Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 03:42PM

And that's because Mordecai was born in the US and not in Mumbai, where, as a Hindu, Mordecai may also have a creationist view, but because his Hindu mythological scriptures do not detail a "six days" motif, he would have accepted a multi-billion year time line for his god to create the world (or accept evolutionary theories) as a majority of Hindus do.

Do your conclusions rest more likely, Mordecai, on your incredulity that scientific theories explain biological existence, or on the cultural framework you were born into and accept as fact?

How many people in Kathmandu or Lhasa or Bora Bora have the spirit tell them to become mormons?

What is even more lucky for you Mordecai is that you were not born in a few unfortunate enclaves of California as a Scientologist, in which case you would believe this without apology about the how the earth and people were created:

"Once upon a time Xenu was the ruler of a Galactic Confederacy 75 million years ago, which consisted of 26 stars and 76 planets including Earth, which was then known as "Teegeeack". The planets were overpopulated, containing an average population of 178 billion. The Galactic Confederacy's civilization was comparable to our own, with aliens "walking around in clothes which looked very remarkably like the clothes they wear this very minute" and using cars, trains and boats looking exactly the same as those "circa 1950, 1960" on Earth.

Xenu was about to be deposed from power, so he devised a plot to eliminate the excess population from his dominions. With the assistance of psychiatrists, he gathered billions of his citizens under the pretense of income tax inspections, then paralyzed them and froze them in a mixture of alcohol and glycol to capture their souls. The kidnapped populace was loaded into spacecraft for transport to the site of extermination, the planet of Teegeeack (Earth). The appearance of these spacecraft would later be subconsciously expressed in the design of the Douglas DC-8, the only difference being that "the DC8 had fans, propellers on it and the space plane didn't". When they had reached Teegeeack, the paralyzed citizens were unloaded around the bases of volcanoes across the planet. Hydrogen bombs were then lowered into the volcanoes and detonated simultaneously, killing all but a few aliens.

Simultaneously, the planted charges erupted. Atomic blasts ballooned from the craters of Loa, Vesuvius, Shasta, Washington, Fujiyama, Etna, and many, many others. Arching higher and higher, up and outwards, towering clouds mushroomed, shot through with flashes of flame, waste and fission. Great winds raced tumultuously across the face of Earth, spreading tales of destruction.

The now-disembodied victims' souls, which are called "thetans," were blown into the air by the blast. They were captured by Xenu's forces using an "electronic ribbon" ("which also was a type of standing wave") and sucked into "vacuum zones" around the world. The hundreds of billions of captured thetans were taken to a type of cinema, where they were forced to watch a "three-D, super colossal motion picture" for thirty-six days. This implanted what are termed "various misleading data"' (collectively termed the R6 implant) into the memories of the hapless thetans, "which has to do with God, the Devil, space opera, et cetera". This included all world religions; Hubbard specifically attributed Roman Catholicism and the image of the Crucifixion to the influence of Xenu. The two "implant stations" cited by Hubbard were said to have been located on Hawaii and Las Palmas in the Canary Islands.

In addition to implanting new beliefs in the thetans, the images deprived them of their sense of personal identity. When the thetans left the projection areas, they started to cluster together in groups of a few thousand, having lost the ability to differentiate between each other. Each cluster of thetans gathered into one of the few remaining bodies that survived the explosion. These became what are known as body thetans, which are said to be still clinging to and adversely affecting everyone except Scientologists who have performed the necessary steps to remove them." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenu)

What evidence can you show that Scientologists are not correct?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: greekgod ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 03:45PM

I have yet to get a clear understand of just what Mordecai believes. I think it's essential to understanding his/her position. He obviously believes supernatural phenomenon is something science "refuses to accept" and insists that its there, despite the fact that its not "evidence-based".

Perhaps he should spend some time reading the works of Karl Popper.

Posted by: citizen not logged in ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 03:49PM

Well played, sir.

On an indirectly related note, I weary of the phrase "belief" when it is used with evolution. I don't believe in evolution. I don't have to... There is plenty of evidence to illustrate its influence.

There is a distinct lack of real and convincing evidence for the "God Hypothesis", so those who continue to promulgate it must couch their convictions as "belief." When you can bring evidence to the table, belief will be displaced, there will not longer be a need for it.

Feel free to continue to "believe" in intelligent design or what have you. But focus on the evidence.

And by the way, the intelligent designer's origins are salient to the argument, so don't dodge that question. Where did he/she/it come from?

Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 03:55PM

Well I am not trying to defend any side BUT I do know that the argument is he/she/it has always been there and has no beginning or end. Well maybe that's not Modecai's stand-point. That's just the one I am most familiar with so I figure it's the most likely one. That's all I have to say on the subject.

If anyone has any comments about it feel free to reply but I'm not trying to say any one way is right so I won't argue with whatever anyone has to say. Don't worry.

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 04:24PM

Wow, I thought the Lemurians were cool... They only have one volcano.. The Scientologists have lots...

http://www.lemurianconnection.com/category/about-mt-shasta/

However, I find the likelihood that morg, scientologists or Lemurians are real as about the same...

If anything is 'true' it is definitely the Lemurians...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2013 04:26PM by John_Lyle.

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 01:07AM

I seriously got to start my own religion, wow!

Date: January 24, 2013 01:28AM

+10000! Haha

Btw, did you make this up rodolfo? It's pretty fantastic!

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 12:12PM

If you are asking if I made up the Lemurrians...

I didn't.

Lemurians are a fringe part of an "I AM" ascended masters cult in Mt. Shasta/Dunsmuir, CA. The main 'cult' is based in IL.

Temple pictures:

http://www.lcrawfords-manymansions.com/ascended%20master%20instruction/Mount%20Shasta/mount_shasta.htm

My girlfriend in grad school was a geology major and she had this slightly 'off' friend who went on and on about Lemurians almost all the time. She was a crack up...

Date: January 25, 2013 01:56PM

Wow...that's really interesting haha

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 12:26PM

If you are referring to Scientology doctrine, nope, all true! See here: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenu)

It was seeing totally committed, believing Scientologists with "testimonies" of thetans running around inhabiting people's bodies, that contributed to my examining why I should accept my own testimony of mormonism in the absence of any reasonable evidence.

I show this "doctrine" to mormons as often as I can and observe that Scientologists look at mormons and think, "stupid, cult idiots, why can't they see that their religion is ridiculous."

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 12:37PM

Great points, Rodolfo.

In fact, it's just fortune that most of us have the capacity and free time to even think about these things at all. Historically, on average, humans have not had the capacity or time to do much of any thinking on philosophy and so are at the mercy of those who can. Modern times are changing this.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 02:45PM

Studies show that hunter-gatherer peoples expend(ed) ~15% of their time working (hunting, gathering, building shelters, gathering water, firewood,etc). The remaining 85% is(was) theirs to do with as they please.

Agriculture led to a much more demanding lifestyle. Skeletal remains show that agriculture resulted in more skeletal stress, malnutrition and disease. But even then, at least in the temperate zone, you pretty much sat around all winter.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.