Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notanymore ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 03:26PM

We finally heard from our bishop regarding our resignation letters. He called to tell us that before he finalizes it he needs us to mail him our resignation letter signed. Anyone else experience this? I'm thinking that I could call Salt Lake and fight it but it would be easier to just sign it. It's just irritating that you have to go through all of this just to get TSCC to leave you alone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: enigma ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 03:29PM

Did you send your letters to 50 E. N. Temple in SLC?

If you did then he's feeding you a line of bullshit. Just call member records and confirm that they've received your letters and then do the happy dance because you're legally not a member any more. The rest is just them doing their own song and dance for whatever reason makes them feel good and is irrelevant.

Date: April 11, 2013 03:31PM

We e-mailed our resignation letters. Still need a signed copy?

Date: April 11, 2013 03:33PM

Should be the same. Just call member records in SLC and they can set you straight. Bishops, more often than not, don't know what the f$#% they're doing.

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 03:36PM

Type up your resignation on a photocopy of your ass, then sign it.

Date: April 11, 2013 03:36PM

Hehehehehehe!

Date: April 11, 2013 03:48PM

LOL :)

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 03:39PM

they are not supposed to need a signed letter. I resigned about this time last year via e-mail and they never asked me for anything else

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 03:42PM

The new acceptance for legal uses is very often an email which does not require a signature, of course.

If the bishop is holding things up, call SLC Confidential Membership Records and tell them your problem. 800 453 3860 X22053
They have been known to light a fire under the locals! Often the bishops don't know how to properly handle resignations.

Date: April 11, 2013 04:02PM

I called Salt Lake; they said the Bishop is doing what he has been instructed to do and what is in the handbook. He said it would be helpful if we would just sign it. Whatever! This better be the end of it.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 03:43PM

I once quit a job and they demanded a letter of resignation. I was tempted to print out a piece of paper with the letter Y on it. Instead I printed out my letter, it said, I quit.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 07:25PM

Screw that boss. What are they gonna do when you stop showing up, ask for a letter?

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 03:45PM

We never signed a single piece of paper, nor even spoke to our bishop face to face. It was all done via email.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 03:48PM

Also, reply to the bishop with the same message.

You could add that you're not impressed with the lag time in paperwork this misunderstanding has caused.

Posted by: cecil0812 ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 03:56PM

This is the reason why I mailed a signed, notarized letter for my resignation. I wanted no doubt in anybody's mind that I was the one responsible for said letter.

In this situation, I'd probably just go over to his office and sign it. But I wouldn't say anything else. I'd just go over, sign it and leave without a word (or with as few words as possible).

If you do go this route, just remember that he has ZERO power over you. He's just a deluded man, following a scam. He can't make you do anything and he can't do anything to you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2013 03:57PM by cecil0812.

Date: April 11, 2013 04:12PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2013 04:14PM by jacob.

Posted by: sicklethruster ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 04:46PM

I agree with the protocol of the Bishop. Paper is a "signed legal document" while email CAN be forged, etc. One could argue that "someone else" used the computer, etc...

Easier to simply use paper and a stamp with tracking numbers, etc.

As far as someone posting that an employer required it in writing. need it to avoid paying unemployment (claiming fired).

Date: April 11, 2013 04:56PM

If your king is an antique that people still listen to because it used to rule. The only thing paper is really useful for is to wipe an ass and even then you will only be clean if you use a bidet.

Posted by: raisingspecialneeds ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 04:49PM

No he doesn't. Especially if you stated that your resignation was effective immediately. The only thing they would probably be required to do is contact you to make sure you are in fact the one who sent the email.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 04:50PM

What the bishop does and says is totally irrelevant. As soon as you sent your resignation, you were legally OUT.

Ignore the a$$clown and get on with a normal life.

Posted by: 8thgeneration ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 04:52PM

Give him a signed letter and be done. I don't think he trying to be a dick. The church is the dick.

Date: April 11, 2013 04:54PM

to the OP, did you e-mail your resignation to your bishop? Or was it to the church headquarters?

Date: April 11, 2013 04:55PM

church headquarters

Date: April 11, 2013 04:57PM

ok, you should be fine then. Your bishop is just trying to make your life difficult. Sorry you have to deal with him.

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 04:56PM

People like your bishop are so annoying.

If I were a vengeful person I would write another letter to SLC and resign his membership for him. I'm sure he wouldn't lose his membership, but it would probably put a wrench in his life for a day or two.

Date: April 11, 2013 04:59PM

LOL. that would be fun.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 04:59PM

I know my bishop required a signature and date on my letter. I think the only way you can do the email resignation is via Salt Lake (which works if you don't mind waiting the 60 days before they process it.)

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 05:05PM

No you don't. Legally as soon as you tell them, you are out. You are already out.

Explain, in email, that if hear from the church again you will get legaled and they can get legaled and you can have a really good time. This is the last communication you are having on the subject....then follow through if they contact you again.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 05:35PM

Posted by: DonQuijote ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 06:27PM

I resigned last week by e-mail to Salt Lake, then confirmed it in person to the bishopric 2 days later when they showed up at my door at 8:30 at night. They didn't need a signature, but I took the last opportunity I had to preach to them. After that they were more than happy to speed up the process for me and promised me they wouldn't contact me again, even though I told them they were welcome to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2013 06:28PM by DonQuijote.

Date: April 11, 2013 06:33PM

that was my experience as well. I resigned by e-mail, but the bishop (who I'd never met) still came over to make sure it was me. I didn't like it at the time but I understand why they want to do that. Maybe too many bishops complained about having to track down members physically and so they told them to get a siggie instead to confirm?

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 07:09PM

My daughter got out 2 months ago. E-mail only. No signed letter. Tiny people screeching as their last bit of power drains away.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 07:16PM

If he acknowledges reciept of the email you are out. If he says otherwise he LIES!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.