Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 01:14PM

I'm not going to rehash all of the details of the varied sex life of myself and/or Mrs. Hela.

Suffice to say, when she realized some years ago that she is bi, her morg upbringing made it a problem.

A few years after "discovering" her true orientation, Mrs. Hela started feeling guilty, and tried going back to church for awhile. She even moved out for a short time, staying with friends.

Basically, a bishop had told her that she was being misled, that I was a bad influence on my own wife, and that she wasn't actually bisexual.

Mrs. Hela and I had a heart-to-heart about it. She said that she couldn't act on her feelings any more. I told her that I wasn't saying she had to. I maintained that her church was asking her not to be who she is. She replied that she didn't feel right being with women anymore. I told her that by me it was her choice and option, it was only her church that was insisting that she couldn't.

That made the stark difference for her. I never gave my wife the either-or ultimatum. In fact, I demonstrated to her that I was comfortable with whatever she chose or wanted to believe, as long as her choice made it possible for me to have my own beliefs. She quickly discovered that going back to mormonism restricted us both. And while Mrs. Hela doesn't HAVE to express her bisexuality with women, I will never ask her to *supress* an essential part of her own soul, as the mormon church did.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 01:48PM

This is what got me out of mormonism--even if I lost my marriage, I couldn't ask him to be something he isn't any longer. I, myself, would have stayed and let him have all the boyfriends he wanted--but he NEEDED to leave at that time. Well, shall we say--we had set up a living situation so he could live downstairs and me upstairs--raise the kids together. He had a separate entrance, etc., kitchen. BUT the LDS therapist he was going to at the time told him it wasn't fair to me and he needed to leave--that it wasn't fair to me. I thought that was my choice.

We live together now for the most part when I'm not staying with my boyfriend.

I have my boyfriend--he has his.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 03:32PM

"I have my boyfriend--he has his."

Ahhh...how cute...:-)

Just being smarmy and sarcastic...no hate intended....

Posted by: justrob ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 03:33PM

You're a good husband.
It's funny how plain it is to compare the stances and see who's right:
--helamonster = tolerant
--church = intolerant and controlling

Such an obvious disparity, yet for years I obviously sided with the church.
I think that's why LGBT issues have been so damaging to the church. It is too easy to compare and see that the "evil sinners" are supporting and tolerating the LGBT community, while the "righteous saints" and trying to control them at best, and despise/suppress/eliminate them at worst.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 03:57PM

The LDS church is "rules structured" Any variance from this would be unthinkable to them.

Posted by: acerbic ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 04:04PM

reminds me of The Chrysalids. And now, of course, I am wondering if that novel is covered in any schools in Utah.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.