Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 12:22PM

Yesterday DH and I were watching a science channel show about the history of cricket plagues in the Western United States. And DH said "Didn't you tell me that the seagull "miracle" didn't really happen?" I replied "Yes, I got that from a Mormon source too ... that the cricket infestation was historical fact but the idea of seagulls eating crickets then throwing them up and eating more until they were gone was a story that originated in about 1870 as a faith-building rumor. None of the early Saints mentioned it in their teachings or journals."

Then Susan Easton Black got on and told the whole seagull myth on the science channel like it was scientific fact. The more objective guy that followed her said something like "Well, it is normal for seagulls to eat crickets so, while that probably wasn't the only factor that saved the pioneer crops, it probably contributed to it." You could tell that he was trying to be respectful of Susan Easton Black's "miracle" and he didn't say anything to debunk it. Nor did he know that historically, this is a late-comer story rather than a contemporary one. And we know Black is a major player in the church's pocket. But DH became all smug, as if he'd proved to me that you can't believe everything you hear and now, on the science channel of all places, his Mormon beliefs were being validated. He's going to doubt every historical tidbit I share with him if I can't come up with some better information. How can I find out what the real story is?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jim Huston ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 12:37PM

You can find it here.

Mormons Crickets & Gulls: A New Look To An Old Story by William G. Hartley

One place you can find it is - New Mormon History edited by D. Michael Quinn

Basically
1. The gulls were not strangers to the valley. Records before and since show the various types of gulls, including the California gull in 1848, regularly inhabit the Great Salt Lake area. These birds are natural enemies of various insects, including the crickets.

2. Gulls habitually regurgitate the indigestible parts of the insects they have swallowed.

3. Gulls did not arrive until after severe cricket damage had already occurred. Even after the gulls had been “feasting” on crickets for two weeks, the insects were “quite numerous and busy eating.”

4. In 1848 Mormon crops were seriously damaged by three enemies—frost, crickets, and drought—and the gulls dealt with only one of these.

5. The “miraculousness” of the event was not clearly recognized by contemporaries. The Mormon church’s First Presidency was notably silent concerning the “Miracle of the Gulls” in its letters. Likewise the Milennial Star never told the English Saints about such a miracle. Diarists who detailed the cricket advance did not mention the gulls.

6. Since 1848 gulls frequently have been on the wing to feast on crickets and other insects, making the 1848 encounter hardly unique.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 01:39PM

I always enjoyed both of your posts.

TG

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 05:04PM

How shocking is that hungry gulls would flood the SL Valley when they see a feast awaiting them? It's like the miracle of the wolves descending on an overabundance of deer, or the miracle of the cats gorging themselves on rats.

Posted by: Shinehahbeam ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 05:09PM

I think these are the important points to share with any TBM's that have their testimonies rooted in pioneer mythology:

3. Gulls did not arrive until after severe cricket damage had already occurred. Even after the gulls had been “feasting” on crickets for two weeks, the insects were “quite numerous and busy eating.”

4. In 1848 Mormon crops were seriously damaged by three enemies—frost, crickets, and drought—and the gulls dealt with only one of these.

The gulls did NOT save the pioneer's crops, so there was no "miracle".

Posted by: Shinehahbeam ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 05:24PM

You could show your TBM spouse this Ensign article:

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1982/10/utahs-first-thanksgiving?lang=eng

It makes it pretty clear that almost all of the crops were destroyed before the locusts came. The pioneers had to replant after the locusts died off.

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 12:46PM

It's called nature and has is only seen as a specific miracle from God for his faithful Mormon followers by those faithful Mormon followers themselves. To a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

http://www.lds-mormon.com/seagulls.shtml

Chapter 8 of New Mormon History is entitled: "Mormons, Crickets, and Gulls: a New Look at an Old Story" by William G. Hartley

In this heavily referenced essay, Hartley (a BYU professor of history and church history) makes the following points:

1) The gulls were not strangers to the valley. They are natural enemies to various insects including crickets.
2) Gulls habitually regurgitate the indigestible parts of insects they have swallowed.
3) Gulls did not arrive until after severe cricket damage had already occurred in 1848.
4) In 1848, Mormon crops were seriously damaged by three enemies--frost, crickets, and drought. The Gulls dealt with only one problem and too late at that.
5) The "miraculousness" of the event was not clearly recognized by contemporaries (including newspapers, diaries, and official church correspondence).
6) Since 1848, gulls frequently have been on the wing to feast on crickets and other insects, making the 1848 encounter hardly unique.

http://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon060.htm

"In the first year of the Mormon settlement in Utah, a plague of locusts (Mormon crickets) threatened to wipe out their crops. God responded with a "miracle", sending an army of seagulls to devour the insects.
This one is true -- however the miracle part is somewhat embellished. The locusts have a seven-year hibernation cycle, and unfortunately the early settlers hit it on the end of the seventh year. For mutual protection, they had made the mistake of planting all their fields together. Therefore, the locust attack was concentrated in one spot in the valley. And the seagulls, which by their fossil remains have been at the Great Salt Lake for over 2,000 years, simply enjoyed their every-seven-year feast. They still do -- only now it's spread over thousands of square miles. (2001 was a bad year, 2008 is next)."

And this from 2009:
http://www.abc4.com/mostpopular/story/Mormon-Miracle-II-Did-seagulls-save-Tooele-County/qeS_gEGvWUS9XBMKbEWydA.cspx

The last line say it all.
"The Utah Department of Agriculture and Food said that this happens naturally from time to time."

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 01:50PM

What are the odds?

Timothy

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 02:28PM

Is there anything a seagull WILL NOT eat?

Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 11:42PM

Seagulls are the Carp of the bird world

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 23, 2016 01:12AM

As I've heard it, if you put a brick and a dressed seagull into the oven, together, at the same time, the brick will cook faster, be softer, and more tasteful than the brick.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 05:05PM

We used to go to the Great Salt Lake with my grandma as kids. My brother got his tuna sandwich snatched out of his hand from a hungry gull. The other gulls swarmed to see if there were more sandwiches for the taking.

Posted by: David A ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 02:32PM

I always thought the crickets sacrificed themselves to keep the gulls from eating the crops. A miracle!

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 04:52PM

I see gulls occasionally over in W. Colorado. Guess they must be looking for Mormons to save, eh?

Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 10:53PM

Reminds me of something my friend did. He sent a txt to a # that
"answers all of your questions". And he asked: Why are there seagulls in Colorado.

Replied: "Seagulls are attracted to large bodies of water."

There AREN'T large bodies of water in S. Colorado!

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 05:22PM

There are gulls at various locations throughout the west. The just love the trash dumps and Navajo lake here in NW New Mexico and SW Colorado.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 06:17PM

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 07:52PM

Posted by: couch ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 03:17PM

when they came to utah, crickets were eating thier crops and then a bunch of seagulls came and saved them

Posted by: Laughing at TBMs ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 06:50PM

^^ This is the post that resurrected this old thread.

A semi-literate TBM to feed us the faith-promoting Primary version.

LOL at TBMs

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: February 23, 2016 12:01AM

Laughing at TBMs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ^^ This is the post that resurrected this old
> thread.
>
> A semi-literate TBM to feed us the faith-promoting
> Primary version.
>
> LOL at TBMs

This could well be someone who is still some years away from achieving legal adulthood, and---if so---"the faith-promoting Primary version" may be the only version of this story that they know.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 04:47PM

Seagulls? It's a good thing mormon pioneers didn't grow french fries.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 04:59PM

jack Mormon,, seagull that won't eat crickets,,

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 06:27PM

We had a flock of Seagal movies on one of our local movie channels. Not much of a miracle.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 06:33PM

I think it was Will Bagley who wrote about subsequent early years in the Salt Lake valley, like the early 1850s, when the depredation of the crickets was such that the saints were on very strict rationing; things really got dicey. They were doing just like the Irish during the potato famine, eating grass, twigs, grubs...

The sea gulls did not perform their miracles during those subsequent years, but there are no stories about what a blessing it was to be tried to such an extent by their merciful, loving ghawd.

Date: February 23, 2016 12:58AM

I found the citation for Will Bagley's scholarship. I'd posted it earlier here on RfM, from another post on another site.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1682884,1682944#msg-1682944

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 06:53PM

Check this out! You'd think a prophet would have known when the Lord was sending food! The Boner

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/08/15/340653853/startups-pitch-cricket-flour-as-the-best-protein-you-could-eat

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 10:20PM

IN on cricket thread ~

wait ~

wut is this thread about ?

Date: February 22, 2016 11:37PM

It's about getting to Emerald City and getting the Wizard to give us what we need!

I'm hoping to get a color monitor!

Posted by: anony57 ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 11:48PM

So birds eating bugs is a Mormon miracle? Seriously?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 11:54PM

The way it was told to me in Junior SS was that the gulls showed up, ate every last fucking cricket, the crop was saved and all was well in GAWDS valley. I shoulda known it was a load of horseshit.

RB

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: February 23, 2016 12:26AM

The irony here lies in the fact that Mormon crickets (actually a species of katydid) are flightless--all the pioneers had to do to keep them out of their fields was put up solid barriers to divert them around the crops. Two Montana state entomologists recommended at least 10" in a 1938 study.

I guess the seagull bullshit is more dramatic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2016 12:30AM by Anziano Young.

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: February 23, 2016 12:57AM

I am stunned. stunned and hurt. That my teachers told this story with such enthusiasm. They were smart. I looked up to them. and they lied. such disappointment that I feel.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.