Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 10:16AM

Dear Exmo friends,

If you have been here for a while you will recall our good friend flattop. He died Monday evening. I just spoke with his partner who gave the ok to let this community know.

He moved from San Francisco to Boston a few years ago. Our family was privileged to get to know him. He was a kind and engaging person and the world is diminished without him.

Please send your warm thoughts and prayers to his family at this difficult time. If you would like to comment here, I will make sure that your condolences are conveyed to the handsome french man grieving the loss of his life's companion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2013 06:43PM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 10:20AM

I have missed him so much on this board. This really threw me. No words.

Now I've had a moment to collect my thoughts--I came here with huge regrets about my life, my marriage, being married to my gay husband. I definitely saw no happiness for my ex, but I also had a lot of anger left at what he put me through.

And then I met people like flattop through this site and my attitude towards gays changed dramatically. The gays on this board gave me hope--hope in many things. Something the LDS church stole from me. Flattop was one of the first and I've missed his posting so much. More than anything it has been gays like him who have helped me come to terms with my life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2013 10:29AM by cl2.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 10:23AM

Thank you for letting us know, msmom. I adored flattopSF. He was the first poster here who made me LOL real-time. I was just wondering about him a few days ago and had always hoped he'd come back to RfM (even though I sometimes wondered if a certain poster was FT-SF with a new board name).

My condolences to his loved ones.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 05:40PM

I heard from someone that xyz and flattop are one and the same. I am so sad.

Date: February 27, 2013 07:22PM

Thank you for confirming that, Fidget.

I suspected that was the case when I read XYZ's first post. He made me laugh the same way that FlattopSF had years ago. I figured he had his reasons for the new name and it wasn't mine to ask or tell.

It's a double-dip of sadness knowing XYZ will never again grace RfM with his wit and wisdom. I saw his name on a thread the other day and was so happy he was back...until I saw the 2012 date. He could cut through the peripheral detritus and get straight to the heart of the matter with surgical precision but still delivered the humor. I will never forget him.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 04:14PM

impossible to disguise that voice.

he is greatly missed.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 10:24AM

Kerry and I have been FB friends for a while. I noticed that his FB account went inactive.

That's so unfortunate. Goodbye, Kerry.

Posted by: ava ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 10:25AM

This s*cks. My condolences to his friends and family.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 10:26AM

Wow. No kidding? That is too bad. I remember him. He had some witty stuff. My sincere condolences. : (

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2013 10:26AM by AmIDarkNow?.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 10:30AM

My best warmest and most healing thoughts go out to his wonderful loving companion and any of his family and friends who are suffering from the loss as I am.

I knew Flattop well and enjoyed his wit and wisdom and also was privileged to have many chats with O., his best friend and partner.

Thank you so much for letting us know, msmom. Comfort to you as well as I know you were also fond of him. Take care.

Love, Cheryl

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 10:33AM

He contributed a vast amount to this board and was one of my favourite posters when I was first here.

:-(

Tom in Paris

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 10:39AM

Oh my! He was one of my favorite posters and I so hoped to meet him someday. Flattopsf was the person who opened my eyes to the treatment of gay people by the mormon church, including the hate spewed by SWK in Miracle of Forgiveness.

I have missed him on this board. Peace to his partner.

TG

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 10:39AM

I will certainly miss flattop as well. He started a funny thread after Angel Moroni atop the Oquirrh Hills Temple in SLC was struck by lightning and turn his face black.

Click here and scroll down until you see the burned image of Moroni and flattops limericks are underneath. RIP flattop.

http://www.salamandersociety.com/blacks/

Posted by: simplee ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 10:41AM

Wishing his loved ones well! I miss his comments and wisdom as well. I'm so sorry to hear this!

Posted by: vulcanrider ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 10:42AM

Man, sorry to hear that. Flattop was one of the first members that I felt I had to read everyday when I found this place. I've missed that sense of humor around here. Hope his partner, friends and family find peace in this trying time.

Posted by: Rosyjenn ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 10:44AM

I was just wondering where he was. So sorry to hear about his passing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2013 10:46AM by Rosyjenn.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 10:46AM

My love and condolence to Olivier.
Kerry was a wonderful soul.
My heart is broken.

Posted by: Taddlywog ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 10:48AM

I am so sad.

He broadened my world view. He was fun to read and I felt like he took a special interest in helping me unravel so many false beliefs I never questioned. Thanks for everything Kerry!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2013 11:06PM by Taddlywog.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 10:52AM

Please pass my condolences on to his loved ones.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 11:13AM

I was privileged to meet him on his way back east; four of us had lunch here (Swedeboy, BTC, Flattop, and myself).

I lined him up with a mechanic to make sure his aging vehicle made the trip, and he sent me a book from the Harvard bookstore on Native American migrations... It's dogeared from several readings...

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 06:05PM

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 11:19AM

I remembers Flattops humor and good sense, and I miss his posts. Sending warm thoughts to all who are hurting at this time.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 11:25AM

I'm glad to have known him, even a little bit, for a little while.
:(

Date: March 02, 2013 12:23AM

And dammit, now I know I knew him longer than I thought! I knew he must have had a different handle at some point before, but I never figured it out, and I'm never going to be in the loop enough to get the scoop...

Date: March 02, 2013 12:38AM

Now I am remembering all the times he and I(and others) fought the good fight together against some nastiness on the board, late at night(to me).
It was very good.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 11:29AM

Oh, wow. I enjoyed his posts and the few times I spent with him. A man to admire.

Posted by: LCMc ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 11:34AM

I have thought of Flattop many time over the past few months wondering how he was doing. So sorry to hear he passed.

Posted by: btc ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 11:34AM

Condolences to his loved ones. It was a joy to know this good, wise man.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 11:35AM

His posts were fun to read and it was always fun to engage with him.

My condolences,

Human

Posted by: donnabanta ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 11:43AM

I will dearly miss him. Mark and I got to know him and his partner when they lived in SF. He was such a talented and kind person who will be remembered and missed. Please convey my condolences to his family, and thanks for posting this, msmom.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 11:46AM

My sincere condolences to his family. It must be a great loss for them personally. Just as it is a loss for the family of RFM.
He made a contribution that will be greatly missed.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 11:54AM

Thanks for letting us know. He was an insightful thinker and a very nice man.

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 11:57AM

I am so very sorry to hear this. I loved his posts and will always remember our "Chicken Soup for the Soul" lunch at your house and the walk we had afterwards. I am sad today. A terrible loss too soon.

Posted by: SoCal Apostate ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 12:44PM

and he owed me a stack of keyboards (roughly one per post on a good day).

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 12:48PM

He will be sorely missed. . .

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 12:52PM

Do you have any idea of the cause? Is there a way to send a card to the family?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2013 01:06PM by MJ.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 01:04PM

I am so sorry to hear this. I loved his posts and his clever sense of humor. Condolences to his loving partner and family.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 01:11PM

And thank you, MsMom, for giving us the news. I enjoyed his posts and was delighted to have a chance to meet him in person.

Another reminder that life is short and I don't want to waste the time I have left.

Posted by: german lurker ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 03:12PM

> Another reminder that life is short and I don't want to waste the time I have left.

That is so true. 2 weeks ago the husband of a friend died at a heart attack at the age of 53. 3 hours ago coming home from work i learned that my old schoolfriend and neighbour for 50 years died yesterday evening suddenly at the age of 54. And now this sad message.
First i was delighted when i saw the name 'flattop' and thought maybe he will post here again or msmom had some good news from/about him. I had to read the sentence 'he died Monday evening' twice to realize that he died, too.
I liked his humour and his posts very much and missed them when he left the board.
My condolences to his partner, his friends and his family. Soo sad :-( ...

Date: February 27, 2013 01:18PM

I will post a link to the obituary when I have it - that will have info for remembrances.

Donna, Mark, and Cheryl - I will be at the SF exmo gathering this Sunday I hope, even if I can't make that - perhaps I can catch up with you. I will be in Vacaville from today through March 5.

Moira - thanks for the reminder of our walk. I had actually invited him to cross country ski at that park. Olivier intercepted my email with the news.

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 01:20PM

Oh my. He was one of the regulars when I first started posting several years ago. SO sad.

Please give my condolences to the family.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 01:27PM

What a sweetie. I adored his writing.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 01:54PM

Such a loss for the RFM community as well as his family and friends.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 02:00PM

How sad...He had many humorous and insightful posts. My condolences to his partner and family.

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 02:03PM

I was always hoping that he would come back here. :(

Posted by: nealster ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 02:24PM

Condolences to his family.

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 02:30PM

Oh, this is sad news.

I came to this board as a scared, closeted man several years ago and flattopSF's posts were among those that let me know I could start learning to be myself here, well before I was ready to be open with my friends and family in the real world. My thanks go to him for that gift.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 02:32PM

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 02:30PM

I too said "oh noooooooooooo" when I read this news from msmom. I laughed at so many of flattop's posts and loved his spunky attitude. I too had hoped to meet him one day.

It's hard to explain how you can shed tears for someone you have never met. But all of our tears, mine included, are an amazing tribute to a great RfM poster who touched so many of us.

Thanks for this thread, msmom, although I wish it didn't need to exist.

Condolences to the family and friends of a man who touched me through cyberspace, for whom I wished the best. I missed him when he stopped visiting RfM and wish I could still look forward to his return some day. My thoughts are about the man we knew as "flattopSF" and with his partner and family during this sad time.

Plunk - there went another big fat teardrop onto my keyboard. RIP flattop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2013 02:31PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: apikoros ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 03:10PM

Fly on, Flattop ... fly on! You were definitely one of a kind! Love ya, kid!

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 04:35PM

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 04:47PM

Oh no. He was very nice to me when some members were raking me over the coals over my husband's situation with his very estranged kids. I'm so sorry for his family and his partner. He was a great friend to this board.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 04:58PM

Best wishes to his friends and loved ones.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 05:26PM

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 05:37PM

So sorry to hear this news. My best thoughts go out to his partner and other loved ones!

Date: February 27, 2013 06:03PM

He was an amazingly talented artist, a brilliant man. A good friend. A dear heart.

He was always there for me and for so many others. Last year, I saw him in Philadelphia when he was taking one of his students to look at a grad school program at Penn. His student was nervous. Flattop allayed his fears. We walked through the studio where students were working, and Flattop explained to me what I was seeing each student work on. We went to Distrito and drank too much Sangria, or maybe that was me...

When I was unemployed and very depressed, he asked me to make a sweater for him to help keep me in cash. It only took about a year and a half for me to get it done. He was patient and understood that I had trouble focusing at times. He never allowed me to feel guilt or shame.

I loved him.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 06:07PM

So sorry for the news. Thank you for keeping us posted. Another sad loss for RfM.

Posted by: Bal ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 06:13PM

He had a great heart and a great mind, we and the world will miss him.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 06:28PM

This is very sad news! I am so sorry to hear this!

I spent some time trying to locate Flattop's signature emoticon and couldn't find it in any archives. Maybe somebody here can find it for me. It would be nice to see it once again.

Date: February 27, 2013 06:30PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2013 06:32PM by Beth.

Date: February 27, 2013 06:32PM

Posted by: leroy ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 06:32PM

This makes me sad. flattop was one of my friends even tho he didn't know it. Happy thoughts thru tears.

Posted by: Sad_Heretic ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 06:51PM

I just found out. raced to the board. xyz/flattop was a great poster and a comfort to struggling exmo's of all stripes. =-(

nsHH

Posted by: Todd ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 07:04PM

Hi, everyone. I haven't been here in a long time (went by HR or David).

Just heard about this from Beth. I never met Kerry in person, but was moved to both laughter and tears many times by his posts, and I'm certainly moved to tears by this news. I can only offer my most sincere condolences to his loved ones, and hope they know he had a positive impact on the lives of many people.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 07:04PM

another friend gone. You know you've been on RfM a long time when the number of departed who you remember gets so high.

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 07:07PM

How sad! I loved reading flattop's posts. Much sympathy to his partner and his family.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 07:16PM

doG damn! (That's how he wrote it). I loved that guy!! We corresponded often off board. He was one of my favorite posters and someone who personally got me through the initial withdrawals and chaos of leaving the church.

Rest in peace flattop. He was such a funny, talented, brilliant, creative guy.

;o)

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 07:22PM

Very sad to hear - he was someone I considered to be a friend - even if only through this site.

Date: February 27, 2013 07:23PM

Flattop praised them. He commiserated with my son about drawing drapes in 2D Design. My son was thrilled to be praised by such a wonderful man.

I'm smiling, and I'm paralyzed. It never occurred to me that there would be a time that I couldn't pick up the phone and talk with him for hours.

Date: February 27, 2013 07:29PM

to see if it's okay if I link to some of the things he wrote for my now defunct blog.

With eloquence and humor, he wrote about being Mormon and gay.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 07:34PM

Oh my goodness, what sad, sad, sad news. What awful news! I'm just so devastated.
Please tell Olivier that I'm weeping at the loss, and my hope that he can somehow be comforted.
Ken

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 08:04PM

Wow, another person from my RfM infancy is gone. I loved his contributions on the board and am so incredibly sad he's gone. Please send all my sincere condolences to his partner.

Posted by: Ctus ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 08:21PM

I have been here nearly 8 years. I will always remember flat top as 1 of the first posters whose advice I always looked forward to. He was truly a great part of this board, and will be missed.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 08:47PM

I didn't know flattop and xyz were one in the same. It's like losing two posters I loved to chat with at the same time. That's so sad. Hugs to his loved ones. I just don't know what to say. He'll be greatly missed.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 08:49PM

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 09:36PM

I'm so sad to hear this. I could always count on xyz's post to make me laugh or smile. I never met him in person or even knew his real name but he was one of my favs. THAT is how much he affected people with his loving and caring personality. It was just natural to him. Love and Peace to his partner and family. We're gonna miss you xyz!

Posted by: Friend of a Mo ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 09:39PM

I always made a point to read his posts. My condolances to his Partner and family.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 09:40PM

All choked up here. :(

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 09:45PM

I really enjoyed his posts here. He was very intelligent AND funny.

RIP, flattop. I was lucky to have cyber-known you! Thanks for all the fish.

Thoughts and concern from me to his partner and family.

Posted by: Boomer ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 09:48PM

A great loss for this community as well as Flattop's family and companion.

He was a person who did great good in his life, sometimes without even knowing it. For a long time I read his posts about being a gay person and they were interesting but not relevant to me. Then a young relative came out of the closet and I was ready to greet him with open arms and a loving heart, thanks in part to what I've read on this board.

Rest in peace, Flattop.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 10:47PM

After reading flattop had passed, I was (and have been) hoping that eventually xyz would come back to the board. "Two" of my favorite posters of all time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2013 10:48PM by cl2.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 11:32PM

Oh no. I will miss him. We responded to one anothers posts and occasionally emailed. More than anyone he helped me understand better what it was to be gay and to be a passionate, caring human being. I will miss him.

Posted by: paintinginthewin ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 12:54AM

he had great things to say every time

Posted by: et in Utah ego ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 01:04AM

Oh no. I loved him dearly. His posts were a high point of my time on this blog.

The world is a bit more diminshed now.

Posted by: Not Alice ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 01:26AM

So many years ago, I posted here for the first time, and FlattopSF was one of the first to answer me. He had great empathy and compassion. I felt close to him, because he was from SF, where I was from, and I felt the brunt of prejudice within the cult, because I was twice-divorced and single.

XYZ was one of my favorite posters, and I always agreed with whatever he wrote. He was so kind.

There are so many people, like me, whom he never met, but he helped all is in ways he never knew about.

My condolences to his family and loved ones.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 01:29AM

My condolences to his partner and family. I really enjoyed his posts on this board and will miss him.

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 01:40AM

Heartfelt condolences to his partner, his family, his friends and his friends here at RfM who knew him IRL.

Posted by: FormerLatterClimber ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 01:49AM

There are just no words. I never knew him as "flattop," only as XYZ. I'm so sorry. We really love him here. He was always so full of life. It will never be the same without him. So so sad. We have lost great great man.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 03:12AM

He and I exchanged notes some years back and I told him that he and his partner were welcome to stay with us if they were ever in our area. I'm so sorry we never got to meet!

He was definitely one of a kind, and we have all lost a dear friend.

Hugs and condolences to his partner.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 03:19AM

(((Olivier)))

Briggy

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 04:08AM

Loved his posts. Gone too sooon. RIP, job well done (living life and spreading cheer)

Posted by: puck ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 04:10AM

It has been heartening for me to read everyone that remembers Kerry. I thought I'd offer a bit too.

He and I emailed quite a bit before he moved to Boston, when I was a lowly undergraduate having a tough time in school and he was excited to embark on a new career path. When he moved to Boston, he lived only about a mile from me, and I saw him and Olivier quite often.

The more communication broke down between my blood relations and me, the more Kerry was there. When I was sick, and eventually diagnosed with Crohn's, he had me over for dinner. I could drop by pretty much any time, and I often did with a pound of coffee or box of tea from Starbucks in hand. We'd sit on his back deck and drink coffee, as I told him about the boys I'd met or were dating and he told me stories of his youth.

When I needed someone to tell me I was worth something, that my parents weren't right to abandon me, that I did have a place in the world, Kerry was there. We'd get a beer or go on walks or sit on the front deck and watch the people pass below. He'd explain to me why all the doorjams in the neighbourhood were crooked, and then he'd explain to me that there is love in the world, if not in my life, I just had to see it.

We graduated at the same time at Harvard, me with my bachelor's, him from the graduate school of design. I spotted him before we all marched into the Yard, but he was too far away to talk to. I waved; he didn't see me through the thousands of caps and gowns, but he was animatedly talking to a classmate from the GSD and grinning that grin of his that lit up his whole face.

I moved for law school and work, but I was back in Boston for a few days last fall and he, Olivier, and I managed to have dinner together downtown. Kerry and I met early and walked through Boston common, he chided me for not knowing any latin names for the trees and recited them all for me. I told him about the guy I'd met the previous year, how sure I was of things, how I finally understood what he meant when he said love would come. He was so supportive and happy for me, and told me to hang onto that feeling. And also to invite him to, what he expected, knowing me, would be a black-tie affair of a wedding. I told him not to move so fast, but he'd be the first one to know. And he would have been.

He last emailed me after the recent big snow storm in Boston, sending along some commentary on the 28 inches of snow. The last big snowstorm, on the 26th of December 2010, he had driven through the early settled snow to drop off some christmas cookies we had made together.

Kerry was more than a friend to me, he was family. He was often the closest thing I ever had to a father, though I don't know if he was ever comfortable with that. We did joke about how having 'gay dads' led me to working for a gay-rights nonprofit. He was, as always, proud of that too.

I can't believe this happened and I still kind of think it must be a cruel prank, because no one that loving, that kind, that wonderful should ever leave life that young. I knew a lot of his background stories, he would tell them to me not only as we became closer, but, I think, to show that things get better. I only wish that life had been better to him.

the last thing I said to him was 'I miss you!' and from him to me was a complaint about having to return library books in the rain, with his usual sign-off, 'Love, Kerry.'
I hadn't yet told him I'd be back in Boston in April; I was planning to show up at his apartment like I used to as a surprise. I wish I'd gotten to tell him what a difference he made in my life, how I still need him, and how very much I will miss having him around.

Date: February 28, 2013 05:13AM

You got off lucky! :-)

We talked a lot about divorcing our families. We were raised in cults. We were fed bullshit we tried to believe and we tried to conform until we realized it was killing us. And even though we left, the programming runs deep. We knew that we weren’t worthless, but that doesn’t mean that we didn’t *feel* that way because of the tremendous abuse and hatred hurled at us from our families, communities and from the outside world during formative parts of our lives.

We remembered the people we were becoming before we were molded into people we didn’t want to be. We tried to live as if all the sh[i]t that happened between the people we were becoming naturally, the sh[i]t that was imposed on us, didn’t exist and we could go back and be who we were growing to be and finish that arc. That’s impossible, and we knew it.

We tried to take all that crap in the middle and put that in some sort of perspective, but that’s impossible because some things will never make sense, and it’s crazy making to try to find some meaning in it all when there’s no meaning to be found.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 05:20AM

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 08:43AM

Puck, I haven't seen you here in ages. Ages. So sorry for this loss to you and to Flattop's other loved ones, especially his partner. And thanks for re-appearing here for the moment. I hope you are well.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 03:39PM

Puck, it's nice to hear from you. Early this morning I was thinking about Flattop and wondered if we would hear from you, because you were in Boston together. Thanks for such a lovely reminiscence.

Date: March 02, 2013 12:32AM

I texted the news to the last phone number I had for you. The person whose number it now is texted back condolences but confirmed that you were NOT at that number.

Email me if you like - I would love to see you again in April and hear about your adventures.

mksnow@comcast.net

Posted by: Gazelam ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 08:27AM

So sorry to hear. I always enjoyed his posts, and we briefly connected as I was leaving Boston and he was coming in. A great person who truly excelled living life on his own terms.

Posted by: Sandie* ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 08:42AM

FlattopSF was the first gay person that I became close to through emails and his postings here. I learned a great deal about homosexuality from Kerry as their wasn't a single question that he did not respond to.

Kerry, I was just thinking about you this past weekend as I watered the orchid plants. I wanted to send you one when the weather warmed up.

Bless your heart, Kerry, lover of life to the extreme. We are going to miss you. I already do!

In love and tears, Cathy

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 11:02AM

Other than this sucks. I only knew Flattop through his posts here over the years but feel a huge sense of loss at the news of his passing. Odd how you can feel closer to someone you've never met in person than I often felt to most in my time in the LDS Church.

Flattop, your wit and wisdom will be missed. May you rest in peace.

Posted by: popolvuh ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 11:22AM

I only knew him as xyz and he was one of the main reason I hung around here this last year. His humor and charm and sharp but kind words had such an impact on me, especially on particular days when I needed a boost. He was by far the most welcoming person to me in this little online community and I was so grateful for that, it can be tough here on noobs.

When I read articles and hear stories about the rather suprising and profound way people can connect online, without ever having met in RL, I now know what they mean because that is how I quickly came to feel about xyz and a few others here at RfM. I can't count the times I wished I was lucky enough to know him in real life, to hang around together and tell stories and talk about books and debate the state of the world. I envy those of you who did know him and offer my deepest condolences. Its so odd to sit hear at the screen in tears and feel such grief that he is gone, this person I can't even picture and whose voice I never heard and whose hand I never shook. I will miss him immensely and never be able to lurk or post here again without thinking of him.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 11:44AM

Popolvuh, u took the words out of my mouth.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 11:23AM

I only knew him as xyz. We had very few direct interactions, but I always look forward to his posts. Everyone here knows why, you knew when his name was on a post it would be a good read. His voice has been missed, the board is different without him here.

My sympathies to his partner and loved ones.

Posted by: SpongeBob SquareGarments ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 12:51PM

Sorry to hear that. I remember seeing his thoughtful posts many times over the years. He was one of the fellow old-timers from the board. R.I.P.

Posted by: GBoy ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 12:53PM

I hope and pray that those who love him and know him will be comforted and their hearts will be filled with peace and loving memories of him.

Posted by: librarykim2 ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 03:15PM

So sad. I loved reading his posts as xyz. He will be missed.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 03:45PM

Very sad news. I enjoyed interacting with flattop on RFM, ran into him once or twice out on the web, exchanged a few emails with him, etc.

Condolences to his friends and family.

Posted by: et in utah ego ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 03:45PM

your post has helped me a lot right now.

Posted by: Xyandro ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 05:00PM

I only knew xyz from interaction here, but he was always spot on, and his humor always appreciated. Condolences to his family (especially his partner) and friends.

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 05:50PM

RfM should do a special archive of his posts in tribute :)

Posted by: brownie ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 06:42PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 08:07PM

What sad news! The board was (and is) a better place because he was here. My deepest sympathy to his friends and loved ones.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 09:08PM

I don't believe this. I am devastated. I didn't read this until now because I had never heard of flattop.

What honest funny razor sharp wit, all full of heart. I am so sorry I never got to meet him. Love to the partner and family.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2013 09:09PM by blueorchid.

Date: February 28, 2013 09:30PM

I sent a note to Susan asking if she could get permission from msmom to add "XYZ" to the subject with "flattop". I'm sure there are many people who skipped over this thread because they didn't know flattopSF, but they knew XYZ and would want to read the thread. I can't stop crying. He was a fantastic person who touched so many lives.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 09:39PM

I knew him as "xyz", and I enjoyed his company very much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2013 09:46PM by archytas.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 09:39PM

He was xyz? :o( Now I'm sad too.

Posted by: ragingphoenix ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 10:51PM

I'm sick to my stomach. I was waiting for a post a while from now about happiness away from here. I didn't know Flattop was xyz, so I missed the thread feeling like a newbie who didn't want to tread on those who have put in more time.

I loved reading your posts xyz...

I have real tears for you, although I only know you through writing...

Posted by: Starry not signed in ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 11:16PM

I will miss reading xyz posts too. My deepest condolences to his family and partner.

Posted by: Bicentennial Ex ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 11:28PM

I wish every comfort to his family and miss his presence here. Have saved a few of his posts from the past. He was a keeper.

BcE

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 11:33PM

...a glass raised to a man who could say more with a few words than most can say with many.

Cheers to you xyz.

Posted by: longtallsally ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 11:53PM

Flattop was one of my favorite all-time posters. My condolences to his partner and family.

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: February 28, 2013 11:58PM

I hope that flattop's family and friends can find peace,joy, and comfort during this tough time in their lives. flattop, you are loved more that you could have ever imaged.

Posted by: sithlord ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 12:37AM

We will miss you XYZ!! Thank you for helping me when I needed you!

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 02:40AM

My condolences to his partner and friends.

Posted by: abinadiburns ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 08:59AM

He helped me cut ties with my toxic family. I was going through a difficult time and he offered some wise advice. This was 2008-2009 when prop 8 happened. This is also the year I married my girlfriend, and was struggling through the first year of grad school.

His advice freed me up to find family in the gay community and to move forward. He let me know it was okay to choose to no longer be harmed by people who say they love you, but love an organization more.

I will always have a special place in my heart and memory for FlattopSF. My sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2013 09:00AM by abinadiburns.

Posted by: Mujun ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 05:57PM

Today, I am comforted yet haunted by these words from my friend, Kerry Rutz:

"I believe that events such as birth or death are transitions. Individuals, and we who are around them, must pass through them alone, each in our own way. For the individual, a nexus or gateway into or out of this existence is opened, and elemental life forces are shaken loose in the process. Others sharing the experience must undergo a different spiritual transformation; either to cling to our loved ones’ memory so much that we also “die” in this existence, or to climb through the pain of loss and return to the joy of life, having become deepened, enriched."

In a tragic irony discovered on Tuesday, Kerry made such a transition in his own way, apparently at his own hand. He was one of the kindest, most giving, fun, engaging, inspiring, intelligent people I've ever met. Everyone I knew who also knew him would say the same.

The last time I saw him was nearly four years ago, just before he moved to Massachusetts. It was a hard time for me, and Kerry made himself available to help. He welcomed me to his home and listened, then shared great advice and wisdom when I asked for some. He told me all about his inspiring story of arriving at his forties and realizing he needed to do something else with his life. He shared the processes that led him to figure out what that something should be. Kerry went back to school and finished his bachelor's degree at Cal, then was accepted into a master's program in design at Harvard. He talked to me about how such an individual journey worked within a committed relationship and the agreements he and his partner, Olivier, had made that allowed them both to pursue their dreams and support each other. I remember one gem of wisdom in particular which I've shared with many people since. Kerry said that committed relationships are hard, and there had been times when he wondered if it might make more sense to try again rather than take on the daunting work it takes to redefine, reinvent and stay together. He said, "But I know I'm high maintenance, and Olivier was already trained!"

Kerry helped so many people. I'm saddened and sorry that he found himself in a place where nobody could help him. I send my heartfelt sympathy to Olivier and all the many friends who feel this loss. Kerry, I hope that somehow this transition brings you peace.

Thus spake Mujun.

Posted by: adamisfree2006 (formerly on_my_way_out_2) ( )
Date: March 04, 2013 11:28AM

Posted by: Mujun ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 06:35PM

I had a computer die on me several years ago, and I think your email address went with it. If you still have mine, could you please contact me? I'm right on your way Sunday if you're going from Vacaville into the city. I don't know if I will have the time to go, but would like to connect.

Posted by: dazed11 ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 12:47AM

I am so sad to hear this. He was my favorite poster here. His posts were always so funny and his advice was always the best in almost any thread.

Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 01:44AM

That's really sad...I had barely gotten to know him and I liked his posts a lot...I was actually wondering where he had been and for about the past month I was hoping he would come back. I really hope that wherever he is whether there is an afterlife or not, I hope he's happy.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 01:52AM

I didn't realize he was XYZ, I only really knew him by the second handle. The world is a sadder place without him.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: July 19, 2013 05:38PM

I dont think Flattop SF was XYZ... I tried to get him to come back to the board...he wouldnt...and XYZ has been on here twice since his death...this wont let me post the same as it looks like spam...but I dont think Kerry is/was XYZ

Posted by: spicyspirit ( )
Date: March 02, 2013 02:03AM

His were posts I always read twice or more. A long time lurker knows all the personalities here, and he was incredibly special. When a lurker is feeling a pit in their stomach, you know this loss is gigantic. Kerry, xyz, you made it count while you were here. You did more for humanity than the church could ever claim. The proof is above this post and the stories of you helping others. We can remember you best by striving to be more like you. RIP.

Posted by: adamisfree2006 (formerly on_my_way_out_2) ( )
Date: March 04, 2013 11:26AM

I read of his passing yesterday and was very saddened by the news. I remember his posts as FlattopSF many years ago. His wit and humor will be missed on this board.

RIP Kerry/FlattopSF!

Posted by: Silverkat55 ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 07:32PM

Thank you all, so much. for the tributes to the man you all know as "flatop/XYZ". He has been my neighbor for the last three and a half years - and yes, he was kind, engaging, brilliant. articulate, creative and oh so funny. In the days since his death, I have been moved by the outpouring of love and gratitude contained in your posts. Kerry's legacy is one of artistic talent and thought-provoking, positive communication. The wonderful energy that he left behind is there for the taking. Anyone who met him felt a certain, unforgettable spark. He was a wonderful neighbor..and I feel lucky that our paths crossed. Thank you to all of you. Miss you, Kerry.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 09:20PM

I am glad that you found our little community. Please feel free to stick around.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 07:56PM

I found flattop/xyz's posts so insightful and thought provoking. I will miss him and his contribution here deeply.

Posted by: jl ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 10:20PM

It breaks my heart that a loving person like Kerry has left us.

And, every time there's a thread like this, it is just...difficult for me to type up a post. I'd find myself in tears, my heart aching for someone I've never met but admired.

Please, everyone, don't just leave this world, thinking your existence matters to no one. Each of us touches another life and lifts up another soul in one way or another, and it is what makes this community beautiful and precious. It is what makes this world beautiful and precious.

Kerry, may you rest in peace...

Posted by: Silverkat55 ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 08:13AM

Flattop/xyz studied landscape architecture. He knew the scientific name for nearly ever plant and blade of grass. Crazy smart! For me, nature is something that exists within us and independent of us - so I like to think that his energy has been re-absorbed by the Cosmos. Energy drives us forward. For those of you who think you didn't know him - you did, as I suspect he posted things that he didn't necessarily talk about, as a matter of every day life. Sitting down to write, is a very personal and special endeavor - and I only learned just how good he was at it, after he died. His personality was contagious - in every way - clearly displayed in his writing.

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 03:22AM

Date: March 17, 2013 03:24AM

Posted by: mike ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 05:37AM

I haven't been on the board as much as I used to and this is news to me... really sad news. May he RIP.

There are so many suicides that are associated to this damn cult.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 07:21AM

I enjoyed your contributions on RfM. If I found a post that made me grin or that was knee slapping funny it would invariable have been written by you. Many people here have been enriched to have met you IRL, I'm all the poorer because I haven't. If there is an afterlife of some sort on some dimension I hope you find the calm and peace you have always sought from this realm.

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 11:28AM

+1

Warmest hugs and condolences, from Interested Party Overseas (Sweden)

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: July 19, 2013 02:02PM

death...when I would go to the Boston Seafood show he would take time out to see me...we went to dinner with Puck once and the last time 1.5 years ago we went to the USS Constitution together and walked around Bostons Bunker Hill as well...truly a great guy! He never deserved the treatment his brother gave him...Peace be with you Kerry Rutz! There is a sign in page on his memorial page on the internet is case anyone wants to leave a message of condolences.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.