Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: April 10, 2013 03:34PM

http://www.assessor.slco.org/cfml/Query/valuationInfo.cfm?parcel_id=33154260020000&nbhd=441&PA=1

Go to this website. Use search by owners name. I put in Chruch of Jesus Christ, Boyd Packer, etc. You will find some crazy land values of the homes of the GAs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: davidlkent ( )
Date: April 10, 2013 03:36PM

Temples for the rabble; mansions for us.

Posted by: rusty123 ( )
Date: April 10, 2013 10:02PM

Yup my parents live in Packers stake, Packer lives in a really nice area...the church sure has blessed him hasn't it!

Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: April 10, 2013 03:38PM

It shows that Boyd K. Packer lives at 1850 E. Forest Bend Dr. His home has 5239 sq. feet and the market value is $1,292,490.00.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 10, 2013 03:39PM

what a humble abode. How does he manage?

Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: April 10, 2013 04:00PM

Has Boyd ever held a job outside of the church and CES?

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: April 10, 2013 04:01PM

One could claim book royalties paid for that mansion.

Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: April 10, 2013 04:03PM

Possibly true.

But then again, would anyone have published (let alone buy) his books if it were not for his church position?

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 10, 2013 04:09PM

This is all assuming that the property value given is the actual correct amount, and is not being manipulated so the GA pays a lower rate.

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: April 10, 2013 04:35PM

Couldn't find anything on Bednar. Is it possible his main home is elsewhere? His children all live far from Utah (Illinois, Texas, Michigan) and his last non LDS job was in Arkansas which his wife loved. Anyone know the family and can answer this?

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: April 10, 2013 04:37PM

Bednar's data is coming. Patience.

Posted by: xombie ( )
Date: April 10, 2013 05:00PM

Cali Sally Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Couldn't find anything on Bednar. Is it possible
> his main home is elsewhere? His children all live
> far from Utah (Illinois, Texas, Michigan) and his
> last non LDS job was in Arkansas which his wife
> loved. Anyone know the family and can answer
> this?

Bend-ar used to live in Idaho. And probably still does. Who knows??

Posted by: BG ( )
Date: April 10, 2013 05:51PM

I think different general authorities have different income streams within the church corporations and businesses, I believe some are quite well off and others actually do receive a " modest income.

The situation may be different now but growing up I was in the homes of Mark E. Petersen and L. Tom Perry. They lived in impressive upper middle class homes, but after getting out and seeing the world, looking I don't think they were ostentatiously rich.

Several of the older General Authorities used to live in the Hotel Utah, and later in condos in a high rise condo building near Canyon Road and 2nd avenue. I worked a part-time job where I delivered furniture to one of the first presidency, his apartment was comfortable but not really ostenatitious.

That being said both of my mission presidents were very wealthy from church positions they had with Church Banking, Insurance, and Buildings.

Posted by: odin ( )
Date: April 10, 2013 08:16PM

Modest stipend? Compared to what? The president of exxon?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 10, 2013 08:41PM

Mormon leaders have absolute freedom from want, guaranteed for life. That's a long way from modest.

Posted by: s4711 ( )
Date: April 10, 2013 09:23PM

Agreed, although it comes at a cost... So while many of the homes listed under some of the other members of the Q12 are relatively more modest, they are doubtless enjoying a level of ecclesiastical care unheard of among Book of Mormon priesthood leaders (including King Benjamin).

Posted by: under radar ( )
Date: April 10, 2013 09:24PM

I know an apostle family that had/has some nice digs in Midway-Heber.
I know the family well and the Big 15 $tipend story makes more sense now . Always thought they were just blessed more. I was always taught they were not paid but the real estate tracks prove different IMO.

Posted by: laurel ( )
Date: April 10, 2013 10:43PM

Let's tell the world. How do we do it?

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: April 10, 2013 10:53PM

Posted by: coolelder ( )
Date: April 10, 2013 11:26PM

maybe they mean modest compared to the salaries of other fortune 500 company executives.

Posted by: qwerty6pack ( )
Date: April 10, 2013 11:30PM

The "old school" has property all along and around Walker Lane.

Southeast of Cottonwood (where the mall was) on the way up to the canyons.

Posted by: h1llb1lly ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 12:29AM

Don't look at the General Authorities homes to see where their money is going. Of course they will live in 'modest' homes so they appear to live 'modest' lifestyles. Look at their children's homes and their family cabins. That is where we can see how they all really live.

Posted by: James M. ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 12:50AM

I once heard that many of the top "15" have second homes on the back side of the mountain in the Midway/Heber area. These are bought with fees they receive for writing books (or at least having ghost writers write their books).

My guess is that these homes would be in someone else's name (such as a relative or shell company) to not arouse suspicion.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 12:38AM

Modest salary is in the eye of their gods, said Mittler.

Posted by: albertasaurus ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 12:44AM

See some of these guys their houses can be explained by their pre-GA employment (Surgeon, Lawyer, Engineer, etc) but some (like ole' Tommy) have worked for the church almost their entire professional life. I happen to know that in general the church pays their employees shit (my ex-father in law used to work for Facilities Management and was paid about $30k/year, probably about 1/2 to 2/3 of what someone in the private sector would make for a similar job - also crappy benefits and very little vacation time. Although he'd always get a book signed by the first presidency for xmas).

So how does a guy like that (Hinkley was another one) end up having so much money at the end of the day?

Posted by: jl ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 03:46AM

Getting $hitty pay? Little vacation time? As Hinkley says, it's all about serving the Lard and making sacrifices.

But, hey, don't ask so-called ga's to do the same. They are "unique" in the eyes of the god who is "no respecter of men."

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 12:47AM

Faust had a bullet-proof sedan back in the 90's. Was that really necessary? I don't think so.

Date: April 11, 2013 02:54AM

I've heard that TSCC has spacious apartments across the temple. I suspect that Bednar lives in one of those until he buys a home in Utah.

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 03:04AM

They probably do get a modest salary. It's the perks, bonus's and the loans that don't have to be paid back, that they don't talk about.

I've seen this in the corporate world. The secretary sees everyones checks as she hands them out. They all look the same. What she doesn't see is the ones that go from headquarters to the bank account. She has no idea that tom is making several million more than Joe.

Not to mention the airfares, free hotels, condos, cash, credit cards for entertaining, and shopping. Corporate jets that can take you anywhere anytime. The whole family goes along sometimes.

Sometimes there's this charming little beachside getaway. It's endless once you get past the little people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2013 03:05AM by mia.

Date: April 11, 2013 03:48AM

True. Very much like some high tech companies. The pay may be "modest," but the stock options are lucrative.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.