Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 10:52AM

Several years ago I was in Utah visiting my TBM aunt and cuz.

Cuz told me a story as follows:

Mick Jagger was on a flight with a GA.

GA had a BOM and Jagger picked it up and began a rant.

Jagger told the entire plane's occupants that Moism is a fraud.

GA had a comeback that made Mick take his seat and be quiet.

Any of you hear this story, too?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 11:05AM

http://chatterbusy.blogspot.com/2012/10/mick-jagger-mormon.html

Sounds like mormons may have added some faith promoting elements to that story.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 11:06AM

I remember this story. The GA was a member of the 12, for some reason Ballard is who popped into my head but I could be wrong about that.

I don't remember the specific details of the encounter as told, but Jagger commented on the church and how it was false and couldn't understand how individuals could live like that.

The GA then said members were happy in their beliefs and chastized Jagger for looking down on other's beliefs, which I find quite ironic.

Mick Jagger is the poster boy for living right on the edge of excess that is the rock-n-roll lifestyle. I find it strange that these two individuals would be on a flight together. Wouldn't Jagger charter a flight? I also doubt Mick Jagger would be chastened by anyone.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 11:06AM

Mormons say it is true.

http://www.holyfetch.com/entertainment/mick_jagger.html

Mos can have the upper hand, on some accounts, in an argument because most people don't know Moism well enough, or care to know it well enough, to show a Mo why it is a scam. They just know it is wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2013 11:48AM by No Mo.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 11:09AM

It has been discussed a few times on the board, the general consensus is that the reported details do not make any sense outside mo'ism.
people dont act that way, outside the imaginations of GA's

I dont mean to be disparaging.... as new people join the board, we will see often see questions about mo urban legends repeated. and I am sure someone can supply more details than me

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 11:25AM

It was Gene Cook of the 70.

Conversation did actually happen, October 30th 1983. I doubt it went the way the faith-promoting stories go, but it did happen.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 11:44AM

I doubt it. Somehow I can't picture Mick flying commercial, with the exception of the Concorde.

Date: January 25, 2013 12:06PM

Richard the Bad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I doubt it. Somehow I can't picture Mick flying
> commercial, with the exception of the Concorde.

Flying first class and commercial was a different world in 1983, shortly after deregulation. First class food was almost always served. China, glass and stemware were used. Airports were not as crowded and neither were flights. Flights ran about 60 percent full instead of the current 85 to 90 percent now. Airlines didn't attract the bus crowd. People dressed better, and most people in first class were businessmen wearing suits. I still see many famous people on flights. My Lufthansa friend just told me yesterday that she spoke with Denzel Washington at the Munich airport.

What is telling is that the lying cultist Cook was in first class when they demand tithing from the poor that can't afford to pay it. They tell the little, old lady on SSI to pay up before she pays her bills and withhold temple priviledges and a trip to Mo heaven when she doesn't so that Cook can ride in comfort with the rock stars and corporate executives.

Stupid cult.

Date: January 25, 2013 12:09PM

The mindless Mos hear only the faith promoting story and don't ask why the GAs ride first class on the members dime.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 12:17PM

Yep, I remember the days. Free Champagne, even in the cheap seats. But I also remember that Led Zepplin had thier own 727.

Date: January 25, 2013 12:29PM

I am sure that, on tour, Mick has his airplane. Look at all the tragic loses of talent due to private air crashes. There was just a crash with Mexican-American star in a Lear in Mexico.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deaths_in_rock_and_roll

Posted by: rgg ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 12:47PM

I worked in the music business for years and most fly commercial and especially in the 1970s and 80s...When on tour they often fly private or have a bus.

Posted by: Lorraine aka síóg ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 12:25PM

It has always struck me as a stupid, self-promoting story of the Paul Dunn type. They may have encountered each other on a flight, but I don't believe what Cook attributes to Jagger.

Anon for this, please provide something substantive to back up your claim that the conversation took place.

Mormons are full of bull shit and lies.

Date: January 25, 2013 02:36PM

I take it back. I don't think the encounter happened at all. I'm reminded that it has been debunked on the grounds that Jagger was in Mexico on the day.

Anyone who claims the conversation took place, I invite to provide evidence to substantiate the claim.

Date: January 25, 2013 02:40PM

Yeah, I remember the Fireside in the home Greg Prince's father in Westwood (Bel-Air adjacent), Los Angeles, in 1970/71 where some 'expert' demonstrated that the entire rock 'n' rock oeuvre was an experiment orchestrated by the Communists to subvert American youth.

I am Absolutely Serious. No Joke. No Hype. That's what they were teaching. Outside of SM, but in church-sponsored forums.

Posted by: Anon again ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 04:02PM

Gene Cook was touring the Veracruz Mexico mission at the time. He flew out of Mexico City to the States on the date previously mentioned.

You can take it or leave it. I've been a firm non-believer for a while now, but Gene Cook and Mick Jagger did actually meet. I have no doubt Cook embellished the story-- he is not a man tolerant of those who differ from him -- but the encounter did happen.

Posted by: The exmo formerly known as Br. Vreeland ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 12:33PM

Of course it doesn't have his entire itinerary and he could have left on a plane to go somewhere that afternoon or evening.

With all the other dishonesty, especially around this type of thing, displayed by the church why would we believe it? Maybe they did sit next to each other, maybe they did engage in some conversation, maybe Mick did tease him about being a Mormon. Maybe the GA put him in his place in front of everyone, maybe Mick just sat there and took it sheepishly. At some point, I think early on, the story gets pretty strange and highly unlikely.

Date: January 25, 2013 03:13PM

Anon for this Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was Gene Cook of the 70.
>
> Conversation did actually happen, October 30th
> 1983. I doubt it went the way the faith-promoting
> stories go, but it did happen.

And we know that this conversation took place on 30 October 1983 because . . . ?

Posted by: The exmo formerly known as Br. Vreeland ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 12:22PM

It was about Jagger sitting on a plane with the prophet in this version. He told the prophet all about how his music was intended to worship the devil and that was the purpose of his entire life blah blah blah...

I didn't believe it at the time and still don't. Who has a conversation like that? I suppose it's somewhat possible that something at the basis of the story did happen but who knows? Anyone ever hear Mick confirm it?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 12:38PM

I think that what's important here is that rock'n'roll is designed to make kids want to have sex.

I always get horny when I hear 'Gimme Shelter'....

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 12:49PM

Posted by: MyTempleNameIsJoan ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 01:09PM

>>It seems that their discussion about God, except for Cook made Jagger also really angry because - according to Cook - Jagger then said loudly, so everyone could hear, that the Book of Mormon was a lie and that anyone who believed in it was a liar.
Cook had the Book of Mormon with him and took it out and placed it in Jagger's lap. Cook told Mick: "You say it is a lie. I must have missed that part. Show me." After that, there was complete silence. Cook then bore his testimony and told Jagger that he was the liar and that if he didn't change his ways, he would be held accountable by the Lord.>>

Too bad Jagger didn't have the below information. He could have opened up the book and debated the problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anachronisms_in_the_Book_of_Mormon

I enjoyed the anachronisms on another thread today and thought it fit in perfectly with this thread.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2013 01:18PM by joan.

Posted by: What is Wanted ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 02:00PM

I just wrote Mick Jagger on Facebook and Twitter asking him about it.

Maybe if he gets several requests he may respond to this story.

https://www.facebook.com/messages/mickjaggerofficial

https://twitter.com/MickJagger

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 02:16PM

I heard this story as well. In the one I heard, the Mick Jagger told the GA that the purpose of his music was to get the youth to have sex.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 03:33PM

Yeah, thats the version I heard as well. Gene Cook sat next to some guy he didn't recognize and started up a conversation with him. The guy (who turned out to be Mick Jagger) just turned to Cook and said, rather haughtily, "Do you know who I am?" Of course, Cook didn't. So Jagger introduced himself. Cook then admitted he had heard of Jagger, but didn't recognize him on sight. He asked Jagger a bit about his music, which seemed rather geared towards evil, from Cook's point of view. Jagger replied, "Our music is calculated to drive kids to sex."

I found a discussion about this on snopes, but they didn't find any evidence one way or the other, although they did confirm that Gene Cook definitely said it. http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=next_topic;f=33;t=001081;go=older

At this point, the only way to prove or disprove it would be to ask Jagger, but, by now, he might not remember the conversation one way or the other.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2013 03:36PM by nickname.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 03:41PM

My guess is it really happened and Jagger said this just to get Cook excited.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 03:47PM

That's the same version I heard.

Posted by: Frederika ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 03:38PM

I heard it straight from Elder Cook's mouth on my mission.

Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 03:47PM

My thoughts

GA's do fly first class and that is the only way he could possibly be sat beside Mick Jagger

I have travelled first class and you don't usually "sit next to" someone unless you agree

I can't imagine Mick flying on his own (no band member, agent, girlfriend, other friend etc.?)

I met Mick very briefly in the 1960s, in 1971 the Rolling Stones moved to France as tax exiles from Britain. In 1972 they did their American Tour. You ask me to believe Elder Cook, a non entity to the likes of Mick Jagger, sat next to him, had a conversation and 'stumped' him with the BoM?

Mick is one smart cookie - he went to a very prestigious university. He can talk business and politics with the best - he would probably regard Cook as a 'hillbilly'. He certainly would not be stumped by Cook.

My guess is Elder Cook is doing a Paul H.Dunn or President Dieter (the hostage negotiator/hero) Uchtdorf. If and it is a big if, he sat next to and conversed with Mick Jagger, then Mick may have been polite and humored him. I doubt it, however, Mick does not suffer fools gladly and he would see Cook as a fool.

Maybe Elder Cook did not deliberately lie but mistook a long haired, expensively attired 30 year old male with Mick Jagger and the guy pulled a joke on him, pretending to be Mick.

It is a true fact that the Church lies and its GAs lie and embellish stories. They live in fantasy land. They are deluded.

So, maybe the encounter is true as Elder Cook recounted, but I think it is highly unbelievable. At the very least it is highly embellished and biased. Most likely it is just not true or a case of mistaken identity (i.e. it wasn't Mick but someone happy to be taken for Mick).

Wake up - a 30 year old rock (strictly speaking rythm and blues) star does not sit on his own next to a plain suited, white shirted
man unless he is a high powered lawyer or accountant, advising him, who would be better dressed than Elder Cook.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 03:49PM

I once spent an inordinate amount of time picking apart this story, detail by detail. I do not have the time nor inclination to do it again. (One reason I wish sometimes we archived threads instead of blasting them away after a couple weeks.) IIRC, someone had posted a link to a talk wherein the GA spouted these lies. I believe my strongest argument that it's all bullshit was because the timeline didn't make sense. Seems like the Stones were in Europe or in the studio or completely unavailable at the time the GA claimed this had happened. There were a lot of other inconsistencies once I started checking facts based on that talk -- probably reprinted in the Ensign or something.

I'm beginning to remember some of the details now. Cook claimed that Jagger was single and at the time, he was married and had four kids. There were some other claims that were easily demonstrated as false, which blew so many holes in the story, it was perforated.

Bottom line: It's complete utter nonsense.

Start with the point of The Rolling Stones in the first place. People like Mick Jagger don't stay in world-famous rock bands for decades with the sole purpose of getting the kids to screw. Mick's in the game to make money, selling records and t-shirts and concert tickets. The Stones give the fans songs they want: songs about drugs, sex, and rock & roll. Mick Jagger doesn't care who has sex or if anyone has sex. What he cares about is making money.

Anything any GA tells you, in writing, in person, or in conference, is purely fabrication designed to make the elite feel like they are still special and are better than everyone else. It's just another faith-promoting rumor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2013 03:54PM by dogzilla.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 04:07PM

defeating the "adversary", and his "servants". They passively preach in GC about everything they want the sheeple to think is evil. To gain credibility, they portray themselves as active dragon slayers on the front lines of an epic war spanning the eternities. They think it makes them look cool, and relevant. I think they look foolish; rock stars do not fit into a stereotypical box labelled "evil".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2013 04:12PM by atheist&happy:-).

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 04:37PM

Threads are archived. I think they cleaned them out a little over a year ago, but you can search on anything in the last year plus.

For example just go to search and put dogzilla as the poster and change the date range to all dates.

Posted by: nealster ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 03:51PM

Even if you had the chance of asking Mick Jagger about this, I doubt very much of he could remember the conversation in any detail. Think about it from his perspective.

Posted by: FormerLatterClimber (not logged in) ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 04:34PM

My favorite part is that the GA got upset when Jagger said the BOM wasn't true, "loud enough for others to hear." Why would he care if others could hear -- he said they would think it was untrue just because they 'heard' it? As if others couldn't think for themselves...guess he's used to that sort of thing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.