Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 09:52PM

for me ... loud laughter

Even all my TBM fam hammers on this one ;D

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 09:53PM

Yep. Of course we just rationalized this by defining loud laughter very loosely.

Posted by: albertasaurus ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 10:38PM

Don't forget giving everything you have to the building up of the kingdom of god

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 11:51PM

Law of obedience...

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 05:08PM

hello Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Law of obedience...

Actually, I meant this comment to apply to church members at large, not just to myself.

I was reasonably obedient, but I doubt very much if anyone can live this covenant fully.

As for myself, I did find fault with leaders often When they were mean, crooked or just bloody-minded), so that was prolly my personal big covenant-break.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 12:39AM

Never wore our g's at night, even when we were trying to be "worthy" and toe the line. The church had no place in our bedroom. I hope many others are the same way.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 02:14AM

+1

Date: January 24, 2013 02:06AM

these days I don't care much for speaking good of those anointed ones, baring tom of course!

Posted by: doubtisavirtue ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 02:16AM

Haha, I was just thinking about this today. Was talking to an RM acquaintance and he totally burst out laughing, and I couldn't help but think "You made a covenant not to do that."

My guess is with some people it didn't even sink in, given how boring and repetitive the ceremony is, and they didn't even realize what they'd promised to. Or maybe it's just that even they see how ridiculous it is and pay it no mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2013 02:16AM by doubtisavirtue.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 04:45AM

We had boarded the bus on a Friday evening at the end of a long work week. We traveled all night, arriving at the temple at sunrise. It wasn't like you could kick back and sleep on the bus. So I was already tired and the fun hadn't even started yet.

There was a long wait in an antechamber while somebody spouted some tiresome stuff that nearly put me to sleep. Then we saw the movie, and I alternated between boredom and occasional fits of suppressed giggles.

I don't remember if all the fussing with the outfit came before or after the "covenants," but I wasn't really paying attention. I had been told by one of the mishies who taught me that there is a quiz at the end of the session and that they wouldn't let you out unless you got a perfect score on that, so I was starting to wonder how that would work out.

I was already way overtired and seriously underwhelmed at what had transpired thus far, so I probably would have agreed to just about anything, as long as they would let me out.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 02:16AM

They break light mindedness in GC because they tell jokes. That always stuck out to me.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 10:32AM

You call those jokes? :-)

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 06:05PM

I didn't say they were funny, I'm sure the people in the conference center laugh because of the light-up "laughter" signs. After all, one must not be rude to the prophets, right?

Posted by: Cinnamint ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 08:34PM

When the profit jokes, the laughter must be done.

Date: January 24, 2013 12:41PM

didn't you hear, quiet shoulder shaking giggles are just fine. ;D

Date: January 24, 2013 07:54PM

Jokes in GC are like food to a starving man, no matter how crappy it is it tastes so good be cause you never get any

Posted by: gladtobeme ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 09:05AM

Wait, no loud laughter in your life in general??! I thought that was just while you were in the temple!

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 09:51AM

Just in case, there is the general rule to "Keep every commandment". Hence, did you keep "every" one even a day? It struck me as important that it was Satan who said we had to keep them or we were his. Satan lies.

I got angry and yelled within an hour. Oops. I had my fingers crossed.

Posted by: Zarathustra ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 11:59AM

The most commonly violated temple covenant?

Are you honest in your dealings with your fellow man?

How many bishops, stake presidents, and general authorities abide by this precept?

Date: January 24, 2013 12:54PM

ok so here is an interesting story. we have the big boss (mine, TBM, prob had the sec anointing, ties into the church corp, started big business, etc etc)

one of his other employees is councilor in the SP in my steak.

both of these men eventually are mish pres too. But this happened before they went out.

so we both work for the same company and the same big boss.

I go into my temple interview years ago with the fellow employee SPC, he asks the honest in your dealings question, I say yes, he says are you sure? you do work at ... then laughs a bit. I giggle too. but leave the interview just a little uneasy.

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 12:21PM

When I read you're subject I also right away thought
Loud Laughter ;-)

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 12:43PM

The unspecified "every other unholy and impure practice" line will get you every time.

It's so typical. Oh, just in case you were doing ok on what we listed off, there's always something else you should feel guilty about.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 12:49PM

I always felt guilty about not following the law of consecration. Stupidest reason for guilt EVER.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 05:57PM

You should have crossed your fingers. Besides, remember Homer Simpson and the picture he signed to Marge.

Posted by: True Believer ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 08:25PM

Every-one is entitled to their opinion, that's a given. However, each one of you entered the temple for the first time with the knowledge that it was holy and sacred place. If you feel it was a mistake, that's fine, live with it, but please don't mock it........you entered of your own free will.

Date: September 08, 2014 08:39PM

Free will, really? Can it be free will when crucial information/wrong information is feed to that person for years, decades? Yes, I chose to go...because I was misled and manipulated.

Date: September 08, 2014 08:40PM

You are in the wroooooong forum if you don't want your holy temple mocked.

Date: September 08, 2014 08:43PM

I had no such "knowledge" that it was a holy and sacred place. And neither did anyone else. We had only belief that it was.

Date: September 08, 2014 09:06PM

Are you a troll? Why resurrect a thread that's over a year and a half old?

Posted by: brucermalarky ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 09:21PM

I totally mocked it at our tailgate last week when I made people learn a special handshake in order to get in and get drinks. The handshake was one of the temple ones. Can't remember which one although it does have a name.

Date: September 08, 2014 09:25PM

Oh my hell! I don't think I could do that if the party was attended by TBMs...come to think of it, I have never revealed the shakes at all! Two days after my endowment session, I had a nightmare that I revealed one. It scared the hell out of me at the time.

Posted by: brucermalarky ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 09:39PM

Once I figured out that it was all a stupid made up ritual JS made up to hide his polygamy BS I decided it was best to make a joke of it.

It's either that or cry about all the stupid hours I wasted in the lords house and the years I wore those stupid underwear.

My new names Levi BTW.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 03:12PM

business--I think I heard it, but thought, "WTF?"

I didn't go back regularly. I was going to be one of those who went all the time--I went 4 or 5 times. I hated it. Of course, it was satan keeping me from doing the lord's work. I really struggled with that one. I truly hated going to the temple--so I stopped going.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 03:55PM

The law of chastity. Mrs. Palmer and her five friends can be a real handful sometimes.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.