Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 10:55AM

I guess some Mrs Robinson relationships turn out OK for the boy but I had a bf who was really messed up by the experience. When he was 16 he mowed lawns (no joke intended) and an older women initiated sex with him. It turned into manipulation because he wanted to end it and she didn't. The worse part was the woman knew his mother so when he tried to avoid her the woman told his mother that she had paid him for lawn work and he had not done it so him mother insisted that he go over to her house. I also believe that he was bisexual/possibly gay and that the whole experience was actually rather frightening. He came from a African American Baptist background so being gay was not in his family framwork (also this was 1985, ancient history in LGBT rights).

I think that women who are predatory enough to go after boys also have a screw loose and so the relationship becomes one of power. The bottom line is teenagers should be involved with other teenagers not adults. And adults should know better.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Good Witch ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 11:04AM

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 01:21PM

This is a bit of a tangent, but I was talking with someone the other day and it came out that rape fantasies are found fairly frequently among Mormons. The rationale is that they have a normal libido but fear the social rejection of satisfying it in a deliberate and voluntary fashion, so they fantasize about a way to get sex without responsibility for choosing to have it.

BTW, the Dustin Hoffman character in the movie was a college grad, so not exactly the same as a female peder ast preying on an adolescent of HS age.

Date: March 05, 2013 01:49PM

Inverso Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is a bit of a tangent, but I was talking with
> someone the other day and it came out that rape
> fantasies are found fairly frequently among
> Mormons. The rationale is that they have a normal
> libido but fear the social rejection of satisfying
> it in a deliberate and voluntary fashion, so they
> fantasize about a way to get sex without
> responsibility for choosing to have it.
>
> BTW, the Dustin Hoffman character in the movie was
> a college grad, so not exactly the same as a
> female peder ast preying on an adolescent of HS
> age.

Yes, and he was not portrayed as a virgin, but I used the term as a concept. I just read about the movie and Dustin H. was 30 playing a 21 year old and Ann Bancroft was 36 playing a 42 year old woman. However in the end the relationship became one of manipulation and power as she threatened to tell her daughter about the relationship if he tried to date the daughter.

I remember the scene where Dustin H. hears Elaine's future husband talking about her in the bathroom and he realizes that the fiance does not love her. I felt sorry for Elaine that she was being duped by such a jerk.

Posted by: skeptifem ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 01:34PM

"he wanted it to end and it didn't" means he was assaulted sexually. How awful. I don't think its fair to use euphemisms for rape like "the mrs robinson syndrome" or "seduction".

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 01:56PM

The USA has a range of 'ages of consent' for male, female, male homosexual and lesbian.

'being seduced' is not the same as 'rape'

"he wanted it to end and it didn't" looks bad, but it all depends on circumstances at the time... although the whole "told his mother that she had paid him for lawn work and he had not done it" thing makes her sound like a bit of a 'bunny boiler'

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 02:04PM

Date: March 05, 2013 03:25PM

the "victim" was 16

as I pointed out..... your country has a range of 'ages of consent' depending on which bit of the country you live in (and what your sexuality happens to be)
It may have been statutory rape.....or it may not have been.

Date: March 05, 2013 03:32PM

AND it doesn't even matter if the boy was totally consenting, or even the initiator.
I personally know an adult woman who had a sexual relationship with a 17-year old boy who TURNED on her and reported her.
She spent TWO YEARS in PRISON, is now out on parole, is a registered sex offender, and cannot even be with her own son without supervision.
I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

Date: March 05, 2013 03:34PM

It just makes you look bad.

Date: March 05, 2013 03:46PM

I have had similar discussion with americans before, and I am aware that many people assume that the law in their state is the same as in the rest of the USA.
No need to get shirty just because you're smarter than the average dumbyank

Posted by: jesuswantsme4asucker ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 03:54PM

yeah it does vary from state to state but most progressive parts of the US (not the south) have settled on some form of the 18 to consent idea, with some variations like people under 21 can have relations with people over 16, etc.

Posted by: Man of Sin ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 06:15PM

Only eleven states have it at 18. That's not even close to most.

Date: March 05, 2013 07:31PM

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 11:58PM

And ruder.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 11:52PM

Agreed. The age of consent varies widely from state to state. What is statutory rape in one state is legal in another

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 03:58PM

Age of consent is 16 in some states.

Date: March 05, 2013 07:30PM

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 05:43PM

There are only a handful of places in the States where the age of consent is bellow eighteen. Actually, what confuses people the most on the subject are Romeo and Juliet Laws where a minor can consent to sex with an adult, provided the adult is only so many years from the same age as the minor.

For example, in Tennessee, I believe the magic number was three. If you were within three years of the same age as your partner, then it was still legal, even if they were say 16 and you were 19 years old. I need to look the exact number of years up, so if you are 19 don't go running after a 16 year old in Nashville until you double check to see if I was right.

In Florida, any person over the age of 16 can consent to sex with anyone under the age of 24. Key word is under. If you are 24, and have sex with a minor, you are in violation of the law. At eighteen, any person can have sex legally with any other person over the age of 18.

In the case of Florida, it is often erroneously reported that the age of consent is only 16 by those who do not understand the law. Same applies to any state where a child can consent to sex under 18, there is usually a condition that applies, such as the partner is also within so many years of the minor.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2013 05:49PM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Posted by: Man of Sin ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 06:07PM

You are misinformed. Actually a handful of state has the age of consent at 18. There is a source.

http://www.age-of-consent.info

Date: March 05, 2013 02:03PM

And that woman would do some time in prison.

Date: March 05, 2013 02:52PM

Didn't mean to start a controversy with the terminology. When there have been stories of teachers having sex with underage students I have often heard men say that they wished that had happened to them when they were 16. However, I don't think the reality is like the fantasy for many boys.

I am watching/listening to the Graduate right now and even though Ben is an adult he has very conflicted feelings about what he is doing, in terms of shame and to some degree disgust. It also serves to alienate him from his parents.

Posted by: Exmojoe ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 03:44PM

I think the real issue here is that the lady needs a new lawn mowing guy to cut her lawn AND I just happen to be available at a reduced rate. I even do trimming, edging,landscaping, and bagging.

Posted by: jesuswantsme4asucker ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 03:45PM

If its against the law there are no excuses, who came on to whom, etc goes right out the window. Its the adults responsibility to both know the law and practice restraint even if the teen literally shows up on the doorstep naked and is begging. Doesn't matter if they are male of female perps either. As far as boys "wanting it" plenty of the women I see getting accused of this stuff are not women a teen age boy fantasizes about and even if they are, younger teens are in no place to understand the consequences of their actions long term. This is exactly why laws are in place to protect them.

Date: March 05, 2013 04:01PM

jesuswantsme4asucker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If its against the law there are no excuses, who
> came on to whom, etc goes right out the window.
> Its the adults responsibility to both know the law
> and practice restraint even if the teen literally
> shows up on the doorstep naked and is begging.
> Doesn't matter if they are male of female perps
> either. As far as boys "wanting it" plenty of the
> women I see getting accused of this stuff are not
> women a teen age boy fantasizes about and even if
> they are, younger teens are in no place to
> understand the consequences of their actions long
> term. This is exactly why laws are in place to
> protect them.

I don't remember him ever saying that she was attractive. She asked him to carry a smallish box down to the basement and then asked him if he wanted to know what was in the box, which turned out to contain sex toys. I am not sure how many times he had sex for her, but he grimaced and gave a shudder when he talked about it.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 11:47PM

In my experience it is possible to have a real loving relationship

As for one that actually endures discovery? Not sure about that one

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 12:53AM

If the woman is older but hot and the boy is underaged - then it is acceptable to make jokes about how lucky the boy is, and "where was she when I was that age?"

If the man is older and the girl is underaged - it is rape and disgusting. And should warrant a sting operation television program.

But if the man is older and the girl is underaged but it happened over a hundred years ago - then god sanctioned it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2013 12:58AM by Raptor Jesus.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 03:26AM

When Simon and Garfunkel created the song, they were originally going to use her last name, but instead chose Robinson.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 06:20PM

Not quite right. The song came before the movie and was going to be called Mrs. Roosevelt. The lyrics were changed to fit the movie. If Eleanor Roosevelt had an affair, it was probably with a woman, though they may have just been very good friends.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2013 06:21PM by releve.

Posted by: Lurker From Beyond ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 06:21PM

back in the early 80's when modem based BBS's were a new thing, I chatted up a woman in her late 30's who offered to take my virginity.

We met up in a motel and spent a nice few hours together.

My only regret is that we didn't do it again.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: November 23, 2013 06:22PM

The age differential is the key thing in defining wrongdoing in sexual seduction.. Jokes are made, the 16 year old boy who gets sex with an older woman is merely lucky, no victim. Actually, he is indeed a victim, just as a young girl is the victim of her older male seducer. There in reality should be no differential that depends on gender.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.