Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 03:39AM

A letter sent out to all leaders scross the world. Dated Feb 26, 2013:

"In preparation for Easter Sunday, we again encourage Bishoprics and Branch Presidencies to plan sacrament meeting music and speakers that teach and commemorate the resurrection. Without planning any additional meetings or activities, teachers and leaders may also use Sunday classes and meetings, such as a combined Priesthood and Relief Society meeting to further discuss the glorious blessings of the Savior's atonement.

We testify of the living reality of The Lord Jesus Christ and pray that individuals and families across the world will seek to strengthen their love for and commitment to Him."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 04:00AM

Okay... Nothing really stupendous there as far as I can see. It all sounds rather routine.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 04:06AM

I was being sarcastic ;)

Isn't it wonderful, isn't it marvellous to have such inspired prophets...... Joseph Smith at least made up wild stuff on metaphysical aspects of Godhood. President Monson tells us to celebrate Easter at Easter time.

Posted by: too much joy ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 04:14AM

"Without planning any additional meetings or activities...."

Nothing superfluous, mind you.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 04:20AM

If they actually celebrate Easter,that would be news. It was just another Sunday when I was going.

Posted by: momjeans ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 11:38AM

Another Sunday but with a new dress.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 11:14AM

More correlated, predictable, uninspired, P.R. and legal dept approved stuff. There's nothing revealing or revolutionary about anything they do or say; it's a business at best (MLM at worst) saying and doing whatever they need to do to keep the Jesus/religion masquerade going.

Okay... maybe it's worse than MLM.

Posted by: GBoy ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 11:20AM

1. Sarah McLachlan, "In the Arms of the Angle"

2. Whitney Houston, "I Look to You."

3. JoJo, "Exceptional."

4. Leona Lewis, "Footprints in the Sand."

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 11:20AM

with the mormon bosses attempting to "mainstream" their corporation masquerading as a church, this may actually come to pass.

Posted by: GBoy ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 11:25AM

My apologies.

My previous post was for another thread.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 01:52PM

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 11:31AM

The fact that they felt the need to tell people it was okay to focus on or discuss the savior and not Joseph Smith, plus felt the need to tell people who run the church what Easter is for, says it all.

Cult? Who, me?

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 11:41AM

I'll need to remember this post the next time I hear someone complaining about how they never hear about Jeebus in the Mormon church.

Posted by: Bicentennial Ex ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 11:53AM

Do you think that maybe in another 4 or 5 decades from now they will recognize Palm Sunday? That is, to say, without planning any additional meetings or activities?

I cannot find the words.

BcE

Posted by: Chicke N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 12:09PM

No mention of flowers? One of the best things about "other" church Easters is the totally decked out interior with all kinds of amazing flower arrangments.

I want flowers!

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 01:17PM

members are encouraged to "volunteer" their own flower arrangements this year. There's a sign-up sheet on the wall. Please coordinate amongst yourselves ;)

Posted by: german lurker ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 04:41PM

> No mention of flowers? One of the best things about "other" church Easters is the totally decked out interior with all kinds of amazing flower arrangments.

and even more amazing: altar with Easter bunny decoration ;-)
see the first photo:

http://www.landgemeinde-quellendorf.de/fotos/2/49558/stadt_potsdam/schnappschuesse/ostergottesdienst_in_quellendorf/

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 12:42PM

All empty words if they ever again dump General Conference onto Easter Sunday.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 01:03PM

Honestly, I've been to a number of Easter services where neither Jesus nor the resurrection were the focus of the talks. Maybe they had one Easter hymn surrounded by the usual talks on tithing, food storage, obedience whatever. So it's a step in the right direction. Unfortunately, it just shows how NOT focused on Jesus the Mormon religion is if they have to be REMINDED to talk about Jesus on Easter. It's like reminding someone to breath when it should be perfectly obvious that it's necessary.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 02:00PM

Two out of three of my Mormon Easters were entirely devoid of any mention of Jesus at all, never mind the cross or the resurrection. The other one occasion was when Easter happened to fall when a Seventy was visiting from across the border. He gave an impassioned talk about Easter and it gave me hope - for the Mormon Church. But the next year, in my ward anyway, it was back to missionary farewells in SM on Easter Sunday. Exactly as Shannon described, not what converts familiar with Protestant and Catholic services expect or need or want.

Getting a directive from the top to celebrate the resurrection at Easter is all you need to know about where Mormonism is on the scale of Christian belief.

It is pitiful that they are so completely clueless when it comes to how to practice Christianity. (No offense meant to regular Mormons but the leaders leave a lot to be desired in many regards).

Date: March 02, 2013 03:27PM

"It is pitiful that they are so completely clueless when it comes to how to practice Christianity."

Really, I didn't know that practicing Christianity was so strict that there was a correct way to do it and an incorrect way to do it. Who decides what is correct and what is incorrect?

If I recall correctly, Jesus never gave out instructions on what to do during Easter. So, if Jesus didn't give those instructions on how to practice Christianity correctly, who did?

I can't remember a single time in all of the decades of Mormonism in which I personally wasn't centered on Christ. Was I doing it wrong as well?

Date: March 02, 2013 05:58PM

Easter is the center of the Christian faith so expecting Christians to.as acknowledge itdoesn't seem to be too much. I am glad your ward was Christ centered,but mine really were not.

Date: March 02, 2013 06:52PM

I thought Jesus was the center of the Christian faith. Again, if he didn't come up with the ceremonies that we associate with Easter, then who did?

Who exactly expects Christians to observe Easter? If it wasn't Jesus, then who is expecting this?

Obviously my argument is that the expectation to celebrate Easter a certain way comes from people whose opinions are fairly irrelevant. Jesus never prescribed any of this and there is no good reason why we should either.

I think it is relatively absurd that people will criticize Mormonism for not being Jesus centered and then in the same breath criticize them for not following exactly a purely and obviously man-made tradition that was never even mentioned in their holy texts.

At least Mormons still celebrate a version of Easter. Many Puritan groups have rejected the tradition entirely. Are they less Christian because of it?

Date: March 02, 2013 07:27PM

I t is a nearly 2000 year old.Christian tradition and pretty much practiced by all Christians. Maybe they don't all do it the same way, but you will not find another church where it is ignored or downplayed in favor of another talk about following the prophet. THe point is that If you want to appear Christian following some Christian traditions help. Besides member complain. I know because I have heard them and seen them in other churches on Easter and Christmas. Whether Jesus mentioned it or whether the resurrection actually happened isn't the point. They believe it did and claim to Chrstians and then ignore Jesus. I see a problem here.I also see dissatisfaction on part of the members

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2013 07:32PM by bona dea.

Date: March 02, 2013 07:44PM

Sure, the members are dissatisfied. That is why they are leaving in droves. :)

Also I've seen a lot of Mormons go to a Catholic church for holidays as well because they like how Catholics worship.

I agree, whether the resurrection happened or not is not relevant. I didn't really address that either. But I do disagree with you on your other statement. Whether Christ mentioned it or not is relevant in this context. When one person who believes in the deity Christ is looking down on another person who believes in the deity Christ because they don't follow man made traditions I feel like they are in error.

Assuming for a second that Jesus really was a god, the fact that Jesus didn't prescribe Easter traditions means that a good Christian shouldn't either. Do they feel like they can speak for Jesus, or that their authority is higher than his?

It is highly illogical for them to take that position. I also find it highly arrogant.

Date: March 02, 2013 07:59PM

And how do you know that the supposedly resurrected Jesus didn't say something about it that wasn't recorded? And what is arrogant about wanting to commemorate an event that is important to you anyway? It is human nature.JFK didn't ask me to remember him every Nov 22 ,but I do.You are certainly entitled to not let it bother you, but I really don't see any arrogance here at all. Mormons are also entitled to ignore Easter if they want, but my point is that they are shooting themselves in the foot by doing so and like the rest of the posters, I see some irony here.In other words, I think you are missing the point.Most of us don't go to the Mormon church any more and don't really care what they do on Easter. We are commenting on the irony and on our feelings about the lack of Easter when we were members. Maybe it wasn't an issue for you, but it was one of.my WTF moments. Apparently a lot of posters felt the same way judging from the responses

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 01:17PM

That's pretty funny!

Thanks to their free focus groups (places like RfM) and the complaints they hear from other Christians, they know one complaint is that there is not enough JESUS on special Jesus days.

So they had to send out a reminder because they don't trust everyone to make the church look better by talking about Jesus on Jesus day.

Of course they wouldn't realize that announcements like that just make them seem more goofy.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 01:45PM

"Commemorate the resurrection."

Well, that's a d@mn first. I was sooooo disappointed with Mormon Easter Services when I became an adult convert. I grew up in Catholicism, and let me tell you, those folks know how to party!

Easter Mass was all pomp & circumstance, and candles & incense, flowers, and big choirs with professional orchestras. Holy Cow! We did the fancy bows, frilly dresses, patterned tights, and patent leather shoes for all of our little girls. And every little boy got a fresh haircut, and a brand-spanking new "Easter outfit" with a bow tie. Even the women bought a new dress/hat/shoes every year.

Hell, when I dressed my kids like that for Mormon Services, it was primarily the CONVERTS in the ward who would hug my kids and remark how "fresh as springtime" they looked . . . wistfully remembering their own childhood Easters in their Protestant or Catholic churches.

But did the dry, same-as-usual MORMOM Easter service ever focus exclusively on Jesus and his resurrection? Noooooooo. Other stuff, always lots of other stuff!

And the ATONEMENT!

I *always* thought the Mormon church had their doctrine all screwed up on this point. Easter is about Jesus' sacrifice on the CROSS, not the night before in the Garden of Gethsemene (that's such a Mormon concept!) The WHOLE ENTIRE POINT OF EVERYTHING IN CHRISTIANITY IS ABOUT THE RESURRECTION!!!! Not the Atonement!

Duh. Is Monson just now figuring this out? If the Mormons want to look like mainstream Christians, they better get their sh!t straight - they confuse the h@ll out of everything.

So, I finally got fed up and our family started spending all of our Easter Sundays and Christmas Eve Midnight Masses at my parents' Catholic church . . . big bows, fancy dresses, bow ties, little suits and all.

;o)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2013 01:51PM by shannon.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 02:40PM

But lets not be having any special Sunrise Service or anything like that. We don't want to be TOO Christian. They are abominations in the sight of Tha Lard, after all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2013 02:40PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 03:24PM

The OTHER Easter service our family traditionally attended was Easter sunrise service here on the ocean. It was diverse, with clergy from several denominations co-conducting. There was a giant wooden cross silhouetted against the ocean and the rising sun. The crowd bundled up and sat on blankets or stadium chairs, sang popular Christian songs, and listened to a generic Christian sermon about Jesus Christ and loving your neighbor.

Gosh, I get goosebumps just thinking about the simplicity of that message and the feeling of community I got from sharing friendship and hope with my family and fellow beach-lovers.

And, of course, the whole thing was always followed by a big brunch and Easter Egg hunt at my folks' beach house.

;o)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2013 03:28PM by shannon.

Date: March 02, 2013 03:28PM

"But lets not be having any special Sunrise Service or anything like that."

Are sunrise services a more holy way to worship?

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 02:12PM

This is actually stupendous news. They are mainstreaming towards Christianity. If it were a genuine emphasis of Mormon doctrine, there would be Easter Saturday commemorations.

Explicitly focusing on the resurrection instead of the atonement is a big switch. What next? Crucifixes?

Back when i attended, i heard open disdain for other churches heretic focus on the resurrection - they were misguided. We knew the whole point was the suffering in Gethsemine (sp?). There would be smirking when we saw the Easter services spilling out of other churches.

Posted by: freckles ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 02:27PM

Wow, you mean the talks won't be on abuse??? What a nice change from last year. :|

Posted by: order66 ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 03:27PM

It's funny that they actually have to tell them to commemorate the resurrection on Easter. Tithing can wait 'til next week.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 03:34PM

I can't remember the year, but it was a looong time ago, they made an announcement that members weren't to get new clothes and get all dressed up for Easter.

That was the only time I might get a new dress if I was lucky. After that announcement my mother never bought me a new dress again.

As an adult I chose to ignore that stupid announcement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2013 03:35PM by Mia.

Posted by: Chloe ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 03:44PM

OMG it probably means we won't have to hear talks about paying tithes.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 04:12PM

...do you need a "prophet" to tell you to celebrate Easter on Easter. What mindless sheep.

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 04:36PM

it would be stupendous if he told us to be at little Sahara :)

Posted by: eaglejedi ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 06:36PM

I would recommend Elton Mottolo's jet boy jet girl for sacrament meeting song.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 06:58PM

What do you mean 'there'll be no talks about tithing'? Tithing is an Easter concept!!!

After all if there was no resurrection, there'd be no restoration and then there'd be no tithing.

So tithing is one way we can commemmorate Easter.

see how easy that was? snicker :P

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: March 04, 2013 06:14AM

I'm shocked. They seldom talk about Jesus/

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.