Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: smithscars ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 08:18AM

I was having some strange sensations and tingling feelings and was searching the internet to figure out what was happening and came across this information on ASMR.

It's interesting because its become popular for people to make whispery YouTube videos meant to trigger the ASMR sensations so people can have "brain orgasms" Haha. As I was watching some of the videos it reminded me of the fake, super sincere voices the LDS leaders use in conference.

Here's the Wikipedia on ASMR: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_sensory_meridian_response#section_1

** I've always hated the clickity clack and lickity lips at general conference. In one YouTube ASMR videos the girl says some people don't like it when she does it but for others it really triggers the ASMR.

I wonder how many spiritual experiences are just ASMR type stuff. What do you think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 10:08AM

And now you've explained to me exactly why I stayed as a convert in the church so long! I had one of those experiences . . . my non-mo sister was visiting me out West from 3,000 miles across country. I was a newly minted Mormon.

I saw my sister picking up the Book of Mormon laying in my bedroom with a testimony written in front by a friend. She skimmed the testimony and quickly laid the book back down as she heard me approaching.

I bore my testimony as to the truthfulness of the book and gave her a rundown on it's history of ancient American inhabitants (ancsestors of the American Indians). As I spoke, a chill ran through my body - literal goosebumps - starting from my head to my toes. The prickling lasted for several moments. It felt like my body was on fire, which I interpreted to be the Holy Ghost.

That was a powerful, physical manisfestation to me that the Gospel was true. Even when confronted with "facts" years later, it took a LOT of logic and reasoning to undo my belief system - all strongly based on that one "spiritual witness" of the truth.

Do you have any interesting links from YouTube on ASMR? TIA.

;o)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2013 06:11PM by shannon.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 12:40PM

shannon Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
>
> Do you have any interesting links from YouTube on
> ASMR? TIA.
>
> ;o)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T9DM5TiB4o

Posted by: srena nli ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 11:53AM

However, that ultra slow, funeral director cadence from the LDS geezers is just irritating, not relaxing, especially coupled with the subject matter. T could generate responses like "Will you PLEASE speedup before I have to goose you?" or a stoned stupor leading to sleep.

The "gentlewhispering" woman is rather relaxing to listen to, like having someone gently play with or brush your hair. Brings on what I'd guess could be mistaken for a spurchal feeling.

Posted by: srena nli ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 05:49PM

Gaaaaah! I hate wet mouth noises.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 12:06PM

There are a lot of ASMR videos on YouTube. Someone speaks in really soft tones, giving you tingly sensations all over your scalp. It can also lull you to sleep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKOfM2MIsgo

Although I definitely don't get that reaction from General Conference talks. Because of their weird tone of voice, I couldn't even watch it now, even if I wanted to. They're voices creep me out too much.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 06:40PM

For a while a couple of years ago I was taking Zoloft for PTSD. When I decided to quit, I found that stopping this stuff can't be done cold turkey! You suffer strong braingasms that feel like an electric shock going from head to spine. Perhaps ASMR is similar.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 06:46PM

Interesting information, all. Thanks!

Posted by: mootman ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 07:01PM

This is the first I've learned this term "ASMR"

but it reminds me of two things-

1. How my yoga instructor makes me feel at the end of the 40 minute session (the eastern music etc)

2. That cult experts say that cults sometimes use this technique

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 07:42PM

Is this like the chills you get from an awesome song? If so, I have never felt that when listening to an old fart try and make me feel like garbage.

Posted by: petrouchka ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 04:12AM

Just today I heard a segment on NPR's "This American Life" about ASMR. I can see a connection to the sing-song cadence used during Conference talks to evoke feelings in the listener which they will no doubt attribute to The Spirit.

Very interesting information on the phenomena, thanks for sharing.

Posted by: smithscars ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 07:33AM

The part that interests me is that people are having these physical responses triggered by an unnatural speech style and sounds. Some doctors see it as a new phenomenon.

For me, the feelings are very extraordinary and could easily be mistaken for a spiritual witness.

Maybe the Mormon voice is different and causes some different types of feelings for people but since the church is so feelings based its probably confusing for people who get those feelings when listening to the different way of speech in Mormonism.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 09:40AM

I've had responses like that to a soft voice ever since I was a little child.

There's a lady on the psychetruth channel on YouTube who has the most calming voice. I listen to her videos sometimes before I go to bed, because it really relaxes me. She just has such a soothing voice.

She doesn't whisper, but there's just something about her voice, combined with the soft music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy5Sqw8gre0

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 12:23PM

Thank you. Interesting way to label what I have noticed in past Conference speeches. The manner of speaking has always been different than any for military, professional, university, financial, political, instructional, etc. seminars, training, classes, or speeches that I have ever heard.

After watching YouTube ASMR videos, I listened to some of the women speaking in Mo Conference and they are very similar. Elaine Dalton is particularly offensive in written text, but I don't even realize what she is saying in her conference talk.

It is notable that all the women speakers have a constant phony smile on their faces while speaking and the men don't. It seems to be a coached or a de facto rule on the cult that women speak in such a manner. Maybe it is acquired from years of brainwashing from birth. You don't see many converts up there, if any.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.