Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tombs1 ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 01:33PM

I am from AZ and grew up in Mesa, those of you from AZ probably know of a little building near the temple that has a sign out front and it reads, "Concerned Christians" blah blah blah blah. I go there every now and than just for my own enlightenment (not because I want to be part of their ministry). Well two people work there (one is an ex mo) and I have told them my experience about growing up non-denominational chrisitan and converting to mormonism and than leaving. Well at first I thought that they were smart enough people and had some good info on Joe Smith's history ect. But I have made it clear that I am now an agnostic/atheist and will never follow any religion again. That is fine with them, but they believe that I am going to hell because I do not litterally believe in Jesus Christ and accept him as my lord and savior. They also claim that Christianity is not really a religion but a group of people who follow christ??? (I forget their logic behind that). The Ex Mo's (I wont use his name) exit story is pretty wacky, and you can watch it on their website if you want. I have many stories about my different interactions with them which would be many different posts but, has anyone else on here ever met them? I would like to hear your story if so. THX.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: memyself ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 02:52PM

I am in Scottsdale...I was a convert.. quickly left too after 2 yrs of hell..I have not been to the Temple..TG..so I am not aware of the "Concerned Christians"..I think I might like to talk to any exmos in person..Its kind of lonely here in AZ, I am from San Diego...I think that's how the mormons got to me..LOL..Im going to check out their website..TY I have a whacky story too

Posted by: Jack J ( )
Date: August 03, 2016 03:23PM

I know it's been a few years since this post. I would like to have some communication with tombs1 off of this site if I could. I would like to pick your brain on a few of these issues, but I need to be anonymous. How can I set this up, if you are interested, that is.

Posted by: Used by CC ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 01:09PM

Until recently I ran the daily operations at Concerned Christians for 2 years. I was a volunteer there for about 7 years. It was a thriving operation, relatively speaking, when they had two ministers working there. The operation has been destroyed by an incompetent board. The spirit of hate, bigotry, self-righteousness and IGNORANCE has replaced the spirit of Christ there a long time ago. Ever since their staff has moved on, Concerned Christians has done practically nothing for anyone except take donations. Now they have been closed for about 6 months. Once or twice a week someone shows up to get phone messages (which before they closed was 2 calls a week on average) and to collect the donations. When I first started volunteering there, one of the ministers used to say to me, "keep the lines clear, both lines are lit up" at times because the calls were pouring in. They had slow periods then too, but not like what it has become.

When the co-founder goes to the Chairman and asks to put someone's useful video on their website, and the chairman says no because that would give the other people the out-of-Mormonism business and not us,that tells me they have no idea what the ministry is about.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 06:25PM

I'm from Mesa too. No wacky story but I would see them set up outside the Easter pageant and what not and have always been put off by them.

Posted by: Albinolamanite ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 06:37PM

I live in Arizona too and I have to say that my favorite group is jews for jesus. I moved here from San Diego too. I haven't had any direct interaction with concerned christians. Living here, you just have to accept that Arizona is the laughingstock of the country. Politically, religiously, educationally, and in pretty much every other way, Arizona is a joke. The only thing that makes Arizona different from other bastions of progression like Alabama and Tennessee is geographical location.

Posted by: memyself ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 11:12PM

@Albinolamanite...Yes it is very different here..very!!...But we do have some great hiking...take the good with the bad, right :) Think I will be staying away from any religious groups

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 10:24PM

"The only thing that makes Arizona different from other bastions of progression like Alabama and Tennessee is geographical location."

There's also the fact that Alabama and Tennessee ain't the freakin' desert.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 02:24PM

they are an intellectual desert.

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 11:06PM

"They also claim that Christianity is not really a religion but a group of people who follow christ???"

An odd claim. Either they don't know what the definition of "religion" is, or this is their way of pointing out that Christianity is not a single religion, but rather a catch-all term for mutltiple religions--all of which have a few key things in common, like following Christ. After all, Roman Catholics, Pentecostals, and Amish are all radically different religions, but all fall under the umbrella "Christian".

Posted by: molly_phobic ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 11:57PM

Hi tombs1,

I'm an AZ girl myself, AND I've met the ex-mo guy at Concerned Christians, too. I also got an off vibe from those folks, who didn't really seem interested once I made it clear I'm a confirmed non-theist--not an agnostic, not an atheist, a non-theist. My clarity in terms seemed to shake his confidence a bit :).

However, I think that the group genuinely WANTS to do good, within the narrow confines of their defined mission--getting people out of mo-ism and into protestant christianity. I think that, for some people, this mission can do a lot of good. For others (read non-believers), maybe not so much . . .

In the end, my one visit to their offices got me a copy of the Tanners' book, a DVD on the fundy's polygamy practices, and a chance to crack some angry jokes at TSCC's expense. Not too bad for a few hours of my life!

Posted by: sugarinmt@msn.com ( )
Date: October 25, 2013 11:23PM

Thank you for the hard work you do!

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 05:25PM

Hello Tombs.

Haven't seen you in a while.

I am now living here in Historic Temple Districtmyself and the CC's building down the street now has a for sale sign on it.

I haven't heard where they've moved to but I can only hope it is to hell.

My contact with them was short..... and ended as soon as I was asked if I'd been saved.

Thankfully I'm saved from the bible thumpers in my neighborhood anyhow.

edit: just saw it's an old post. hope you're doin ok.
See ya round big guy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2015 05:35PM by Shummy.

Posted by: eunice ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 05:28PM

Hey Shummy, take a peak at the date of the OP on this thread...2 years ago. I looked at it because we will eventually move back down there. Looks like someone resurrected it by posting a blank reply.

Posted by: Wondercat ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 10:43PM

Hey, those damned CCs! That brings back memories for my DH. He used to work around the temple during the Christmas seasons back in the 80s and 90s. He'd run into them on the sidewalks milling about. DH is a returned Mish with a good knowledge of all things MO. He'd regale me with tales of the crazy, untrue ideas the CC folks had about MOism. He'd take them on in debates and stump 'em every time!

Do you know when the "for sale" sign went up? It'll make his day!!

My first post,
Wondercat

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 10:44PM

"Concerned Christians" N. A group of people that want to use the Christ myth to form a theocracy in whatever country they live in.

Date: April 14, 2015 11:08PM

Well I moved here in August and it was soon after that I spotted the empty car park and the sign but who knows?

Good riddance.

Those guys make Sandra Tanner look sane.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 12:35AM

wait, wait, wait!!! I know ABOUT Jerald and Sandra Turner, and I've read accounts of people stopping in their store and having nice chats with both, and now only Sandra, but I had not heard that there was anything kooky about Sandra...

Is there?

Posted by: Wondercat ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 01:06AM

Shummy, thanks for the info on the CC's "for sale" sign date. DH and I appreciate it!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 11:18PM

They gave up one delusion for another.
That being the case, you probably shouldn't expect them to be rational, reasonable, etc. :)

Date: April 15, 2015 12:38AM

Well that was part of my point in comparing them.

Sandra is well mannered and not pushy despite trading in one farce for another.

But I really should have used Ed Decker instead.

Date: April 15, 2015 01:09AM

Yer welcome Wondercat.

And welcome to the raucous but hallowed halls of RfM.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 03, 2016 03:48PM

Wow, lots of exmos in the East Valley. I'm from Chandler. When are we going to have a meetup?

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: August 03, 2016 05:30PM

Not surprising that "They also claim that Christianity is not really a religion but a group of people who follow christ??? (I forget their logic behind that)." is something you, as an exmo, can't relate to. Being a Christian is not based on church membership but, ather, being converted to Christ in one's heart.

Posted by: Aaron ( )
Date: August 03, 2016 09:37PM

Im in Scottsdale- Ive been in beautiful Arizona since 1998 minus a recent 1 year sabatical to Washington (not a fan...). I would love to meet up with some fellow apostates. I know there are many here... I bet a few of you were in one of the wards I attended in the east valley (eastern southern southern Utah)

Date: March 27, 2017 11:28PM

Well ya know what Bekah? At least I had the option of running away from the CCs when they began to punish my eardrums with their biblebabble.

So tell me, do you really think because we here aren't all born again that we were born yesterday?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.