Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: subeam ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 08:06AM

Like the Primary General Presidency?
Or the Relief Society General Presidency?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jl ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 08:11AM

They are just "officers," not authorities.

Right, they treat women as men's "equal" partners.[rolling my eyes.]

Posted by: subeam ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 08:19AM

But do they get $$ for all their time? I assume the church pays for their plane tickets.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 08:31AM

I would imagine that anyone playing at that level is on the payroll. The last thing they need from some one that high up is disgruntlement.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 04:10PM

The women are not Called to be General Authorities.

These are considered General Authorities. Many members are not sure. So here you go:

http://www.lds.org/church/leaders?lang=eng

First Presidency, (3)
Quorum of the Twelve Apostles,(12)
The Presidency of the Seventy, (7)
The First Quorum of the Seventy, (59)
Second Quorum of the Seventy , 15)
The Presiding Bishopric, (3)

The women serve in the General Auxiliaries
Primary, (3)
Relief Society, (3)
Young Women , (3)

MEN serve in the Sunday School General Auxiliaries (3)
and the Young Men (3)

Now to the question of renumeration. It is my experience that salary, stipends, etc, are a matter of confidentiality.

(Don't get me started on the HUGE HUGE HUGE Confidentiality Loop in the LDS Church even though their Handbooks prohibit it...
another subject for another post.)

It seems to me these general authorities and presidencies of general auxiliaries are employees of the LDS Church and as such receive some kind of salary, or stipend.

I would love to know what that is!
I know mission presidents/wives receive money for their time/service.

At this point, it would take someone "in the know" , a relative, for instance, to share some info.

In the past, the salaries of anyone employed by the LDS Church was far below the average salaries for the same kind of work.

CES: Church Educational System pays it's teachers and directors depending on their employment: full time, part time, one quarter time, as well as their secretaries/assistance.

Posted by: kenc ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 04:28PM

I cannot speak to the issue of women serving in presidencies of general boards, but I an speak to the CES payment issue (employed full time 27 years).

When I first began working for CES in 1975 my salary amounted to $8700 per year. We were starving but told not to even think about food stamps (though we qualified).

During the 1980s things changed. (1) CES raised salaries for 9 month contracts that were equal to or better than those public education teachers. (2) They permitted us the option to work during the summer on special projects or curriculum or recruitment. That in effect gave us 12 month salaries with vacation time equivalent to a public school teacher.

When I left in 2002, my base salary was 63,000 and my summer salary was just under another $10,000. I was supposed to serve as the Institute Director adjacent to Washington State University. I quit in Aug. 2002 however, before the spring semester started.

Now I understand CES has taken away the "summer option" of working, and simply made the teachers abide by a 12 month contract with a certain amount of vacation. If they choose to take vacation during the breaks of the adjacent college, then they have less or none to use during the summer - just like everyone else.

I am certain (my wife always tries to warn me about being certain) that when they instituted the mandatory 12-month contract, they likely adjusted wages up, accordingly.

CES paid for my Masters and my PhD. I received many salary bumps for that extra education. When I was taking coursework and working on the thesis and dissertation, some members of my committee were usually made less than me, especially those below Full and Associate Professor.

In universities there is usually a tiered system of payment. The humanities, education and liberal arts are all paid the lowest, with math, sciences, technology and engineering being at least one or two tiers higher. A law school would be a tier higher, and a medical school would be the top tier.

CES peeps were usually paid a little above the bottom tier.

I hope that helps. It helped me to take a little time off work!

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 04:17PM

Her "roommate" in NYC was offered a very influential position in BYU's management. She was at Columbia at the time. She did not want to relocate without the woman she loved so a position was found for the other woman on the general board.

They were a female couple, sharing their lives, expressing their love for one another. They even did firesides on how it was ok for people to love one another very deeply. They were a lot of fun to be with. Imagine if they had been male!

Anyway, I asked the board member what the purpose of the general board was and she said "To be bored in general!"

I believe they are now retired and still together.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 05:16PM

Posted by: pandora ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 04:35PM

I actually know this one! Usually I don't add much to this board but:

My mom knows someone who was released from the general relief society presidency in the past ten years. She was not paid at all. Things got very tough for her financially. The church had a stylist that told her how she was expected to dress and do her hair. She had to buy all of those ridiculous suits and pay to have her hair done frequently. Prior to her calling she was a pretty plain Jane who didn't care to much about having expensive cloths and hairstyles so this was a big change for her. She had to travel all the time which made it impossible to work. The church paid for her travel expenses. The other women on the board had wealthy husbands that were flipping the bill for all of their expenses. My moms friend went to a member of the twelve to tell them that the financial burden was getting to be to much. He told her to write a book to make money. When she informed him that she wasn't an author he told her to get a ghost writer. When she was released she had to go back to work to build up her retirement again because it had been drained by the calling. All of the men with big callings get salaries because of the boards they sit on for companies that were built on our tithing money but they hang the women out to dry.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 05:11PM

Is there any verifiable evidence that female general auxiliary leaders are not paid a salary, while male general authorities are salaried? It doesn't even matter what the amount of the salary is.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 05:16PM

They don't get paid. Don't remember where i read it. Probably Quinn, maybe Daymon Smith.

Posted by: justrob ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 05:36PM

That's very interesting.

How I'd love to have 30 min with TSCC's books.
Seriously, that's all it would take. 30 min of unfettered access, and you could make at least 10% of their members leave.

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 07:59PM

Thanks Pandora. That's really interesting. I cannot imagine myself EVER accepting a position like that. Tells us all something about the level of insanity among Mormon TBM women who crave being LDS celebrities.

Posted by: DeludedAngel ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 08:48PM

The fact that the females general authorities don't get paid while the male general authorities do really pisses me off but the whole stylist telling the women how to dress and do their hair is angering and creepy. I've always thought the women general authorities were like Stepford wives...they really are!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 07:34PM

I do know there are tax write-offs for "callings" if you itemize.
We used them for years. Not much, but they helped.

I thought that the women (in the church presidencies-auxiliaries) received some kind of reimbursement for travel, etc. and/or a stipend of some sort.

I suppose that the church considers it a volunteer calling not employment. That probably explains why they are not paid anything for their service. Calling vs employment.

I do know that the RS pres. for the church at one time, used to do a lot of traveling. I can't imagine that she paid for all of that herself.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 07:40PM

Only genital authorities with male genitals get paid.

Posted by: abinadiburns ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 09:20PM

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 09:16PM

No... Woops I'm sorry I thought it said "laid"

Posted by: Bradanderson12 ( )
Date: October 01, 2023 12:37PM

The seventies gets paid a stipend of $169k a year for devoting full time to the church.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 01, 2023 12:46PM

Are you able to tell us how you know this?

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: October 01, 2023 01:02PM

How many female seventies are there?

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: October 01, 2023 01:12PM

No. They do not get paid beyond travel expenses.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.