Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: doubtisavirtue ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 04:08AM

Is the policy of having one name per day, while telling people to keep theirs a secret, supposed to give the church an air of supernatural power? Given that at the beginning of the endowment people are told if they have forgotten their new name to raise their hand so they can be reminded in private, is that designed to make the temple workers appear to magically "know"?

i.e., someone forgets their temple name, and another temple worker tells them what their new name was, is that supposed to make them think "Wow, how did he know?"

On a similar note, are Mormons usually privy to the fact that everyone is getting the same New Name on a particular day? Or is it usually a shock when they figure this out?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 05:35AM

Temple rituals are designed to make "worthy" members think they're getting something for their tithes and faithfulness. They get to feel special and better than non-temple goers and have a better chance of being loved by god enough to gain salvation. The temple recommend, secret clothes and handshakes and droning rituals are the smoke and mirrors which feed mormon elitism.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 09:35AM

For me, it had been a good number of years before I found that out, and it shocked me. I had no idea that all of the women I knew as I went through for my "special day" also know my new name. That's creepy.

Kimball, one of the posters on this site, has an interesting project going on: http://www.fullerconsideration.com/templenameoracle.php

His theory, which is proving to be true, is that the pattern of new names goes on for years and is not specific to day and month, but only to the day alone. So, anyone being endowed from 1992 until now, on the 1st of any month would be Ruth and Timothy. Just don't try to find anyone in heaven by calling out their new name.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 09:53AM

Doesn't THAT make you love Jesus more?

Posted by: leafonthewind ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 09:58AM

What would happen if your new name also happened to be your real name?

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 10:10AM

Thus demonstrating that the actual new name is unimportant. All that matters is the fact you get one, and you believe it has special meaning, and that you never tell anyone. Welcome to the super special club, sucker.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 10:13AM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 10:15AM

There are so many--but you asking this question brought one to light--my temple name.

I grew up believing it was going to be God's name just for me. It was the thing I looked forward to more than ANYTHING about going to the temple.

There are very few names I completely dislike. When the temple worker said "Lucy"--the earth shifted on its axis--obviously God didn't know me AT ALL. AND when I told my soon to be husband my name through the veil, he said, "WHAT!?!?" Even my TBM daughter snickered when her aunt named their dog Lucy (my daughter was anti-mormon at the time I told her my temple name).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2013 10:15AM by cl2.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.