Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 02:09AM

just curious of the social dynamics of the ex-mormon community...that's all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 02:18AM

I don't watch, I get Cliff Notes from FB or here. This time around was the church's opportunity to either soften up or to crack down. They chose the latter, by all accounts.

Posted by: jl ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 02:26AM

"Know yourself, know your enemy, and you shall win a hundred battles" - Sun Tzu, ancient Chinese philosopher and military strategist.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 02:29AM

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 02:33AM

I found out the truth in 1999.

I left in 2000

I formally resigned in 2010.

I haven't watched any of it since 2001 or 2002.

Morbid curiosity caused me to tune in this afternoon whilst I was channel surfing and noticed that it was right there.

While it was on, I surfed RFM and it was on in the background. That was when I noticed that nothing had changed in all those years. The same talks. At one point I realized I was hearing verbatim the same exact, I mean verbatim words!!!! Then I realized that the guy was quoting mormon scripture, so of course it would be verbatim.

Anyway, I listened to Mr. Holland's OldPuss and then remembered that I had nice fresh batteries in the remote and watched something way more useful. Martha Stewart has a new show called "cooking school" and she was kind enough to teach me how to boil an egg.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 03:12AM

I watched about 3 minutes of Monsoon and that's all. The reason was several folks on this board mentioned that Monsoon would talk abuot building more temples and sure enough it was the first thing out of his mouth. When you're right you're right. LOL

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 10:28AM

The only way I could tell is if I went to the grocery store on the night of the priesthood session.

Then my daughter went back to the lds church and her way of trying to re-convert me was to come to my house at conference and listen to it on my TV. I know--I'm a pushover. I was privileged to hear the "Women Who Know" talk and also one about anything other than temple marriage being invalid or something--by Russell Nelson.

I knew I'd finally made strides this year when my daughter chose to stay at her apartment and listen to conference before coming out here to have dinner.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 10:32AM

I like advanced warning about what I am up against. Raptor Jesus' thread about YM in Priesthood session being encouraged to reactivate the "lost" is a good example. Now I'll have a head's up that they may be trying to come after my teenage son and he will be on the lookout for any friends that start being extra friendly. Most of his friends are nicer than that though. But since Bishop Jackwagon went right into the stake YM office, I think it's important to stay informed.

Also, it's nice to catch Mormons saying ridiculous things in conference because when Mormons come after you with their faith-building rumors, you can debunk them. It's all about self-defense. In all fairness though, I don't actually watch - I just listen to the reviews on RfM by people who are in family situations where they can't avoid watching. I was lucky my kids didn't even know it was conference weekend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2013 10:32AM by CA girl.

Posted by: DIT ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 10:36AM

I can't tolerate it either...waste of time in my opinion.

Posted by: rqt ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 10:47AM

Why wouldn't I? You're assuming that despising something and avoiding it go hand in hand.

Despising it and deconstructing it - now that's my gig.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 10:48AM

I don't watch it. Just mildly interested in what BS is spewing forth from the Lord's Anointed(TM) this time.

Posted by: minnieme ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 10:49AM

My TBM husband watches it. Believe me it grates on my nerves to hear the Mormon Tabernacle Chior but it drifts through several rooms. So if I need to talk to him I will get bits and pieces.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 10:56AM

Same, but with TBM wife.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 10:52AM

It is like a scene in 'The Hunt for Red October'

Jack Ryan: [in Russian] A little. It is wise to study the ways of ones adversary. Don't you think?
Captain Ramius: [in English] It is.

Posted by: On the Fence No More ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 10:57AM

First time that I haven't watched a single session in my life. Felt great. I felt no guilt about it either. Rather, my time was spent far more productively and I was uplifted far more in other ways.

Yet, I still find myself curious. Hard for me to completely ignore. This time, I specifically wondered...did they let a woman pray? What were the growth numbers like? Are they continuing to slow? What did they decide to crack down on this time? Did Utah get yet another temple? stuff like that. And where most of the talks still standard boiler plates rehashes of the same things making me glad I didn;t listen. I have been LDS far too long to just turn off that curiosity. It may yet still be a while before I truly just don't care anymore.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 12:03PM

The only way I ever know when GC is even happening is because people here post about it. I was wondering the same thing myself. How is it just "on" in your house? Hell, on Sunday mornings, I don't even turn the TV on at all... because there's nothing but religious programming until about noon.

Anyway, years ago, there was a radio station in my area that played "Sunday Blues" -- all blues, all morning, every Sunday morning. For some reason, blues + Sunday mornings just go together like peanut butter and chocolate.

So if I'm even in the house on Sundays, I'm listening to the blues while I'm doing my weekend chores. Lately though, I've been going to brunch with a friend every Sunday and that is usually followed by a movie.

I don't really understand the fascination with keeping up with the cult either. For me, recovery means I don't give the church nor its indoctrination sessions one second of thought nor one shred of my energy. Keeping closer to your enemy doesn't sound like recovery to me. It sounds like hate. And hate is not the opposite of love; hate implies passion and some sense of emotional connection, even if the emotions are negative. Indifference is the opposite of love and that's what I strive to practice toward the cult: indifference.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 12:22PM

The opposite of love is indifference.

It is so true.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 04:41PM

Dogzilla, I'm a big fan of your posts and have been for a long time, but I think you might be slightly off the rails on this one...or maybe it's just me missing some nuance of your point.

I do not have TBM's in my house who just "happen to have conference on," so I'm not forced to hear the droning of TheBrethren for an entire weekend either. Lucky me. Doesn't mean that everybody else is in that situation.

"Know thy enemy" is a completely legitimate reason for being informed of the marching orders TheBrethren are giving their minions. It minimizes the chances that exMo's with TBM family members can blindside them. It gives ExMo's a chance to prepare for tactics their TBM's might use on them next. Just because you and I don't have to deal with it, doesn't mean others are so lucky, yet you accuse them of "hate" for preparing themselves for what the Morgbots will pull on them next. IMO, accusing them of hate is just another form of shaming.

You wrote: "I don't really understand the fascination with keeping up with the cult either. For me, recovery means I don't give the church nor its indoctrination sessions one second of thought nor one shred of my energy."

Maybe I'm missing your point, but isn't continuing to post on multiple exMormon sites giving it more than a second of thought and more than a shred of energy?

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 12:06PM

=)

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 12:10PM

I haven't watched any of it, and won't. It makes me sick to watch it.

I come here to get others take on what's said. I do this because they're still holding my siblings, nieces, nephews, their children, my aunts, uncles, cousins, and their children as hostages.

I'm looking and hoping for the lock to be broken and for them to come through the opening in the prison walls. I'll be there for them when they get out.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 12:11PM

Not really.

I didn't like watching GC when I was mormon. Been out since the mid 1970s. Bet you can guess how many GCs I've watched since.

Timothy

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 12:24PM

I keep up with the coverage of the conference because they often attack who I am and I want to know about when and how they do this.

I talk about it to stand up against their attacks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2013 12:39PM by MJ.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 12:25PM

I called my parents on Saturday and I could hear it in the background on the T.V. It was annoying because I could tell they wanted to get off the phone so they could get back to conference ASAP

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 12:29PM

While languishing in my 15 years of inactivity, it was easy to "imagine" that the church was actually a good institution and that it might have some truth to it. After all, members tend to be really nice people, so my thinking would run along the lines of "look at the nice people, maybe I made a mistake."

I was indoctrinated in my youth, and I still want to believe. But nothing puts that belief in check like listening and studying the words of the leaders. If I'm inattentive I may fall back into bad habits.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 01:04PM

I've blocked BYU channel from my cable lineup. So no, I'm not obsessed about what the cult is up to.

But...I do have to keep tabs on it because my psycho ex-wife drags our 11yo daughter to cult meetings weekly, so I need to know what kind of crzy shi# she's being exposed to.

Posted by: daughterofperdition ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 02:00PM

Because of having all TBM extended family and a NOM husband so family often gets together and talks church - and I only watched a tiny bit to see if they would be so magnanimous as to let a woman pray. Since we get pounded by comments of how spiritual Talk X was by family, I like to find out about it so I can say something snarky. Usually I surf the boards so I don't have to listen to that Mormon voice. There is also a kind of morbid curiosity as to how far down the rabbit hole they will go, and knowing once again that no matter what is said the TBM's get high from getting a hit of those horrible voices. e.g. Facebook quote "Elder Boyd K. Packard was right on when he said any virtue exaggerated transforms itself into vice. I cannot think of a single virtue, and that includes love, kindness, honesty, patience and especially tolerance, that this is not true of." - gag

Posted by: jebus ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 02:24PM

I watched Monson speak to see if he was getting senile. I was curious, given several comments that have been made about him loosing it.

He looked as sharp as ever to me. He never was a scholar or a deep thinker, but he remains a very effective story teller which is all I have ever seen from him.

Sadly, I don't think Boyd KKK is going to get the chance to destroy the Church. Boyd looks like he's in bad shape and Tom looks like he's going strong.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 02:25PM

if Boyd dies and then tommy does, who's next in line?

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 03:53PM

Sometimes you just have to pick at the scab.

Posted by: jangadai ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 03:58PM

This is my first post here, been lurking a while. :)

And this doesn't answer the question, but I just realized that I always felt a sense of guilt after watching conference. I watched it on Saturday - felt guilty. Attended a wonderful Episcopal church the same day and felt loved and accepted by the people and by God. Go figure.

Posted by: En Sabah Nur ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 04:30PM

Watching conference as an exMo is a much different experience than watching it as a member. It exposes that manipulative, thought-controlling tactics of church leadership and lays bare the bigotry inherent in Mormonism.

I will be posting chunks of talks to share with my exMormon and non-Mormon friends, particularly when the Brethren allude to the dangers of tolerance and political correctness. The world should know how misogynistic and homophobic the church really is.

Posted by: moronistrombone ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 04:34PM

Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.

It's as simple as that for me.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 04:34PM

Haven't watched in years. Watched it this last weekend to see if anything has changed, but alas, nothing has changed but the faces and names.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.