Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 02:17PM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsfaithblog/55685384-180/bishop-carrier-dame-lennay.html.csp

Hasn't this occurred to anyone or do I need to get out more?

Anagrammy

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 02:27PM

good point!

Posted by: ironmann ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 02:29PM

Funny you should mention this. Intitially a couple of us thought he was gay...not that there's anything wrong with that."

Posted by: Brainfrees ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 02:31PM

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 02:31PM

What a shitty bishop. Not only is he obviously not inspired; he doesn't keep confidentiality.

Anyway, the gay coverup doesn't work for me--at least not the one where he was in on it with Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, because they killed her off. They could have gotten a real girl to play the online girlfriend.

Which is not to say Manti didn't maybe play along knowing it was a scam or go for the online girlfriend believing she was real, because he's gay and it was convenient.

I can't imagine why the bishop would blab that he wasn't following Mormon standards. What does that have to do with anything?

And who invites his online girlfriend to talk with his bishop on the phone? Who even spends that much time with his bishop? That to me is the weirdest part of this story yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2013 02:36PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 02:50PM

The LDS Church's image is always #1 priority. The bishop is attempting to make sure that Manti's fiasco isn't reflecting on the one and true church.

Date: January 23, 2013 04:02PM

Needs ass kicked!

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 04:58PM

munchybotaz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Needs ass kicked!

yes...

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 03:16PM

nobody has claimed that the people involved were smart.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 10:08PM

Maybe Teo is humping the bishop.

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 10:26PM

"And who invites his online girlfriend to talk with his bishop on the phone? Who even spends that much time with his bishop? That to me is the weirdest part of this story yet."

After seeing the picture of that Bishop, I now wonder if he is gay. Why would someone who is a family man...and running a congregation, spend so much time with one person...like he was Manti's personal bishop.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 02:37PM

What's hard, though, is to find a willing LDS girl at Notre Dame or in the greater South Bend area.

It could also be than Manti wanted to remain chaste and it was easier to keep the football groupies away if he told them he had a girlfriend. A tragically ill one.

On the other hand, the girlfriend story might have attracted MORE booty. And he could have said, "You can't talk about us screwing, because it might get back to my tragically ill girlfriend (or the bishop)."

But I'm still in the gullible/delusional camp on this.

Date: January 23, 2013 10:18PM

"It could also be than Manti wanted to remain chaste and it was easier to keep the football groupies away if he told them he had a girlfriend. A tragically ill one."

This seems far fetched to me but I'll let you ex mormons educate me so answer me this...

As a mormon, you go off to college, are popular/star athlete, and the girls really like you. Can any ex mo tell me (if your a guy who likes girls)...that even at your most TBM'ish, that you would want or could even "remain chaste"??

No add to that...a C-A-T-H-O-L-I-C school...far from your mormon bubble...with able and willing catholic girls.

Like I said, I'll let the ex mos here educate. If I am wrong, I can accept that.

I agree with others with Manti's spirtual...LEADER mouthing off about Manti's "standards". What an unprincipled douche.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2013 10:19PM by nonmo.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 03:29PM

Topping...curious if any ex Mo's could have, under these/Manti's circumstances, been able to NOT hook up with some catholic girls?

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 02:54PM

He certainly wouldn't be the first college student to "cover up the ghey" by loudly proclaiming he was in a long-distance relationship.

He's obviously in on it because he has lied about every bit of it and contradicted his own statements.

Date: January 23, 2013 10:23PM

I read a timeline of this relationship and the tweets. There's one post/tweet where...in 2009, Manti was asking if this girl Lennay was real. If this is the case...he then later gets into this serious relationship with this online persona and falls in love...without every really seeing her, skyping her, BS'ing people that he met her.

In the real world if someone was duped this way (catfished) and went to Hawaii or some other place to meet his girlfriend, and she didn't show...then a NORMAL person would come up with a story of them breaking up...not her getting in a car accident...AND then getting cancer...

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 02:57PM

name one pro athlete that isn't banging anything and everything within sight. If he isn't gay, I'm pretty sure he was still pounding everything he could. Perhaps the fake girlfriend was his molly-mo backup? I find it very likely that he was completely duped but even if he thought she was real I doubt she was his #1. It's like the RM that was stabbed to death in AZ. He had his "ho's" and the molly mo's he kept around for when it was time to marry in the temple. Dude just needs to find a new (and real) molly mo to marry now. As soon as he does he will be out of the news and being mentioned in GC as another shiny, clean example.

Date: January 23, 2013 03:14PM

http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/notredame/football/sbt-notre-dame-football-bishop-adds-his-perspective-to-teos-saga-20130121,0,7724371.story?page=1

If he was my bishop, I'd be really mad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2013 03:14PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 03:19PM

And this is why nobody should ever,ever,ever tell a bishop anything personal about yourself. The next thing you know, it could be front page news.

Date: January 23, 2013 10:29PM

Form that article:
"And, as one of the former Notre Dame football star's closest confidantes over the past nine months, Carrier wanted to come forward Monday with what he knew about Te'o's relationship with a woman who claimed to be Lennay Kekua."

HE wanted to come forward??? This doesn't concern him. If Manti ok'ed this, then word it that way. But if bishops are discerning...then they are only discerning with mormons, because everyone else who may have known about Manti's girlfriend, would have discerned that she didn't exist.

Posted by: rgg ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 03:30PM

There were several threads last week about this and most thought he's gay and hiding it.

Posted by: Scooter in San Diego ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 03:41PM

I'm not saying he's gay. But if he is, then it all makes a lot of sense.

Posted by: Takafumi ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 05:40PM

A popular gay-related-news blog speculated on this several days ago... resulting in a fair amount of controversy among the posters.

http://www.towleroad.com/2013/01/gay-rumor-mill-ramping-up-over-manti-teos-dead-girlfriend.html

So, no, you're not the only one wondering.

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 06:09PM

It doesn't make sense to me that Te'o, who must have handlers–either in the morg or church or rome or both–would choose something this complicated.

Then, if he did, why kill her off?

Wouldn't it have been easier to just find some local girl and pay her off? Or, even better, just string her along until Te'o goes pro?

No fuss, no muss, no drama...

If there are gay lovers out there, it seems like this drama BS would tend to bring them more to the front...

I don't think Te'o being gay is the reason. Just run of the mill morg idiocy...

It is funny that, even if they weren't involved, the morg have to go to great lengths to support the story they thinks makes them look the least like the total idiots they are....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2013 06:12PM by John_Lyle.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 06:16PM

You're probably right, but a gay Mormon going to a Catholic school might also be desperate enough to jump on an imaginary girlfriend to cover for the fact that he is conflicted.

If he is gay I hope he finds his way out. I wouldn't want to be in his situation.

Date: January 23, 2013 08:02PM

jacob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wouldn't want to be in his situation.

Really? He'll still get his multimillion-dollar contract and the glamorous life that goes with being in the NFL. As for the embarrassment, he's making it worse being a hidey baby dowannatalkaboutit. He could have gotten out in front of the story and turned it completely around with a bit of humor and self-deprecation. Hope he enjoys being a gay sports icon!

The situation I wouldn't want to be in is that of Ronaiah Tuiasosopo.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2013 08:05PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: Scooter in San Diego ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 08:08PM

trading in the draft is already buying a pig in a poke.

now you're thinking of trading or drafting for a pig in a poke that has serious mental baggage, before he's proven himself in one game in the NFL.

Sounds like you're playing with other people's money.

Date: January 23, 2013 08:22PM

Bet he still gets a good job, though, if he stops shooting himself in the foot and it doesn't come out that he did more than "briefly lie" in December. Provided he does well in the Combine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2013 09:13PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: lame ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 08:58PM

don't blame the victim. Shame on you.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 09:30PM

In other words, not because he was gullible but because the scam tapped into his happy la-la make believe feelings (a.k.a. the well of gullibility).

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 09:32PM

What else could his "deepest spiritual feelings" be wrong about?

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 12:03AM

Nailed it Mutt...

So according to bishop, Te'o is merely a victim of a "too big heart".

This from a guy who, in his interview published today, admitted that he knew Te'o was only partially active, and not keeping all the commandments. He even "suspected" Te'o had possibly fathered a child, when Manti told him he had messed up!

But when this bishop, who could not be bothered to minister to a man he suspected had a morality problem, tells us he knows Manti's heart and life, we are supposed to believe his words without question?

First rule of priesthood authority: always maintain the facade of divine authority!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2013 12:04AM by hello.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.