Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 03:32PM

NOT!

I just got this email, and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a sharp pencil than go to either of these. I'm betting someone in leadership has an essential oil MLM business. Gag!!

I guess I can feel lucky that I have no idea what the Come Unto Christ program is. Freedom feels awesome!!

<<<<<Dear sisters,
A Relief Society activity is tonight at 7pm at the church. We will be learning about amazing essential oils that have many health uses and get some beauty tips as well.

Also, just a heads up that in May we will be having an activity where we will discuss experiences we have had while working on the Come unto Christ program, so hopefully we're all working on it. If it seems overwhelming, just look at it a little more closely. It is simply doing the things we need to be doing already.>>>>>

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 03:34PM

I smell an MLM. Oh, no, wait. It's just essential oils.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 03:35PM

I think you'd best hold off on resigning until after May. That cum unto Christ thing looks especially interesting.

Date: January 24, 2013 03:44PM

Do you think it might be about the latest approved sex positions?

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 03:46PM

LOL!

Date: January 24, 2013 03:50PM

Probably!

I bet they would especially appreciate the edifying and enlightenment they would receive if you brought along the approved missionary positions:
http://mormonmissionarypositions.com/

Posted by: skippyrabbit ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 04:32PM

omfg I can't stop laughing

Date: January 24, 2013 04:33PM

We could get the high priests to demonstrate.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 03:49PM

That does sound like an MLM sales presentation. Does that sort of thing happen a lot at RS activities these days? Doesn't the Church try to crack down on that sort of thing?

Date: January 24, 2013 03:51PM

That's what I thought, too. I'm not curious enough to find out. A while back, one of the gals in our ward who has some kooky health beliefs was presenting. I've already heard her theories, and asked her for scientific studies regarding them, to no avail. I had NO desire to sit through an hour of unfounded theories.

Date: January 24, 2013 03:52PM

Because yeah, if you wanted that you could go to sacrament meeting - and hey, free bread!

Posted by: Lily not logged in ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 10:58PM

...I use essential oils in my home and I love them.

We only use vinegar to clean with, and I'm actually contemplating making my own laundry detergent from a link I found on pinterest...

But essential oils add lovely fragrance to our home, laundry, etc. I don't think they are magical or anything, but I love them. I have a lot of allergies, both scents and contact allergies, so I have been using fragrance free products for a long time. Not only that, but one of my best friends has her PhD in chemical engineering, and she wouldn't allow things like Glade or Downy in her home for anything. They just aren't good for us.

With all that being said, there's really nothing you can't learn about essential oils in a 10 minute google search, so the RS activity does sound like it would suck balls.

Date: January 25, 2013 01:21AM

I'm not against essential oils at all, but the MLM ones are so expensive. I make my own laundry soap and I have for over a year. It runs me about $10/year!!

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 11:16AM

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 12:31PM

There are a million recipes out there. I really like this site. This link is for a dry laundry soap. If you run a search on this site, there is a "cook" and "no cook" recipe for liquid laundry soap. And a million other DIY recipes and ideas.

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/08/make-a-years-worth-of-laundry-soap.html#more-1306

Posted by: crafty ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 06:10PM

A stay-at-home dad in my ward just starting selling essential oils. He spent 3 days in......yes, Utah, where the business is based. My bet, someone from that co. in your ward volunteered to share her wonderful discoveries of oil. And in case you too, want the wonderful quality of life they bring, she conveniently can supply you.

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 10:47PM

Over at Babycenter LDS Families, one poster was just asking, "Essential oils or flu shot, which will keep my kids healthier?"

Idiot.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 06:19PM

On facebook a relative of mine mentions using those oils and how they improve her life. They help her sleep, they helped her dog heal from surgery, blah, blah, blah. I roll my eyes because I thought she was smarter than that. They also don't seem to have kept her two adorable children from getting some really weird diseases. Kids are fine now, but they have gotten some things I'd never heard of before.

When people start preaching on and on about how wonderful things like that are, I start seeing red flags. My Dad used to be into some kind of vitamin drink that sounded like an MLM thing, too. The stuff certainly wasn't making him feel better and at one point his doctor told him to quit using it.

Posted by: daydream ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 06:20PM

I just got an email from RS. Here's what I'll be missing this weekend:

"Subject: exciting news for Saturday!

Hello my dear sisters,

Hey, the Relief Society has been asked to clean our beautiful chapel this Saturday morning. I know we have a ward activity at 10 and this would make for a very busy morning. We would start at 8am and hopefully be done by 9:30, depending on how many sisters we have. The Relief Society was in charge of cleaning a few months ago, and we really had a good time. It is fun to serve with sisters and a great way to get to know some sisters that you wouldn't have normally crossed paths with.

So please come and serve the Lord by cleaning His building. I would rather not have to do this alone. This is a great way to get your kids to do a service project too! I'll be bringing my boys to help.

So let me know if you are able to come so I'm not panicking Sat am!

Thanks Ladies!"

All the righteous cleaning fun I'm missing out on!

Date: January 24, 2013 06:23PM

You poor thing! No blessings for you.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 07:47PM

Sisters are expected to be barefoot and pregnant when they show up for Saturday morning (eight am!) scrubbing.

Please don't make me do it alone again,
--Your Relief from Society President

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 10:54PM

It's Tom Sawyer again.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 11:00PM

women and kids, clean for free! It's fun! Where pray tell are the men?

Posted by: procrusteanchurch ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 06:28PM

My wife is responsible for organizing RS activities. She doesn't like putting them together, and it doesn't sound like many people like to attend. In sum, a couple people get callings where they fell obligated to organize activities they don't enjoy so that others feel obligated to attend activities they don't enjoy. I suggested canceling RS activities so everyone would be happier, but my suggestion wasn't received very well.

Date: January 24, 2013 06:31PM

Sounds like a great plan!

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 06:33PM

Back in the day, like a long time ago, they had daytime relief society and it seemed like they did a lot of fun things. Crafts, lunch, etc. Women started working and church moved to three hour blocks so I guess that's why that kind of thing went away. I can imagine that no one wants to go to relief society on a week night after they've been at work all day and have children and other things to attend to.

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 08:18PM

Nice try.
But most active Mormons need Saturdays to take care of their own places or do fun stuff with their own families.

Cleaning a building at 8 am is no one's idea of a great weekend.

Imagine husbands commuting to work every weekday and then getting their Saturdays ruined too by wifey jumping out of bed early instead of cuddling.

Well, I wouldn't do it even if we were active.

Posted by: notyersister ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 08:18PM

Yeah, it made more sense back in the day. Just another case of the "brethren" being out of step with the times.

I remember two friends and I planned a "mini" class for R.S. We taught them car maintenance..how to clean the battery posts, jump start a car, change the oil, and change a tire. We adjourned to the church parking lot to give them hands-on practice.

Oh, the raised eyebrows! Kathy and Cindy, if you ever see this, I want you to know that was one R.S. class I won't forget.

Posted by: Joycee ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 11:06PM

Now that's an RS activity I could get on board with. I would love to learn how to take better care of my car!

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 10:38AM

GIRLS aren't 'sposed to fix cars! They are supposed to look helpless, wring their hands and maybe twist their ruffled apron a bit, and then toss their curls and stamp their little foot in a dainty way and ask the big strong superior man to do it!

Fixing cars is UNFEMININE! Helen Andelin said so! After all, you DO want to be FASCINATING,don't you?

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 11:25AM

Ew. I 'bout barfed after writing that. Even as a joke it's nauseating.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 12:11AM

"Hey Tommy, maybe we can get the sheeple to give us 11%. Easy to do on a calculator these days. After all, we got em to wash the turdy toilets".

Posted by: icedlatte ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 12:46PM

I was in a ward once where we actual did some fun activities. The problem was that they had them all during the day on weekdays, with no nursery provided and they always made sure to put "no kids allowed" on the flyers. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense when most of the sisters had little kids at home.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.