Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 08:38PM

When I converted to LSD, Inc., I was converting from the Lutheran Church: the church of Luther and Bach! Music was such a HUGE part of my worship - I can thumb through the Lutheran Hymnal and have a hard time finding a hymn that I don't like. I figured that when I joined the LDS Church, it was a lateral move music-wise - after all, this is the church that has given us the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and BYU Choirs! The hymns for worship MUST be good!....right?

When I first converted, the first purchase for my Mormon bookshelf was my own copy of the song book. I figured it would be nice to be able to play through a hymn or two while I was getting ready to practice my horn. For the most part, I found the LDS hymn book to be a mixed bag of nuts. Sometimes I'd find a hymn that I absolutely loved, and other times I'd find a complete dud.

My personal best (in no particular order)

- Redeemer of Israel (usually got me feeling patriotic and zealous!)
- The Spirit of God
- If You Could Hie to Kolob (I admit, I think this has more to do with my love for Vaughn Williams than any inspiration from the actual words)
- High on the Mountain Top
- God Be With You Til We Meet Again
- Praise God, From Whom All Blessings Flow

My personal worst (also in no particular order)
- Oh My Father
-Sweet is the Peace the Gospel Brings
- Now Let us Rejoice
- Joseph Smith's First Prayer
- Adam-ondi-Ahman
- Testimony
- Choose the Right
- Welcome, Welcome Sabbath Morning

A general rule of thumb for me was that if it was written before 1850, I probably wouldn't like it. If it was written about going to church, hanging out at Sunday school, etc, it would probably make my HATE list.

How about you? What were some of your most loved/hated hymns of Zion?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 08:40PM

Worst
- In our lovely Deseret

Best
- As I have loved you

Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 12:17AM

You don't like the "Bark! Bark! Bark!" part of "In our Lovely Deseret"? (I know it's "Hark!" but it always comes out canine.)

I also love the lines about "coffee, tea, and tobacco we despise" blah-de-blah-de-blah "and we eat, but a very little meat".

Holy cow, what a crap-pile of a song. Love it. But only because it's so loathe-worthy.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 09:03PM

Worst:

We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet
Put Your Shoulder to the Wheel
Choose The Right

Best:

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 09:07PM

Even the ones that were stolen from other churches. I especially hate how 'Scotland The Brave' was raped & disgustingly transformed into 'Praise To The Man'.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 10:28PM

+1 to the tragic desecration of Scotland the Brave!

Posted by: oxymormon ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 10:11PM

Any of the "Sunshine-y" ones would set my teeth on edge!
"There is sunshine in my soul", etc.
Blech!!

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 10:33PM

I hated Mo-Tab, even as a TBM. It probably has a lot to my mission. For two years that was the only thing I had that came close to "entertainment." I'm pretty sure that turned me off Mo-Tab for life!

I really liked Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing, although its been removed from the current LDS Song Book.

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 11:11PM

I'm a never-Mo, and yet I know "Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow". Does anyone know if that is one that the LDS church borrowed from others, or is it a coincidental instance of the same title?

Date: March 13, 2013 11:39PM

Definitely borrowed. It's the Doxology used in most liturgical services.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: January 11, 2016 05:17AM

+1

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 11:43PM

Oh "Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow" was definitely borrowed from others. It is in the Church of England songbook from the 1800's. Definitely brought in by some British convert.

Date: March 13, 2013 11:55PM

I've never read the Mormon text for the hymn - I wonder if they kept the original text, or if they Mormafied it? (putting in verses about restoring the gospel, having prophets, building malls, going to Sunday school, etc)

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 11:58PM

I really love " Lead Kindly Light" (not a mormon hymn as it turns out)

And I HATE, HATE, HATE "There is sunshine in my soul." I cant even believe how much I hate that song.

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 12:31AM

Agreed - I HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE " There is Sunshine in My Soul," I have hated that song since I was kid - don't know why, I just hate it!!! It is incredibly annoying and just all around awful. Horrible, horrible song!!!!

The first couple of verses of "Praise God. . ." are from the C of E songbook, don't know about the rest. No longer have access to one, but I am willing to bet they added/changed verses.

'

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 12:45AM

There's a good one?

Ron Burr

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:00AM

I was raised in the Methodist church and was annoyed that the LDS re-wrote several hymns.

Very arrogant.

Posted by: psychobabble ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:13AM

I went on a spanish-speaking mission. In the spanish hymnbook there was a song, "Hoy sembramos la semilla." I hated that hymn so much. It was like listening to fingernails on the chalkboard every time I heard it sung. Any spanish speakers know if this is also a hymn in english, and if so, what it's called? Sooo terrible.

*Edit*

Ok I just found it ... it's called "we are sowing" in english. So terrible

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2013 01:13AM by psychobabble.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:22AM

it wouldn't be so bad if "we were sowing" sinsemilla!!

Posted by: psychobabble ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:24AM

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:28AM

nice!

Posted by: usotsuki ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 10:05PM

Funnily, Redeemer of Israel - in its original form, "O Thou In Whose Presence" - appears in both our (Methodist) hymnals, the 1966 one and the 1989 one, and with a new arrangement that was done in 1965 by Austin C. Lovelace. But we've never used it in any church I've been in.

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 11:50AM

Worst:

Armies of Helaman
Praise to the Man

Posted by: nilla ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 11:51AM

Best

If you could hie to kolob

I think this version is very beautiful but I don't put any value in the words
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7OdUBvB3Ots

Worst

Follow the prophet (brainwashing galore)

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:23PM

A Mormon Hymn of the era - that praised polygamy:

"Now, sisters, list to what I say:
With trials this world is rife,
You can't expect to miss them all,
Help husband get a wife!
"Now, this advice I freely give,
If exalted you would be,
Remember that your husband must
Be blessed with more than thee.
"Then, O, let us say,
God bless the wife that strives
And aids her husband all she can
T' obtain a dozen wives."

Reference: 1856 Reformation Song. Used as a Hymn in an edition of Songs of Zion. Utah Historical Quarterly, 1928, p. 58.

Posted by: southern should login ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:30PM

Hahahaha no way. This sounds like its tongue in cheek!

Posted by: don't miss the music ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:29PM

Best:

Love One Another

The Christmas Songs in the book (sometimes the only thing Christmas about the church meeting on or closest to actual Christmas).

Because I Have Been Given Much (but now I'm not sure I like it as much as I did then.....could be taken as a guilt trip).

Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow, Beautiful Savior, Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing, There is a Green Hill Far Away......so many of the ones I liked were the ones I later found out were imported from other churches' hymn books, some of them altered and some of them left pretty much intact.
--------
Worst:

Shall the Youth of Zion Falter?

Praise to the Man

Oh How Lovely Was the Morning

I Love to See the Temple

Come, Come Ye Saints

There were lots and lots of ones I HATED in the primary song book. Most of the ones that were added since I was a child I do NOT like. When I was a kid they were more traditional and not so cult-y. The newer ones like Follow the Prophet and I Belong to the COJCOLDS are zombie chants.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:48PM

For WORST,

Each Cooing Dove

gets my vote.

Every time I think of that song, I remember Sister Bromeley heaving her chest up and down and warbling out the words. It's not originally an LD$ tune, but it's still bad.

Posted by: Brainfrees ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:55PM

Best:
God speed the right (pianist has to hammer the power chords)

Worst:
Praise to the man

Worster:
Praise to the man sung on Mother's Day (true story)

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 02:07PM

Posted by: WakingUpVegas ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 02:08PM

"All Creatures of Our God and King" has always been my favorite. I remember the first time I heard it sung in a Christian church. I was a teenager and questioning Mormonism. Hearing that song sung so beautifully in a different church made me realize my church didn't have a monopoly on "feeling the Spirit".

I was not a fan of "Welcome Welcome Sabbath Morning". I never felt welcome in my homeward, and it was NOT a chance to "rest from every care" with multiple callings!

Also on the "worst list": "Follow The Prophet", not just because of its cultish message, but how negative that song is all together. The music actually scared me as a little kid!

Posted by: Crazt tapir ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 10:50PM

Mr. Bean does a great rendition of all creatures of our God and King. Like most people, he can't get the timing of the alleluia part correct.

Posted by: korihortonhearsawho ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 02:26PM

Best. A child's prayer

I still find myself singing this when Im alone, but with different words:

William Shatner, are you really there,
and do you hear and answer every Klingon prayer?
Some say that Kolob is far away,
But you fly the Enterprise there every day

Worst. Follow the profit. Really Mormons? WTF?

Posted by: tamboruco ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 10:25PM

Agree with a few posters - Praise to the Man is bad but the WORST must be Joseph Smith's First Prayer a.k.a. Oh, how lovely was the morning! - and not because of the melody but because of what it teaches.

What horrible lies we were all taught as young people through song.

Posted by: Hustle 'Em Nelson ( )
Date: January 11, 2016 12:06AM

Best songs:

"Lord, Dismiss Us with Thy Blessing", it has a similar tune as "Go Tell Aunt Rhody." When I was a child, I used to sing the "Go Tell Aunt Rhody" lyrics whenever they played this song in sacrament meeting until my older sister would punch me in the rib.

I also love "All Creatures of Our God and King." When we were active, my husband used to sing the chorus exactly like like Mr. Bean. I would die laughing and people around us would shake their heads in disapproval. Needless to say, we weren't the most reverent bunch but we had a good time.

Worst Song:

"Ye Simple Souls Who Stray." Even as a TBM, I thought this song was condescending and judgmental.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.