Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dissonanceresolved ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 09:55PM

beer, wine, Lipton tea and coffee don't taste good. And, apparently, my posterior is too skinny to hold underwear in place. Dang it!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 10:00PM

See, but now you know it's YOUR choice not to drink or wear those things. That is where the power lies.

For me, it took me forever to get up the nerve to try something to drink - not because of what the Mormons said but because my never-mo dad had an alcoholic mother and I was terrified that it would be a slippery slope if I ever had a drink. Guess what? I had a drink and nothing much happened. Granted, that first one was so weak I could barely taste the rum in my rum and Coke. And I sipped it so slowly I probably never even registered a blood alcohol level. But later I realized that although I love rum and Coke, and really like a few other drinks, I really only felt like drinking once in a while. Maybe one drink every few weeks on the weekend. It wasn't a big deal, which was a big surprise.

On the other hand, I did love coffee and tea. Earl Grey is my favorite.

Posted by: carltoro ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 10:02PM

The biggest unanticipated surprise for me is how substantive, important and meaningful the church seemed from the inside and how utterly trivial, silly, empty, and unimportant it seems from the outside.

That and what took me so long?

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 10:09PM

+100!!!

Posted by: Nancy Rigdon ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 10:02PM

I don't like any of those things either - not even for cooking. I think alcohol makes things either too salty or it has a funny aftertaste. I've always been a picky eater.

Sigh. I guess I'm still "TBM" when it comes to the WOW.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 10:07PM

Nancy Rigdon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sigh. I guess I'm still "TBM" when it comes to the
> WOW.

You know what that reminds me of, Nancy? How for the longest time, I needed my caffeine cold. Iced tea, iced coffee, frappuccinos etc. I guess all those years of 32 oz Dr. Pepper Big Gulps made me forever associate caffeine and cold. I felt like I was still TBM when it came to the temperature of my stimulant drink. :)

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 10:24PM

So drinks that aren't sweet can be a shock.

When I visit my TBM relatives, I'm surprised at how much juice they drink. Two or three glasses with meals, several glasses between meals.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 10:38PM

That's why so many mormons become dentists. Built in business with all that coke, and juice.

Posted by: Joycee ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 10:47PM

It's a shock when one tries wine for the first time and it DOES NOT taste like grape juice, lol. I can't even drink the non alchoholic sparkling grape juice anymore because it is just too sickly sweet. Wine's better for me anyway I suppose. ;)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.