Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: James Mitchell ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 01:23PM

I wasn't sure if just posting on the LA Temple thread was more appropriate for this.

There's a story in DW's family history in which a couple traveled for a week to get married in the St. George Temple in the 1800s. According to this story there were honeymoon suites IN THE TEMPLE at the time, and that's where they spent their wedding night.

This is a story passed down through the TBM generations from these great-great grandparents. I don't have a reason to doubt it and it's not from an "anti-mormon" source. The family tells the story like, "look at this wonderful service the Church used to provide people who had to travel."

It wasn't an ordinance room...but I'm quite sure many marriages were consummated in the St. George Temple (which I believe was the first temple completed in Utah).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 01:34PM

Ugh, I would rather do the nasty dance on a bed of porcupine quills than in the temple

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 02:08PM

Well . . . .

http://texasflds.wordpress.com/2009/04/04/groundskeepers-bed/

Don't we all think the FDLS are a closer match to old-timey Mormonism than today's mainstream church?

;o)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 10:36AM

This might be what keeps feeding this rumor about ceremonial sex in the temples.

Posted by: Rowell back ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 03:01PM

During he 1800's it was the temple.
Today, it's the Anniversary Inn.

Not alot of progress in the last 200 years!

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 03:21PM

Post something about Mormonism from verbal accounts that can be confirmed with written accounts.

You, sir, are worse than Brigham Young.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 10:26PM

Hahahaha I laughed so loud that my husband gave me the "WTF" face!

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 03:30PM

Actually, I posted a thread here at RFM back maybe six months or so about this.

I married in the newly built Atlanta Temple in the mid-1980s.

We lived a good 10 hours from the temple, so my husband and I had to drive in to Atlanta three days before we got married and stay in a motel (to satisfy Georgia marriage law requirements). This meant, of course, bringing a chaparone with us, since we were not yet married.

Our chaparone -- who actually slept in the motel room with the two of us until our marriage day -- was a delightful, but older lady. She was about 65 or so years old, from Mormon pioneer stock.

The night before our wedding, she took me aside for a private chat. She knew that I don't deal well with surprises, and she wasn't sure how Atlanta handled newly married couples.

So we sat at the motel poolside, and she told me that she wasn't sure what would happen the next day, but she said that temple officials MIGHT offer my new DH and I the opportunity to consumate our marriage there in the temple.

She shared with me how great a blessing she felt it was, when you could begin your intimate life with your eternal mate in the House of the Lord.

I am almost certain that she said that is how she began her marriage to her own husband. I was in such a state of shock when she told me that I might be asked to do that, that I am not 100% certain of anything she said after that. But I do believe she said that is how she started her marriage. She and her husband were married in one of the old time, Utah temples, though I don't know which one.

Anyway, I was so afraid after that, that I was going to be told to do IT in a "special room" in the temple.

But it never happened, thank heavens.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no consumation bedrooms in the Atlanta Temple. And I know for a fact that there is not one in my local McHinkley Temple.

But I know what that older lady -- who I trust implicitely -- said. She said that many marriages WERE consumated within temple walls -- at least the older temples in Utah where she grew up, and was married.

Posted by: olympia ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 09:22PM

Thanks Southern ExMo, I'm the one who posted the original thread about a temple room for consummation. See:
http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,774039

The man who told me is a rather old gentleman that I trust a very great deal too, and I do not believe at all that he lied to me about his account. I was a bit taken aback when he told me about it too, and in my shock I really didn't ask for a whole lot more details. I know I'm going to see him and sit down with him again in a week or so, I will make it a point to ask him again for all the various details he remembers about what he saw, and "return and report" to the forum here.

A lot of people on the forum have derided the tale I heard as a pure joke, foolishness, a misinterpretation, or something to make the church look bad. I am glad that someone else has also at the least heard a direct witness of temple rooms potentially for consummation itself, or of places in the temple where consummation has quite intentionally occurred.

Thank you.

Posted by: popeyes ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 03:45PM

I would do all the crazy sex acts if I stayed a night there. Yelling the names of JS's wives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2013 03:45PM by popeyes.

Posted by: Anubis ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 04:04PM

To visit the temple in the old days you would want to bring your overnight bag, PJ's, and a Black Light?

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 10:33PM

"Honeymoon suite" was what our own Anointed One called the place he stayed in the temple in England (London, Coventry?) after his second greasing, So they do have them.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 06:38AM

The early temples pretty much were multi-purpose buildings. They all had two assembly halls and the endowment seemed to be something that was not important enough to permanently design the temple around.

In fact, office space was built into the temple but permanent endowment rooms were not.

It pretty much shows the endowment later became and important membership control tool. Today the temple and temple marriage is used as a tithing and attendance generator. If you don't go to church, do what the church tells you to do, and pay your tithing, you will not be able to go to relatives or friends weddings.

Then of course the endowment is just a bunch of busy hocus pocus to justify having a temple anymore. In the old days the temple was a multi-purpose meeting house. School was even held during the week in the kirkland temple and I think they even had dances in the temples.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 06:47AM

Interesting blog on how temples have changed since the early days of the church. They used to be places of celebration and dancing. Not the boring assembly line of the modern church. It actually sounds like the early saints believed in having fun more than the current members do.

http://www.mormonheretic.org/2009/12/14/dancing-in-the-temple-and-other-changes-over-the-years/

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 07:47AM

He knows when you are sleeping, he knows, well he knows that wgat you know is wrong because if it didn't happen to him, then it never happened.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2013 07:53AM by matt.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.