Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dee2 ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 10:58AM

Yesterday I started watching a show on the History Channel proportedly about if someone discovered America before Columbus and when I tuned in it was talking about the Mormon claims and how Hebrews left and could have sailed to America, etc. Some Indian tribe claimed to be Hebrew and their DNA was tested - no match.

Is this channel owned or subsidized by Mormon $$$? If so it is so NOT A HISTORY CHANNNEL.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jim Huston ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 11:17AM

The History channel is owned by A&E Television Networks.

A&E is a joint venture of the Hearst Corporation (37.5% ownership), The Walt Disney Company (37.5%), and NBC Universal (25%). The network is a result of a merger in 1984 between Hearst/ABC's Alpha Repertory Television Service (ARTS) and (pre-General Electric merger) RCA-owned The Entertainment Channel.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 02:38PM

I'm more likely to believe that Hebrews are the ancestors of Native Americans though.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 01:15PM

Sounds ligitimate to me.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 01:19PM

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 03:04PM

back when it was all WWII all the time.

Now it's become some unwatchable bastard stepchild of the SYFY Channel and the National Enquirer.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 09:12AM

+1000

Posted by: an observer ( )
Date: November 24, 2013 12:58PM

for years the History channel has been warping information that curiously alligns with Mormonism. It seems to be a propaganda tool & not really historical info. NatGeo is not better- just like "do not believe everything in print", no one should believe info on a slick cable network as history or fact.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 24, 2013 01:55PM

I think that was the same one our resident archaeologist Richard-the-Bad dismissed with a decidedly unprintable--and unscholarly--analysis.

Scott Wolter is often featured on programs involving the "Quest for the Holy Grail in North America" and he's based his work on the proven fraud, the Kensington Runestone, which was "unearthed" in Minnesota in the 19th Century. Curiously, that area of Minnesota was settled by Scandanavians whose ancestors were the Vikings who are alleged to have carved the Runestone. More curiously, none of these artifacts have been found in coastal regions where one would think the likelihood of landfall would make them more common. Finally, before the construction of the canal on the St. Lawrence River, passage into the Great Lakes was an impossibility because of unnavigable rapids.

Richard is right. This stuff is bullshit.

Similarly, the Nat Geo Channel has ties with Fox (and doesn't rely all that much on the National Geographic Society and it's hundred year plus record of excellence in science reporting). It's been infected with the tabloid virus known to have been brought to this current in virulent form by a certain Rupert Murdoch.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 24, 2013 03:24PM

Xenu zipped in from Kolob the other day, and we had a mocha latte wine spritzer together. He's very concerned about his galactic royalties.

Posted by: Dead Cat ( )
Date: November 24, 2013 10:15PM

I think that was a portion of the series.

I saw one about Welsh royalty as well as vikings.
They looked at possible ties with Japan.
There was also a blurp on mormon views.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 24, 2013 10:28PM

I liked the history channel better when it was AH-1 ..... All Hitler all the time.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 24, 2013 10:34PM

Whoever owns it,it has little to do with history these days

Posted by: Nancy Rigdon ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 09:00AM

I saw that same program awhile back. My impression was much different. I thought it proved the BOM claims were NOT true, as well as other theories. I was going to suggest it to my TBM dad who loves history.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.