Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 02:13PM

My Beloved Father in Heaven, thanks God for blessings. Help me remember Thy hands meddling in my life and whatever good that has done for me as I wouldn't want Thee to go killing a bunch of non-members because I forgot to thank Thee. Please bless me with one million dollars to feed starving children. I promise I won't use a dime of it for me or my family and while we are on the subject of my family, keep them safe that is unless Thou hast in mind to send them on missions and they will die or be injured. In that case, please give me and my wife the courage not to blame you or your holy mortal leaders.

I am member but I don't know my member number and I close this prayer in the name of the Savior, Jesus Christ, who is our mediator with God, Amen.

"Mormon prayers begin by greeting Heavenly Father in a respectful loving way, such as “Our Father in Heaven,” or “My Beloved Father in Heaven.” Next, the person thanks God for blessings he’s received from God, helping Him to remember to notice God’s hand in his life and to express appreciation for what He’s received. Scriptural history shows that when people forget who sends their blessings, causing them to take credit for their own good fortune, the world suffers.

Next, the person asks for what he needs from God. God is not a magic wand or Santa Claus. The requests need to be carefully considered and be appropriate to ask God for. For instance, it would be inappropriate to ask for a million dollars simply because you want to be rich. On the other hand, if you were raising money to feed hungry children and all the money you raised would go to that cause, the request might be appropriate. Often members ask that their families be kept safe, that they’ll be able to recognize what God wants them to do about a specific problem, or to have the courage to face a challenge ahead.

The member then closes the prayer in the name of the Savior, Jesus Christ, who is our mediator with God, and then says Amen."
http://mormon.lds.net/mormon-beliefs/mormon-prayer

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: April 11, 2013 02:39PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMohy7goBtg
His guy was praying for kids.

Posted by: Ctrringturnsmyfingergreen ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 03:12PM

Nicely done. Always remember to keep your statements vague and non-concrete. There must always be plausible deniability when things don't happen, while at the same time ensuring that when we claim a "miracle" has happened, the scientific types can't disprove it with something as unholy as "evidence".

Date: April 12, 2013 04:08PM

Ctrringturnsmyfingergreen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nicely done. Always remember to keep your
> statements vague and non-concrete. There must
> always be plausible deniability when things don't
> happen, while at the same time ensuring that when
> we claim a "miracle" has happened, the scientific
> types can't disprove it with something as unholy
> as "evidence".

That sounds too political for my tastes. I guess I've never been cut out for Mormon praying. In essence a good Mormon should be political in their prayers?

Your comments can be applied aptly to politics.

Always remember to keep your promises vague and non-concrete. There must always be plausible deniability when things don't happen, while at the same time ensuring that when you can claim a "victory" when a promised thing has happened.

I did find this interesting.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/opinion/55531074-82/opening-pray-invited-utah.html.csp

Posted by: wolfsbane ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 04:39PM

In the end "gods will" trumps everything. If a prayer goes unanswered or a blessing does not work it's always chalked up to going against gods will. What is the point in praying if God is just going do whatever the hell he wants to do anyways?

Date: April 12, 2013 08:19PM

What about the bound god of Mormons? He is "bound" when you do what he tells you.

Posted by: bvd ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 05:12PM

Don't forget to lift your hands above your head and lower them while repeating 3 times: Oh God, hear the words of my mouth!

Date: April 12, 2013 07:40PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer_circle

Why 1978????

Anyway, Mormons have to keep up their peculiar people status which usually mean cultic - their "prayer circles" verses others.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.