Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Widget ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 04:34PM

Thanks to deconverted2010 for the heads-up about LD$ Inc.'s money shell game using psychologically-coerced cash (i.e., "tithes and offerings") from hoodwinked Canadian Mormons, whose financial well-being in this life and "exaltation" after death partly depends on them forking over at least 10% of their income, money gifts, pension(s), inheritance(s), etc. to the money-grubbing Morg, per LD$ doctrine.

Online Canada Revenue Agency info. (see the CRA link below) reveals that there are 10 "Qualified Donees - THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS IN CANADA":

One in the USA: Brigham Young University
Nine in Canada: Wildwood, Coronation Park, Surrey 1st, Park Meadows, Shawnessy, Surrey 3rd, Legacy, Willow Park, and Surrey 2nd (Spanish).

Having lived in the metro Vancouver area, which includes Surrey, I recognized Surrey 1st, 2nd (Spanish), and 3rd as LD$ units/congregations in the community. (They're listed here: www.yellowpages.ca/search/si/1/Church+Of+Jesus+Christ+Of+Latter+Day+Saints/Surrey ).

The other Cdn. "Qualified Donees" are also LD$ units/congregations, based on YellowPages.ca info.

So, for the CRA reporting period (one recent calendar year, probably 2011), LD$ Inc. took in a total of $103,984,696 from Cdn. Mormons, and without telling them, send 99% of the funds ($102.9M) to its Brigham Young University in the USA.

Using misleading LD$ indoctrination materials and sermons from church leaders, Latter-day Saints in Canada (as in all countries) have repeatedly been told that "Tithing funds are used to build churches and temples, to sustain missionary work, and to build the kingdom of God on earth" (ref. www.lds.org/scriptures/gs/tithes-tithing?lang=eng).

What does subsidizing BYU have to do with building the LDS-imagined "kingdom of God on earth" (a.k.a. LD$ Inc.)? Nothing; BYU is a post-secondary education institution.

What IS the marketed "Purpose of the Church"? Text on lds.org provides the answer: "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized by God to assist in His work to bring to pass the salvation and exaltation of His children.... In fulfilling its purpose to help individuals and families qualify for exaltation, the Church focuses on divinely appointed responsibilities. These include helping members live the gospel of Jesus Christ, gathering Israel through missionary work, caring for the poor and needy, and enabling the salvation of the dead by building temples and performing vicarious ordinances."

(Ref. www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/priesthood-principles?lang=eng#22 )

To any lurking Cdn. Mormons, how do you feel about not being told the truth by LD$ Inc.'s Profits about where your "tithes and offerings" have ended up?

Why would the Morg's Profits' allow this kind of money shell game? Because people have been leaving the duplicitous LD$ Church "in droves", as reported in Jan. 2012 by Reuters. As hundreds of thousands of members have woken up to the fact that Mormonism is a fraud, they've stopped their payments of "tithes and offerings" and resigned.

But LD$ Inc. has always been about wealth-expansion (for itself, not its rank-and-file membership, of course). Using cash from its American income sources, the money managers at the Morg's Ensign Peak Advisors have no doubt been able to do MORE trades using sophisticated financial instruments (e.g., calls, puts, futures, FOREX spreads).

Computer tools such as trading software with a trailing stop-loss feature and electronic charting with programmable indicators have been around for years. The main advantage they've offered is maximizing profits on trades.

And PROFITS mean EVERYTHING to LD$ Inc., the 'one, true' corporation of Je$u$ Chri$t.

Here's the Canada Revenue agency link: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/ebci/haip/srch/t3010form22gifts-eng.action?b=119223758RR0001&e=2010-12-31&n=THE+CHURCH+OF+JESUS+CHRIST+OF+LATTER-DAY+SAINTS+IN+CANADA&r=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cra-arc.gc.ca%3A80%2Febci%2Fhaip%2Fsrch%2Ft3010form22-eng.action%3Fb%3D119223758RR0001%26amp%3Be%3D2010-12-31%26amp%3Bn%3DTHE%2BCHURCH%2BOF%2BJESUS%2BCHRIST%2BOF%2BLATTER-DAY%2BSAINTS%2BIN%2BCANADA%26amp%3Br%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.cra-arc.gc.ca%253A80%252Febci%252Fhaip%252Fsrch%252Fbasicsearchresult-eng.action%253Fs%253Dregistered%2526amp%253Bk%253Dchurch%252Bof%252Bjesus%252Bchrist%252Bof%252Blatter-day%252Bsaints%2526amp%253Bb%253Dtrue%2526amp%253Bp%253D2

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: citizen not logged in ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 04:42PM

Widget--you've been putting out some awesome pieces lately. Thanks for all of the insight. Infuriating to exmo-Canucks, I imagine...

Posted by: anonobviously ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 04:51PM

I was a member of Surrey 1st and Surrey 3rd, and have attended Surrey 2nd (Spanish) a few times.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 07, 2013 12:16AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2013 12:16AM by Nightingale.

Posted by: anonobviously ( )
Date: March 07, 2013 12:18PM

I'll see if I can get admin to contact you with my e-mail

Posted by: Xyandro ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 05:01PM

This is a fairly long-standing practice from what I've heard; I believe Canada gives them special tax breaks since they're donating to a university, so that's where all Canada tithing goes.

Posted by: Widget ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 06:36PM

The key point, IMO, is that by funnelling Cdn. Mormons' donations to BYU, LD$ Inc. in SLC (USA) doesn't have to use $102.9M of its American income to subsidize the university, which frees up tens of millions of $$$ for profit-making securities trades by the Morg's Ensign Peak Advisors. That, and the fact that the large majority of Mormons in Canada, if not all, are oblivious to how their "tithes and offerings" are ACTUALLY used. Naively, they simply trust the Profits!

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: March 07, 2013 09:46AM

Exactly. Furthermore, Canadian laws allow charities to take money out of the country for education purposes and/or to their education institutions. They could not just transfer the money to a ward in the US or to SLC headquarters. They are using BYU as the bridge to take the money out.

The data provided above is actually for the year ending 12/31/2010.

In 2011 they changed what they were doing and transferred the money to other countries. I need to search for the details.

BTW, where are you located Widget. My guess is BC or Alberta. I'm on the other side of the country.

I’m glad you’re exposing these numbers. When I learned that millions were going to BYU I stopped "paying" tithing. I had, and still have, a BIG problem with that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2013 01:35PM by deconverted2010.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 05:46PM

This is heinous. How many gullible little old ladies, struggling families, retirees, young married Canadian college students, and children gave up their money and retirement checks so that BYU can have a state of the art television studio and a highly funded athletic department? Disgusting, money grubbing cult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2013 05:47PM by No Mo.

Posted by: Flyinghigh ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 06:22PM

In the UK, there is currently about £265,000,000 lying in reserve in the UK LDS Financial Accounts. They spend a shameful 0.5% of this amount helping the poor and needy in Humanitarian Aid and Fast Offering.
Yet during Fast and Testimony Meetings, the super obedient members get up and testify how wonderful it is that Tithing funds go towards helping the poor and needy in the world.
It is staggering and beyond belief that the utterly brainwashed and brain dead members are so f---ing ignorant of the disreputable fact that not one single penny of Tithing goes towards the poor and needy anywhere in the world.
When will the members break out from this Mormonesque trance like state they are continually under and face up to the unpalatable fact that they are being well and truly sha--ed both spiritually and financially by the cunning LDS wolves in SL.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 06:28PM

Flyinghigh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In the UK, there is currently about £265,000,000
> lying in reserve in the UK LDS Financial Accounts.
> They spend a shameful 0.5% of this amount helping

I am assuming that it is illegal to send the money to BYU from the UK?

Posted by: whatiswanted ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 07:05PM

Once they donate it to BYU.... It is no longer tithing is it :)

That is how they launder the tithing and move it around and are able to say... "We did not use tithing for the mall", but chances are the $$$ was tithing at one point and shuffled into a non tithing account.

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 07:32PM

What, BYU isn't good enough for you? Would you prefer they pay their money in taxes so it goes to a bunch of authoritarian control freaks? Er, wait.

Posted by: anon for now ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 07:40PM

Canadian LDS people's money mostly used to fund BYU? What a scam.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 10:10PM

I would have at least liked it to go to BYU Hawaii, so I could try and claim it somewhere warm.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: March 07, 2013 12:11AM

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: March 07, 2013 12:12AM

maintenance in Canada. Do they get money from the church in the USA funneled back to them?

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 07, 2013 07:53PM

imaworkinonit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> maintenance in Canada. Do they get money from
> the church in the USA funneled back to them?

When I worked for the Church, I coded all of the utility bills and then entered them into the computer, where they went straight to Salt Lake. The cheques to the utility companies came from Salt Lake. Maybe they paid them with U.S. money. I just always assumed that my Canadian tithe dollars went down there for them to pay the bills. Maybe they were using other funds to pay them.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 07, 2013 02:54AM

If I were Canadian and wanted to go to BYU, but they wouldn't accept me, I'd really be pissed.

I'm sure there are families with college age kids that can't afford to send them to BYU. Yet, they pay 10% of their income to the school. That should cause some cog dis.

Posted by: GC ( )
Date: March 07, 2013 05:08AM

Hmmm.... this could be a
news story up here.

Fleecing the Cdn flock under false pretences -- Canadians unknowingly send $102 million to university of a US-based cult.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: March 07, 2013 05:44AM

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: March 07, 2013 05:42AM

I do not get why people complain about supporting BYU. Most religions support education. Harvard, Paris and most early schools were founded by religions.

It is also one of the few perks Mormons get for their tithing. Everything else goes to expand LDS, Inc. They even have to scrub church toilets.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 07, 2013 05:48AM

It's a perk that Canadians have paid for richly, but relatively few in number get to enjoy.

I think we figured out that Canadians sent (that year) more than $50,000 per Canadian student.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: March 07, 2013 12:12PM

You must be from the morridor and probably went to BYU.

I don't see why our money needs to subsidize the tuition of the mormons in Utah. Or to provide for free tuition for the relatives of GAs. We have universities that we could support here in Canada where the majority of the mormon kids attend.

I have a friend who has served as a bishop, I'm sure he's paid a lot of money to the cult. When they bought their first home they struggled because they were still paying for their student loans here in Canada, but I'm sure they were sending money to BYU. That is just not right.

Also, sending money to BYU is a way of legally taking the money from Canada to the US. It goes to BYU to free US tithing to be spend on their enterprises.

If the money goes to education I'd like to see it go to an elementary school in Afria or something like that. But there are no mormon free schools in the poor places of the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2013 01:37PM by deconverted2010.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: March 07, 2013 06:27AM

The TBM members won't care, most assume the money goes straight to SLC already, finding out that the church has to route it via BYU will probably just be interpreted by them as an inspired workaround.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: March 07, 2013 07:43AM

The GAs better change the name from the Cougars to the Maple Leafs...

just sayin....

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 07, 2013 09:12AM

Revenue Canada does not allow tax free charitable donations to be sent to a foreign mother church, under the reasonable belief that if Canadian citizens give up government services so this money can be donated, it ought to be spent on Canadians.

One exception to this is that the money can be sent to foreign schools. Foreign churches might be a self-serving scam (LDS Inc, anyone?). Schools, OTOH, provide a real service that arguably makes the world a better place.

I suspect this exception was intended to help funding of schools in third world countries, but that is not specified in the law, so Canadian Mormons have nearly all of their "charitable donations" funneled to a wealthy American university.

It's a tax dodge, pure and simple. It gets Canadian money into Utah tax-free.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 07, 2013 09:23AM

Send it to all MPs. Electrons are cheap.

Posted by: itsallclear ( )
Date: March 07, 2013 09:30AM

Canadians aren't the only ones whose tithing goes to the BYU schools. When I was at student at BYU-I, we were constantly being reminded that there were poor families all over the world that were paying tithing that made it possible for us to get an affordable education.

Posted by: sanitationengineer ( )
Date: March 07, 2013 12:57PM

Considering BYU is exempt from section 501(c) reporting requirements it could go anywhere out of the BYU coffers after it is transferred in.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: March 07, 2013 01:27PM

Knowing the Morg, I would suspect money laundering, plain and simple.

Okay, we need a Canadian mormon to use his/her mormon email tree to send this information out.

One of the main points of the original post was that Canadian mormons have no idea this is happening. Let's make sure they do know.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.