Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tilliegilman ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 07:17PM

DH is looking for a new church. One popular local church has this on their website:

If you were baptized as a child by a parent that chose your religion for you, then you must be baptized again.

Also, if you were baptized in a church whose beliefs on baptism differ significantly from ours, you need to be re-baptized. For example, if your previous church taught that you could be baptized on behalf of others for the receipt of salvation then you need to affirm your commitment to Christianity.

----

From my ex-mormon worldview I thought it seemed to reference Mormons. We live about as far from the morridor as possible in the US, so that would be surprising. My town has 12 Mormon wards and about 80,000 people. Is that a big ratio? Are people switching from Mormonism to mega churches that much that this issue needs to be addressed in an FAQ? It just seemed strange. I mean, DH is doing that, but he thought he was alone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 07:25PM

Many Protestant/evangelical/non-denominational churches practice believers baptism, unlike the Catholic, Episcopal & others that baptize infants.

Baptism in the former does not confer any blessings/salvation, etc. It's just a public sign that you've accepted Christ as your savior and been born again. It's accepting that Christ died on the cross for your sins that's important, not the baptism.

My guess is that if someone wanted to formally join this church, part of the membership process is ascertaining that you've accepted Christ and then being baptized again if it wasn't a believers baptism. Baptism wouldn't be required for those just attending services regularly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2013 07:28PM by janebond462.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 07:27PM

I hope so.

In international travel it s called a reciprocal visa tax. You make us get baptized,to join your cult fraud tribe, we'll make you get baptized to join our cult fraud tribe.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 07:27PM

The Mormon baptism is not considered a valid Christian baptism in most Christian sects, so yes, he would have to be baptized a Christian in a new religion.

If you were baptized in another Christian denomination, then no, you would not be required a new baptism, but you would probably have to track down your baptism certificate. If you can't produce one, I'm not sure what the protocol would be. You would probably also have to go through other rites depending on the denomination. Catholics and Episcopalians have Confirmation, but a Catholic convert would not require a new baptism if they were baptized Episcopalian.

Since Mormon beliefs differ from Christian beliefs as far as the godhood, this is why a baptism would be necessary. It's not a re-baptism, as the the Mormon one is not a Christian one. I'm not sure about other types of religions whose baptism would not be considered a valid Christian baptism.

There's the reborn Christians, and I'm not sure if their baptisms are "required" or if it's more of a gesture.

Posted by: New to Utah ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 07:28PM

From what I have seen most traditional Christian churches do not accept Mormon baptism. The church I go to requires the individual be baptized "in the name of the Father, Son, And Holy Ghost". What the Mormons believe associated with those words are so different from traditional Christianity, a re baptism is required. We have a number of members who used to be Mormons, and they are re-baptized (by "sprinkling") when they join the church. Of course you can attend the church as long as you want without joining, and I know of number of Mormons who do that for their own reasons. The only thing you can't do under that circumstance is vote in congregational meetings.

There also are numerous Christian denominations that do not accept infant baptism as practiced in other Christian churches. If you were baptized as a infant in the Methodist church (for example), the Baptists would require you to get re-baptized.

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 07:33PM

As a general rule, most Christian religions recognize the validity of baptism in another variety of Christianity. If you were baptized Christian, they consider you a Christian.

They do not recognize LDS baptism because Mormons do not believe that Jesus is God, so they aren't Christian (according to mainstream Christianity). So, yes, they were singling out LDS baptism as invalid.

The part about not accepting baptism done to a child who had no choice leads me to believe that this is a denomination who practices adult baptism. In such a case, I can understand that they might think it necessary that you consciously chose baptism again. I've never heard it done before, but it doesn't sound too odd either.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 07:37PM

Depends. If you were baptized by a mainstream Christian church before being baptized into the Morg you should be good.

Date: April 07, 2013 07:40PM

Yes, this...I didn't mention it, but if your husband had a Christian baptism as an infant, even though he was baptized into Mormonism, his Christian baptism would still be valid.

I suppose depending on the religion or denomination, a re-baptism might be required, as Newbie and mysid mentioned.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 07:46PM

Do you think your god really cares that you got splashed with or dipped in water? Wouldn't you think there were other things it would find more important to judge you by?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2013 07:52PM by MJ.

Date: April 07, 2013 08:06PM

It's a religious rite. What does it matter to you? You're not converting.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 08:15PM

FYI--those of us who comment on religious cult rituals have to give churches a tax break for donations and property taxes while our beliefs are taxed whenever possible.

Think eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die.

As soon as only the transparent and accountable component of churches that provide charitable value to society (which some most generously and charitably do) receive tax exemption. Most unfortunately not the Mormon fraud cult. I will comment on churches, it is the only value they provide.

Mind-f Sport.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2013 08:24PM by gentlestrength.

Date: April 07, 2013 08:36PM

Or do you believe it is up to you and not your god to judge?

I will now ask the question in another way:

Do you think your god really cares about religious rites? Don't you think your god has other more important things to judge you by?

The question is fair no matter who it comes from. To dismiss it based on my religious affiliation is prejudice.

But I do have to ask, why do you have to get so defensive over a QUESTION?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2013 08:37PM by MJ.

Date: April 07, 2013 08:57PM

The question is whether or not other churches would require a second baptism not "what God thinks."

Date: April 07, 2013 08:59PM

Really?

What god thinks about getting re-baptized is irrelevant? really?

Again, why so defensive over a simple question?

And why are you so quick to dismiss the importance of what god thinks when selecting a religion to worship god?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2013 09:03PM by MJ.

Date: April 07, 2013 09:06PM

The question was not whether or not God cares about rites, the question was whether another denomination would require a second baptism.

Date: April 07, 2013 09:10PM

I mean if the other denomination accepts it, but god does not, you'd be screwed.

Better to ask the RIGHT question, right? When it comes to god, who has the last word, god or the church?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2013 09:13PM by MJ.

Date: April 08, 2013 02:11AM

MJ, you went off on a different direction when answering this post, as if you were answering "what should have been asked." The OP didn't ask what God thinks or if baptism or re-baptism is right or wrong or what God thinks about it. The OP asked this question: "Is it common for other churches [to] make ex-mormons get re-baptized?"

The answer to that is yes, it is common.

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 07:50PM

The churches we investigated--Lutheran, Presbyterian, Methodist, and several local non-denominational Christian churches all told us that baptism would be up to us. These churches do accept a Mormon baptism. I will probably be baptized again, down the road, for myself, because I believe my Mormon baptism was not by choice and not a "Christian" baptism. Also, in some way, a re-baptism might wash away the cult stigma and give me a new beginning, symbolically.

Date: April 07, 2013 08:13PM

That's a good insight about personal choice. I think 8 is too little make such an important commitment. Maybe he will feel empowered now that he has true free-agency on this decision.

Posted by: New to Utah ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 08:53PM

Presbyterians do not accept mormon baptism. They have re-done their website or I would post an original source link. Here is a news article with corroborating information though.
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsfaithblog/55750847-180/church-baptism-catholic-christian.html.csp

Pam

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 02:33AM

I spent some time with Disciples of Christ; their view was that if you considered yourself previously baptized that was your call. If you wanted a fresh dunking they would do it for you.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 08:20PM

http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0802443.htm

"In 2001 the Vatican's doctrinal congregation issued a ruling that baptism conferred by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints cannot be considered a valid Christian baptism, thus requiring converts from that religion to Catholicism to receive a Catholic baptism."

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 08:28PM

I don't know of any other church that, as a matter of habit does proxy baptisms. It does seem rather odd and obvious this is referring to Mormonism. Perhaps the church you go to has a number (for whatever reason) of exmo members? In which state is this church located?

I can't imagine seeing that statement (unless it is one of many) posted by a Christian church that is so Mormon specific.

tilliegilman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> DH is looking for a new church. One popular local
> church has this on their website:
>
> If you were baptized as a child by a parent that
> chose your religion for you, then you must be
> baptized again.
>
> Also, if you were baptized in a church whose
> beliefs on baptism differ significantly from ours,
> you need to be re-baptized. For example, if your
> previous church taught that you could be baptized
> on behalf of others for the receipt of salvation
> then you need to affirm your commitment to
> Christianity.
>
> ----
>
> From my ex-mormon worldview I thought it seemed to
> reference Mormons. We live about as far from the
> morridor as possible in the US, so that would be
> surprising. My town has 12 Mormon wards and about
> 80,000 people. Is that a big ratio? Are people
> switching from Mormonism to mega churches that
> much that this issue needs to be addressed in an
> FAQ? It just seemed strange. I mean, DH is doing
> that, but he thought he was alone.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 08:30PM

Sorry, I missed part of your post. The number of wards you post per the number of people in your town IS a large number of Mormons, relatively speaking.

tilliegilman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> DH is looking for a new church. One popular local
> church has this on their website:
>
> If you were baptized as a child by a parent that
> chose your religion for you, then you must be
> baptized again.
>
> Also, if you were baptized in a church whose
> beliefs on baptism differ significantly from ours,
> you need to be re-baptized. For example, if your
> previous church taught that you could be baptized
> on behalf of others for the receipt of salvation
> then you need to affirm your commitment to
> Christianity.
>
> ----
>
> From my ex-mormon worldview I thought it seemed to
> reference Mormons. We live about as far from the
> morridor as possible in the US, so that would be
> surprising. My town has 12 Mormon wards and about
> 80,000 people. Is that a big ratio? Are people
> switching from Mormonism to mega churches that
> much that this issue needs to be addressed in an
> FAQ? It just seemed strange. I mean, DH is doing
> that, but he thought he was alone.

Date: April 07, 2013 08:44PM

I wondered about that. I have no idea what the normal numbers are outside the morridor. Maybe that's why they seem more aware of Mormonism than I expected.

Posted by: jl ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 02:17AM

It really depends on the denomination of the new church you are going to, or if it's a non-denominational church, it depends on what they believe about baptism.

For Catholics, Baptists, ad well as Presbyterians, I think you have to be re-baptized.

For Episcopalians, it depends on which diocese you are in. In some dioceses, it does not matter who performed the baptism for you or if you were immersed in water, as long as it was performed in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Posted by: Sapphire ( )
Date: May 29, 2013 03:51PM

The bible does implicate that you must be baptized by immersion, not 'sprinkled' so to speak. I've always believed in waiting for my children to make their own decision. However, since we were baptized Morman in our early years and our now going to a mainstream bible church for which we would like to become members, we are now facing the decision whether to become re-baptized and I have told our pastor we would 'consider it'. It seems redundant. As someone mentioned above, I have accepted Christ as my savior in the Lord's eyes no matter what church, and he is the ultimate judge/church. But I believe after obtaining more information on this post, the best thing to do will be to pray on it. It does seem though, that having been a Mormon even though I am not a practicing one anymore, it does seem like a lot of people do have a lot of mis-information about them and should really learn about the religion before you make comments you know nothing about!

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: May 29, 2013 04:02PM

My dad was baptized as a baby in the Catholic church.
Then as an adult in his late 30's got baptized in the Mormon Church.
And when he left the Mormons, he eventually got baptized Pentecostal.
In the end of his life, he was saying he wanted to be baptized Mormon again (by that time he had had a stroke that had left part of his brain not working well)

Anyways, talking with people of the different churches at different times, the Catholic said that he was catholic because the first baptism is the one that counts.
The Pentecostal said that obviously the Pentecostal baptism was the one that counted because it was his last choice.
The Mormons said that since the other churches did not have the authority from God to baptized, the only baptism that as any value was his Mormon one.

Posted by: adiokid ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 09:33PM

In the Roman Catholic Church as long as you were baptized in "The Name of The Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" and you did not convert from the Mormon's whom we believe do not have a valid baptism. You will not have to be baptized again. Your Pastor will be able to let you know whether or not your baptism was valid. Most main-stream Christian Religions (Catholic, Episcopal, United Methodist, etc.) do not re-baptize unless there is a problem with the first.

Posted by: ipseego2 ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 10:20PM

The general rule among churches is that they recognize a baptism performed "in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit", that is, if the Trinity is mentioned as part of the baptism ritual. The problem with the Mormon Church is that their view of the Trinity is so different from the normal view that the two cannot be considered the same.

Some churches have the theological view of "believers' baptism", which says that baptism is a confirmation of the baptizands expressed faith, and so require that the baptizand is able to express their faith themselves. Other churches consider baptism an act performed on the baptizand by the priest/minister on behalf of God, and so accept baptism of infants. Churches of the first group generally don't accept infant baptisms from churches of the second group, but generally they do accept adult baptisms from churches of the second group. The best way to know is to ask the pastor of the church in question. That can be safely done as most normal churches don't share the Mormon drive to dunk as soon as possible.

If there is doubt about the validity of a baptism performed in another church, most normal churches have solutions for that. Again: the pastor will know and give answers.

Posted by: KiNeverMo ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 10:34PM

As far as I know, many born-again churches want a person to first "get saved", THEN seek baptism for themselves. Infant baptisms don't "count".

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 11:30PM

A church that requires a "re-baptism" is likely to be a "letter of the law" sort of church. Proceed according to their directions if that's what you want.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 11:44PM

My city has 1 CULT ward and 100,000 people. Still too many for my taste.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.