Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Albinolamanite ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 11:45AM

I realized recently that my tbm parents used to buy alcohol-containing listerine for mouthwash when we were growing up. I also know that other kinds of mouthwash contain alcohol and I'm sure we used those as well. It's hard not to swallow a small amount when using mouthwash. Mom and dad clearly allowed us to violate the wow. Just another reason for that guy at the gate not to let me in the celestial kingdom. Thanks a lot, mouthwash.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: justrob ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 12:44PM

I knew some hard-core WOWers who refused to eat anything with Vinegar in it, because Vinegar is slightly alcoholic.

...at the time I seriously considered whether or not I should adopt that practice too.

It really is amazing that I didn't realize I was in a cult sooner.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 02:16PM

The father of one of my childhood buddies was a major alcoholic. I'm not sure of the laws now, but back then you couldn't buy alcohol on sundays (this was in Washington State). It wasn't uncommon to see him hitting on the listerine.

He also always had some hair tonic, I can't remember which kind, but you would see him tipping that back when the house had ran dry.

Posted by: anon time ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 02:18PM

A few years ago I made homemade vanilla extract for Christmas gifts. I bought high quality tahitian vanilla beans, mixed them with some good vodka and let it sit for 4 months. I bought cool swing top bottles for them and had custom labels printed. The vanilla turned out great, way superior to anything in the grocery store.

I gave one of the bottles to my TBM mom and she seemed to like it. However one of my sisters told me that once she found out it was made with alcohol, she threw it out and went back to using $2 imitation vanilla in her baking.

She didn't realize that all vanilla extract has alcohol in it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.