Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 10:50AM

I know there are quite a few other redheads on the board and a few posters that have declared themselves redhead fans. So I thought I would share this, just for kicks and giggles.

The only thing that is missing is that we gingers have no soul ;). We can thank South Park for that one.

Hope you enjoy these!

--Red hair is a genetic mutation.

--Red hair is seen on the heads of only 4 % of people. Most in the UK, Ireland and Australia.

--In the US, only 2% of people have red hair.

--Redheads have a specific gene called the melanocortin 1 receptor (MC1R), found on the 16th chromosome. This single gene is responsible for red hair.
This wasn't discovered until the late 1990's.

--Redheads sometimes require up to 20% more anesthesia, concluding that we are much harder to sedate.

--Redheads have always been thought untrustworthy.
Judas is depicted as a redhead displaying the first prejudice against red hair.

--Bees are thought to sting redheads more than others.

--In ancient Egypt, red hair was seen as so unlucky, red-haired girls were burned alive.

--In medieval Europe, the infamous witch-hunting manual, Malleus Maleficarum, instructed that red hair and green eyes were marks of a witch, as were freckles, which redheads tend to have aplenty.

--Redheads tend to bleed more, due to slightly different clotting factors, which again is a genetic factor.

Redheads bruise more easily than people with different colored hair.

--Common Redhead stereotypes are: bad temper, sexual fire, untrustworthy, being smart and eccentric.

--In Denmark, it is a high honor to have a redheaded child.

--The redheaded gene is recessive, so red hair can show up many generations later. It takes both parents carrying the specific gene to produce a redheaded child.

--Because of the rare pigment in our hair, it is often harder to dye red hair and usually takes longer.

--It is said that while in Poland, if you pass three red-heads you'll win the state lottery.

--If a man with dark hair has a red-headed beard (such as Daniel) they are more likely to carry at least one different copy of the red haired gene. (obviously.)

--There is a belief that redheads are prone to industrial deafness. This actually could be true as the melanocytes are found in the middle ear.

--In the late 16th century, the fat of a redheaded man was an essential ingredient for poison.

--There have been studies done to confirm whether or not redheads are more prone to become addicts than those with blond or brunette colored locks. It is thought to be so.

--Red haired/blue eyed combinations are said to be one of the rarest combinations. It is usually more common to see a redhead with brown or green eyes than with blue.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 10:56AM

His red hair is more on the lighter golden red, but his son has the brightest blue eyes and the prettiest shade of red hair. :)

Date: March 31, 2013 10:57AM

I have the red hair, Blue eyes combo. My mom has been telling me my whole life how rare it is. Until I saw the stats, I didn't really realize it.

Little redheads are the cutest!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2013 10:57AM by fidget.

Posted by: bratschedan ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 12:20PM

I have red hair and blue eyes too!

Posted by: Nancy Rigdon ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 08:16PM

Me too!

Red hair doesn't usually grey either. It turns white.

Posted by: slcbunk ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 01:12PM

DW and I wanted to have a redhead, kind of a strange wish I guess. But, that's exactly what we got and she is the cutest damn thing you have ever seen! Neither one of us are redheads BTW. As funny as it sounds, it IS a genetic mutation.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 11:56AM

Very little gray, just at the temples, even though he just turned 60.

He is brilliant and eccentric.

Posted by: cece ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 01:18AM

I have red hair and blue eyes, no freckles. :) I didn't know it was rare to have it. :))))

Posted by: Cinnamint ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 11:13AM

I have red hair and blue eyes! (Facebook, Shelley Koffel)

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 11:17AM

I have a facebook friend who posted that same list yesterday. We were band nerds together. Both of us played trumpet. Sadly, she lives two states away, because I have the funny filling we'd hook up if we ever got within a ten mile radius of each other. We went through a lot of the same crap together.

Posted by: catwallada ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 11:50AM

"It is said that while in Poland, if you pass three red-heads you'll win the state lottery."

That has to be the most weirdly specific superstition I've ever heard.

Posted by: LCMc ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 12:24PM

I hate the bad rap redheads get, like the saying beat like a red headed step child.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 12:26PM

Date: March 31, 2013 01:54PM

Of course we do. Every freckle is a soul we've stolen..

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 01:56PM

Liu Kang wants his brother's soul back.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 12:26PM

For all my redheaded friends...

http://youtu.be/KVN_0qvuhhw

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 12:29PM

A friend of mine from Ireland who's into sailing told me about an Irish superstition that a redhead aboard a boat brings bad luck.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 03:15PM

NeverMo in CA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A friend of mine from Ireland who's into sailing
> told me about an Irish superstition that a redhead
> aboard a boat brings bad luck.

Well.... I sail and haven't brought anyone bad luck... so far. Today I was on duty as Race Officer and only 5 boats capsized - all well and a jolly good day.

Maybe that's because I've faded to corn with green eyes now I'm getting old :-)

I'm still toast though.

Briggy

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2013 05:17PM by brigantia.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 07:28PM

for a red-headed sailor, I'd be willing to take my chances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXr4N51RsHA

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 10:21PM

I love Jeeves and Wooster, and I love Hugh Laurie because he loves Wodehouse.

Have you read The Gun Seller?

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 01:03PM

My father was a brown eyed carrot top. His hair went auburn in later life and his hair was white when he hit old age.

I was a brown eyed blonde and when I hit adolescence my hair turned the color of clover honey and it has remained that color to my curret age of 53. I have very little grey and I don't color my hair.

My dad had gall bladder surgery in the late 50's and woke up during surgery. This was before it documented that red heads needed more anesthesia.

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 01:31PM

I married a red head, and while he has freckles he tans very well. I have the red head gene on my side as well, but all 4 of our kids are blonde. Maybe I'll get a red headed grandbaby someday.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 01:43PM

I have red hair and blue eyes also. I'm 50 now and it has become much lighter with white streaks. 2 of my 3 sisters are red hair with blue eyes. 5 kids in family, first black hair blues eyes than 3 red heads with blue eyes and last with black hair hair blue eyes. My mom had black hair and dad had brown hair. My moms friends would sometimes jokingly ask what color was the milk mans hair (we had milk men back then) This would get her giggling...ahhh I so miss her..

Posted by: rescueranger ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 04:34PM

I would have been burnt alive, I'm a red head with green eyes ....

Posted by: southern should login ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 05:16PM

60 years ago when my mom was born she had bright red hair and blue eyes. Her mother had black hair and brown eyes was under twilight sleep during birth. When they brought her the baby she said, "thats not my baby!" and was placed in a psych ward briefly. When they got home my grandpa, who had blue eyes and brown hair, grew his red beard out so that the neighbors wouldnt gossip...

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 07:19PM

My father is red-headed and I have two red-haired sisters. Alas, I'm not. My hair is flaxen, eyes blue.

Posted by: Marcion ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 08:12PM

"Common Redhead stereotypes are: bad temper, sexual fire, untrustworthy, being smart and eccentric."

All true, except for the untrustworthy part.

Red hair, hazel/blue eyes here.

Posted by: Lorraine aka síóg ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 08:24PM

A pishogue (superstition) from Co Tipperary, Ireland: If you meet a redheaded woman in the morning, you may as well go back home to bed; you'll have no luck the whole day.

My husband is one of a family known locally in the village/town in Ireland from which his family comes as 'white-haired', ie, blond. However there are several redheads among them, including my husband (green eyes).

I was surprised to find so many redheads when we moved to Salzburg. I think they are reminders of the Celtic forebears in this part of Europe. I also understand that redheads are more likely to carry neanderthal DNA. Let me add, that's not a bad thing.

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 08:48PM

I'm thinking about the green hair and red eyes option.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 08:56PM

Red hair, green eyes, and big boobs. A rare combination indeed.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: April 01, 2013 12:49AM

AKA the Holy Trinity. ;)

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: April 01, 2013 09:41AM

I'm a ginger, but not a flaming red one. My husband swears my hair has not a hint of red to it, but when I tried to dye my hair a shade that made a big change in high school, strawberry blonde, only my silvers changed. The rest of my hair is already that color.
(I think my husband could be a bit color blind...)
What does that make me? Does strawberry blond count? Mine is not as light as fidget's, but I avoid the sun.
Blue eyes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2013 09:43AM by WinksWinks.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: April 01, 2013 09:43AM

I was born blonde, but when my hair started to darken, my mom started getting it colored. In the 90s, I let it go natural and it turned out I had a lot of copper in my hair. Now it's reddish, though I do color it to cover the silver. Even when I use light brown, it turns reddish.

I have blue eyes.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.