Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: KC_mo_no_more ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 12:15PM

For a long time, I've been wondering about the beds they found in the FLDS temple in Texas. That never really got much coverage and don't remember ever seeing much on here. When I went to SL Temple I remember the sealing rooms being off of the Celestial room with doors that would close including that one sealing room up the stairs (penthouse suite I guess). It's bothered me for a long time- did the regular LDS used to do the sex in the temple thing like the FLDS were apparently doing? Does anyone know (can back it up with sources)? If they did, was it part of a regular sealing or was it done as part of the second annointing? And when did they stop doing it? I'm just really curious about this and haven't ever been able to find any information.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Whiskey_Tango ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 12:25PM

If i recall a bed was found but it was beleived to have belonged to a janitor or night watchman or whatever. I don't recall any evidence of abuse or even sex being tied to it. Sometimes a bed is just a bed. But who knows????

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 06:45PM

Whiskey_Tango Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If i recall a bed was found but it was beleived to
> have belonged to a janitor or night watchman or
> whatever. I don't recall any evidence of abuse or
> even sex being tied to it. Sometimes a bed is just
> a bed. But who knows????

What's that? Tied to a bed? Joyce McKinney lives again! ;o))

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 09:24PM

It looked like a ceremonial washing/anointing or other kind of ceremonial aritifact to me.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: August 02, 2011 03:41PM

Posted by: edmarc ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 12:38PM

Isn't that where they sleep?

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: August 02, 2011 03:49PM

No. Most of the sleeping is done in chairs during the endowment ceremony.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: August 02, 2011 04:06PM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 04:47AM

It isn't like these people are traveling across country to attend the temple. They're confined 24 hours a day within the same compound wher the temple is located.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2011 04:47AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 12:47PM

http://texasflds.wordpress.com/2009/04/04/groundskeepers-bed/

There was quite a bit of discussion here when it was happening. That is obviously no groundskeeper's bed.

I don't remember that any explanation was forthcoming from the FLDS.

There is no evidence of anything like this in LDS temples. I think we'd know.

Posted by: Whiskey_Tango ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 12:50PM

Well, I certainly stand corrected on that one. That is effing weird!!!! I was expecting a rusty bed like i slept on in bootcamp that maybe some old guy slept on cuz he was up all night patching drywall. Shows what little I know.

Posted by: KC_mo_no_more ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 01:09PM

Thanks for posting that picture. I hadn't seen that before. I remember reading about several beds, not just one- and that they had found lots of long hair on the beds, indicating the 'ceremonies' were rather rough. That observation kneeler/stairs is really creepy! A rameumpton (sic) perhaps?

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 01:08PM

But there were spittoons in the Tavernacle....

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 02:04PM

What on earth?! Is that photo real? I don't even wanna think about what it's used for. *shudder*

Posted by: george ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 02:05PM

Remember the story that when Apostle James E. Talmage wrote Jesus the Christ he was living in the SLC temple? Obviously there were beds there at that time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2011 02:09PM by george.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 12:07AM

Yes, that was right next to Jesus' kitchenette and bathroom.

Posted by: Up ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 05:16AM

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 02:07PM

Seems like I read that the claim was that these were "alters" like in the sealing rooms, just huge ones.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 02:13PM

And it was outside the sealing room in the temple. Is it more likely that this was a groundskeepers bed or is it more likely that this is a bed used for sex immediately after a sealing? I realize that's a false dilemma, but what else could it be?

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 04:20PM

I used to work cleaning the Salt Lake temple in the mid 80s. There are several beds for sleeping in the temple. The temple has an actual suite that looks very much like a hotel room called the President's suite where the president and matron (his wife) can sleep, shower, get dressed, etc. It has two queen size beds, a private bath, dressers, etc. Then there are small beds in other hidden rooms around lockers I think in the baptistry. As custodians we worked at night and often found those beds to take naps during our breaks. Temple workers (many of them elderly) use them for naps. There's a bed in the first aid room, of course.

Back when Talmage wrote Jesus the Christ he lived on the 5th floor of the temple in an area outside the Solemn Assembly Room. They still call it the Talmage Room. It has a bathroom and a desk. In those days, I assume it would have had a bed though there is no bed there now.

Lorenzo Snow too lived in the temple when he was prophet. His office called the Lorenzo Snow room still has the original fire place (yes a fireplace in the Salt Lake temple) though it's not used. That one is located behind the Holy of Holies, behind the two sealing rooms that are visible in the Celestial Room. He must have had a bed somewhere since he lived there.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the days when these married men lived in the temple if they brought their wives to sleep there. Providing the temple president and his wife a suite seems in keeping with tradition.

None of these beds are ceremonial beds as the one in the FLDS temple so obviously is next to the altar. But beds for naps in LDS temples are not uncommon, just as there are cafeterias, showers, etc.

Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 06:26PM

I was talking to the cousin of one my inlaws, who was on the Grand Jury. According to him, they have video tape evidence that they were used to consummate marriages.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 06:42PM

So, did the FLDS get this "ordinance" with the bed from John Taylor, along with all the other temple stuff?

Is it actually derived from Nauvoo?

Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 07:01PM

I don't think so. The AUB friends I have, who have also left mormonism, did not consummate their marriages this way. I have found no information that would indicate that it exists with any other group. But who knows, I thought I was the big mormon expert and was really put in my place.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 01:12AM

So, no, they didn't get it from Taylor or anyone else -- it's just more of Warren's insanity disguised as religion. :)

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 10:54PM

supposedly assures a more spiritual offspring, imagine what conceiving in the temple would produce!

Anagrammy

Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 03:36AM

I think I heard about this at a temple grounds tour there, but I'm not sure of that. It may have been someone else who told me.

The St. George temple was the destination of the "honeymoon trail," which Mormons traveled in the 19th Century to get married.

From what I understand, there were not a lot of accomodations available at the time, so there were rooms/beds in the temple for couples who made the trek.

There is probably stuff about this on the internet.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 03:57AM

"Were Beds In Temple Used for Teen Sex?"
10 April 2008
by Brian West
"Deseret News"

"SAN ANGELO, Texas — A Texas Ranger serving a search warrant at a polygamist ranch says there are beds inside the FLDS Church's only temple.

"And those beds, according to newly relased documents that support the reasons for a police raid on the compound owned by the sect, are in a part of the temple where "males over the age of 17 engage in sexual activity" with underage girls. . . .

"Inside the large limestone temple, ranger Leslie Brooks Long said she observed several locked safes, locked desk drawers, locked vaults, multiple computers and beds.

"'On one of the beds within the temple, (I) observed that the bed linens were disturbed as if the bed had been used,' she wrote. The officer said she also noticed a strand of hair believed to come from the head of a female, the court document states.

"An unidentified former FLDS Church member, who has been advising Schleicher County Sheriff David Doran over the past several years, told the sheriff about the beds.

"The warrant specifically identifies several girls and women who were interviewed at the ranch by child welfare workers during the first two days of the search. The examples either identified underage girls who were pregnant or 'spiritually married' to older men, or young adult women who had children when they were underage.

"Anyone under 17 is prohibited from marrying in Texas without parental approval.

"During an interview Friday with a child who appeared to be 16, the girl was asked how old she was. The girl's husband, who is approximately 33 and was nearby during the interview, looked at his wife and said, 'You are 18,' the affidavit states. The girl, who has a 10-month-old baby, then replied that she was 18.

"Long said she discovered a document indicating one man had more than 20 wives — 'all of whom resided in the same residence.'

"It was this information, together with other details, that prompted a judge to issue a second search warrant authorizing authorities to search for any and all records regarding the births of children to mothers under 17, parental information; photographs, especially family portraits; family Bibles or books showing marriages and birth information; fingerprints and hair and blood samples of men and women; plus any device capable of storing images."

(from Deseret News archives, at: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/695269096/Search-Were-beds-in-temple-used-for-teen-sex.html)
_____

"Informant Says FLDS Temple Used for Sex with Underage Girls"
9 April 2008
by John Hollenhorst
KSL News

"The FLDS faithful call it their most sacred and holy place, but now there's startling new information about what really went on inside their Texas temple. A court document released Wednesday provides evidence that FLDS men regularly used the temple as a place for sex with underage girls.

"Based on what searchers saw with their own eyes and the statements of a confidential informant, last Saturday night's tense encounter at the temple may be seen in a new light. Were FLDS men trying to keep searchers out because the temple is sacred, or was it to protect one of their darkest secrets?

"During the police raid last weekend, a confidential informant told a disturbing story to Schleicher County Sheriff David Doran. His claim was so shocking that Doran might not have believed him, except that he's provided reliable information on more than 20 past occasions. The informant was a former member of the FLDS church, which built its temple in Schleicher County three years ago.

"The informant told the sheriff that when adult FLDS men marry, 'the bride is often under the age of 16 years; and that the temple . . . contains an area where there is a bed where males over the age of 17 engage in sexual activity with female children under the age of 17.'

"When searchers went to the huge limestone edifice last Saturday, FLDS members tried to keep them out. Officers ended the tense confrontation by making what they call a 'dynamic entry.' And one officer found something that partially substantiates the informant's story. According to the affidavit, there were multiple beds in the temple, and one of them had "disturbed bed linens and a strand of hair that appears to be from a female head."

"On New Year's Day of 2005, freelance writer Jon Krakuer captured aerial photos of a man believed to be Warren Jeffs delivering a dedicatory prayer on the site of the future temple. If the informant's story is true, the temple's true purpose was something far different than what most outsiders supposed at the time.

"In a court hearing Wednesday, FLDS lawyers abandoned their effort to stop the ongoing search, and lawyers revealed that another warrant has been issued, this time a federal warrant, suggesting that the investigation is getting broader or deeper."

(from KSL news archives, at: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=3048907)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2011 04:04AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 04:37AM

this is a repost from the youtube account of Iexposemormonism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9mdAuRr7rc

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 10:50AM

:-)

Posted by: HIS_DUDENESS ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 11:15AM

There was sex abuse in the FLDS of children by Warren Jeffs proven in court.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002996905_secttwo16.html

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: August 02, 2011 03:50PM

The feds found beds in the Yearning for Zion ranch temple in Texas.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.