Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 12:46AM

I haven't watched his show in years but damn! He has really lost a lot of weight and looks old. Who is your fav late night persona? I can't stand Jay Leno, I like Conan. I used to like David Letterman better but he looks like he's about to die. Sorry if there's a reason for this, I may have missed something. I grew up on Johnny Carson. I thought he was awesome.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 01:02AM

I actually like Leno. I only watch his show for the first half hour so I see his monologue and comic skits. (I hate the interviews)

I used to like Conan, but I never see his show now, wherever and whenever it's on.

I like Letterman, but rarely watch him.

I think time slots are really important for the genre, don't you?

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 01:05AM

I grew up on Carson as well. Johnny was the KING of late night and no one comes close to him. I do like Leno, but I don't watch the interviews either. I like "headlines" and "Jay walking"

Date: March 05, 2013 01:06AM

time slots is what makes the comedienne. I think we need a new breed

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 01:10AM

Top Ten is a heritage feature of DL; Jimmy on ABC is the newbie to the time slot... but Id say he's a contender.

JL... rumors abt retiring; who will NBC tap as his replacement?

guesses, anyone; would Conan come back/have a following now?

with Rodney Dangerfield & Don Rickles, Bob Hope... Red Skelton, Jack Benny ... that group... passes a class of comedians that we won't see for a long, long time

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2013 01:19AM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 01:27AM

Letterman hands down and then Jimmy Fallon.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 01:33AM

Hats off to all who say history repeats itself.

Jay Leno will go to a cable station taking his following with him like a hairdresser changing salons. He'll take the boomers.

And the young people who like Fallon? They're having sex while watching the Daily Show and then, off goes the Tv because they are still working and have to get up early.

Ana

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 02:00AM

Hey Dave had a sextuple bypass surgery a few years back, and staying lean is a doctor's prescription for him. He runs a lot. He has a little son now, and he's trying to stay alive as long as he can to be with his little friend.

For old men, skinny is good, Takes a lot of strain off the heart and liver etc.. Dave prolly eats low fat now, doesn't drink or smoke. He's had face work, or he'd look worse. Has had hair plugs too no doubt.

I know for myself at 65, I'm into raw organic vegies, raw nuts and seeds, some fruits, green juice, low fat, low sugar, low salt, low cal. No processed food, no wheat, very little poultry (mostly egg, twice a week), very little dairy (a little low fat cheese). Walking, biking paddling, meditation.

Trying to make life easier for the organs... :)

Date: March 05, 2013 07:18AM

hello Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Dave had a sextuple bypass surgery a few years
> back, and staying lean is a doctor's prescription
> for him.

that's the explanation I was looking for. His suit looked too big. Maybe he just needs a better tailor

Date: March 05, 2013 07:19AM

I forgot about the Jimmy's when I posted this btw. I do like Jimmy Fallon. I watch excerpts from Jimmy Kimmel when I'm bored on my roku

Posted by: too much joy ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 03:16AM

I love Jay Leno. I switch off the interviews and do the dishes and get ready for bed, then switch on Jimmy Fallon, whom I love just as much.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 03:39AM

It's mostly his smug demeanor and annoying mannerisms, but he even looks a little bit like Exbotaz, who insisted on watching him every night.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 05:27AM

Am I the only one here who watches Craig Ferguson?

Posted by: King Brigham I ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 07:41AM

I think Ferguson beats them all.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 11:33AM

Craig would be my first choice.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 11:40AM

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 01:35PM

I record him and watch the next evening. He doesn't seem to get many of the A-List guests, but he's my fave of the night-time talk show hosts. Do you think he would be a contender to take over Letterman's slot, or is he too outre?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 05:46AM

I like all of them, but Leno is probably my go-to late nite comedian. On nights when I'm up late, I'll watch Leno's opening monologue and then decide whom to watch based on the interviewees.

When I lived in NYC, workers would sometimes duck out early and go catch the taping of Letterman's show. It was at 4:00 P.M. back then, probably still is. It's a NY tradition!

Jimmy Fallon had a rough start, but has come a long way since. He will likely be Leno's successor one day. Unlike Conan, he has mainstream appeal. I'll watch Conan sometimes becasuse most of the time I'd rather watch a late-night show than the news.

Jan, I like to watch Craig Ferguson sometimes. I just like Jimmy Fallon better.

I agree with those who say that no one can touch Johnny Carson. He was the best ever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2013 05:47AM by summer.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 07:37AM

He is funny at times but I don't get why people like him so much. He does not care about the people who come on the show. He comes across so shallow and he uses the "aaaahhhh" in nearly every sentence. Terrible presentation.

I do love his top ten lists.

With Leno you can keep up with all the latest news by listening to his monologue rather than all the talking heads on the major networks.

When Carson retired I watched his last show. Of all the people in the world he could have as his last guest, he picked Bette Midler.

Date: March 05, 2013 07:43AM

cricket Wrote:
>
> When Carson retired I watched his last show. Of
> all the people in the world he could have as his
> last guest, he picked Bette Midler.

that's funny, I remember that too. This is gross, but when my bff and I were younger, we really wanted to be on Johnny Carson so we started saving our chewed up gum. We saved nearly 3 years worth and we were molding it into a statue of Johnny's head. We were hoping that would get us on his show but then he retired. My friends mom found it in her basement years later, wrapped it up, and gave it to my bff for Christmas lol It was finally disposed of shortly therafter. Many pictures were taken though. :)

Posted by: Rick Kodos ( )
Date: June 18, 2013 12:39AM

I have watched David Letterman since his start. He spends all of his time now on politics and none of it on humor. Go home Dave and relax. Get off the air waves and let some one with humor take over. I vote for Craig Ferguson and his skeleton side kick. I 'm 62 and I wish Johnny Carson would rise from the dead. Anything is better then this shit from Letterman.

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: June 18, 2013 12:53AM

Well if this thread can rise from the dead, may Johnny can too.

Posted by: NeverBeenaMormon ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 07:55AM

I'm definitely a Conan fan - http://www.youtube.com/user/teamcoco

Posted by: bishop Rick ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 08:01AM

He beat everybody, hands down.

Date: March 05, 2013 08:01AM

When I first moved here I started dating a guy that was really nice. We had one HUGE argument though. He loved Jay Leno because he used to watch it with his parents every night. I told him I preferred Conan. This was in the midst of Conan being "fired." We used to banter back and forth about that. That's not really why I stopped seeing him but it made for some great arguments that sometimes ended up with touching and kissing :)

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 10:08AM

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: June 18, 2013 01:39AM

+10

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 10:38AM

I'm a Leno fan and I like Letterman's cerebral and self deprecating manner. My wife loves to watch Craig Ferguson. As for the others, they just don't appeal to me.

Ron Burr

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 11:02AM

I will watch old clips of his show on You Tube to get my Carson fix. He was the best there ever was or will be.

I used to love Letterman and have watched him from the very beginning when he started Late Night but he's become so cynical and partisan that i've stopped watching him.

Leno always seemed so lame to me. And he ripped off Letterman every chance he could get.

None of the current late night hosts really appeal to me now.

Posted by: FormerLatterClimber ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 11:22AM

Die hard Conan fan here. Been watching him since his debut back in the early nineties. I've even developed a bit of a crush. He's sooo tall, raawr! Makes me giggle every night. I call him Consey, cuz we're tight like that :-P

And who doesn't LOVE Jimmy Fallon's thank you notes?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2013 11:30AM by FormerLatterClimber.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 11:29AM

Letterman sounds to angry, jaded, and cynical now. His sarcsm used to be funny. Now it's basically those first 3 things I just mentioned.

Leno's a tool. What he did to Conan made me turn on Leno.
Conan's alright, but I can see where the production staff at the Tonight Show helped Conan because his new show isn't as good.

Kimmel and Fallon are pretty good.

I hear Arsenio is coming back so hopefully his show is good too.

Date: March 05, 2013 11:36AM

this entire argument is over and done if Arsenio comes back

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: June 18, 2013 12:48AM

I'm not one for the comedic celebrity talk shows. I watch Charlie Rose when someone I like is on, & I used to watch Tom Snyder (RIP) when someone I liked was on his show.

I do however like the Daily Show (both the Craig Kilborn & Jon Stewart years) & Stephen Colbert.

Posted by: moe ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 12:59PM

Jimmy Kimmel rulz

He will knock jay off the top spot...you heard it hear first

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: June 18, 2013 12:50AM

I can only stand to watch the first part of the shows. I hate the celebrity interviews.

Having said that I love Conan.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: June 18, 2013 01:09AM

I like Leno, but only the first part. I don't think his interviews are all that interesting. I think Letterman is much better at that part. I can't stand Conan because his humor is just dumb, unlike Johnny Carson who was really sharp and witty. I'm actually surprised so many people here like Conan because I don't think I know anyone in real life who is much of a fan. I think Jimmy Kimmel is the next big thing however. I also like Craig Ferguson but he tends to blow hot or cold - either his show is really funny or absolutely flat. I'm willing to believe though, that I'm either in the mood for him or I am not so it might just be me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2013 01:14AM by CA girl.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 18, 2013 01:49AM

I grew up with the ppl prior to JC / JL. Jack Paar,

I think of the newbies... Kimmel beats em All, including (UGH) Ferguson. He's ( Ferg) ROT, I tell U!

JCarson will 'always' be #1; Groucho Marx was the best comedian of All Time...

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: June 18, 2013 03:06AM

I also like Jimmy Fallon and Conan. Letterman reminds me of my ex-husband who watched him every night and has a lot of the same mannerisms. Ick.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.