Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 01:44PM

The Seventh-Day Adventists began way at the end of the Second Great Awakening, coming about in May 1863. That's 33 years after the Mormons. They now have 16 million members. End of discussion.

That's only one small example. There are churches in some parts of the world, most notably in Sub-Saharan Africa, that will add a few million members per year. It's moot whether or not they achieve 14 million (and some do), the pure speed of growth far outstrips Mormons' growth.

It begs the question, how do they get away with this claim year after year? Even the press will often quote the same claim.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 01:50PM

If they repeat a lie often enough, people will believe it (and sometimes they'll even believe it themselves)

Posted by: ed ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 01:59PM

I would also add to your point that the Adventists are currently baptizing about 1 million members per year, and tend to retain pretty well. 1 million baptisms per year, you will recall, was Boyd K Packer's statistical wet dream for Mormonism some years ago, and that this has not even gotten close to panning out.

The Jehovah's Witnesses are also baptizing slightly better than the Mormons. There retention is also quite a bit better. They claim only participating members in their statistics, and for this number they have something like 6 million members. The usual upper bound for activity in the Morg is something like 1 out of 3, which puts their active membership at under 5 million.

Posted by: ipseego ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 02:05PM

The world's fastest growing religious movement is Pentecostalism. It started as one congregation in Los Angeles about 1900, and hundred years later it has 250 to 500 millions followers. The number varies according to whether one includes the later charismatic revivalism.

But Pentecostals are Congregationalist, that is, they don't believe there has to be one church organization. Every congregation is independent. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentecostalism

Outside of parts of the United States the Mormons are an insignificant group on the outskirts of the religious world, and generally don't count at all.

Posted by: Zeno Lorea ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 03:45PM

Posted by: foolserrand2 ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 03:48PM

I have to agree. In any ward I bet you see more converts coming and going when they find out what they really stepped into.

Posted by: mtnmdwcookiemonster ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 12:29AM

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 07, 2010 01:31AM

To mull it over and accept it would make a TBM's head explode.

Posted by: islam23 ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 05:51PM

wether true or not the mormons quality seems to me to still outweighs any other religions quantity

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 12:15AM

The quality of Mormonism is somewhere between dismal and nonexistant.

Go troll somewhere else.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 02:05AM

Are you kidding me? So you must be either a 6 year old BIC or a convert of 1 week.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 02:08AM

Sorry D.P. Gumby. That comment was supposed to go under islam23

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 02:09AM

I knew that. :-)

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 09:35AM

Sathya Sai Baba started a branch of hinduism in the 1940s. Current estimates put membership over 10 million. The organization had built ashrams, hospitals, schools, institutes.... The number of active Sathya Sai Baba adherents was counted in 1999 to be around 6 million.

Islam also has branches that've grown tremendously.

Personally, I'm not sure any of it is good for society. The good news is, declaring ones self as non-religious is very high in europe and around 15% in the usa, much more than LDSinc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.