Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: January 22, 2013 11:26AM

I have a personal need to compile a list of sexist quotes/teachings by the church leaders. The more recent the leader, the better.

For example, I have the following two right off the top of my head:

Elaine S Dalton, Jan 15, 2013
"Young women you will be the ones who will provide the example of virtuous womanhood and motherhood. ... You will understand your roles and your responsibilities and thus will see no need to lobby for rights."

Gordon B. Hinckley, closing remarks, April 2007 GC
"Husbands, love and treasure your wives. They are your most precious possessions."

Thanks for any input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: citizen not logged in ( )
Date: January 22, 2013 11:31AM

None come to mind just yet, but this is a great topic. There are many in the JoD as I recall (BY's remarks about polygamy as a substitute for Europe's rampant prostitution etc.).

Date: January 22, 2013 12:22PM

I found a topic on this in the archives.

http://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon553.htm

The quotes are older, so if anyone has more recent ones, much appreciated.

Add:

Gordon B Hinckley, October 2006 Priesthood Session:
"...young women are exceeding young men in pursuing educational programs. And so I say to you young men, rise up and discipline yourself to take advantage of educational opportunities. Do you wish to marry a girl whose education has been far superior to your own?"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2013 12:28PM by Jesus Smith.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: January 22, 2013 05:34PM

Jesus Smith Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Gordon B Hinckley, October 2006 Priesthood
> Session:
> Do you
> wish to marry a girl whose education has been far
> superior to your own?"

Yes, Gordo. Next question, you disgusting, lying bigoted phony.

Posted by: Honeybeelh7 ( )
Date: September 28, 2015 04:42PM

Husbands, love your wives and they will submit. Women were made to submit. Joseph Prince(otherwise a great bible teacher)

Date: January 22, 2013 03:50PM

I found some great ones.

SWK:
"Too many mothers work away from home to furnish sweaters and music lessons and trips and fun for their children. Too many women spend their time in socializing, in politicking, in public services when they should be home to teach and train and receive and love their children into security" (Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, p. 319).

"[Women], you are to become a career woman in the greatest career on earth--that of homemaker, wife, and mother. It was never intended by the Lord that married women should compete with men in employment. They have a far greater and more important service to render." (Ensign, June 1975, & From Faith Precedes the Miracle)

"Numerous divorces can be traced directly to the day when the wife left the home and went out into the world into employment. Two incomes raise the standard of living beyond its norm. Two spouses working prevent the complete and proper home life, break into the family prayers, create an independence which is not cooperative, causes distortion, limits the family, and frustrates the children already born" (Spencer W. Kimball, San Antonio Fireside, Dec. 3, 1977, pp. 9-10 ).

ETB:
" In the beginning, Adam--not Eve--was instructed to earn the bread by the sweat of his brow. Contrary to conventional wisdom, a mother's calling is in the home, not in the market place."
(Ezra Taft Benson, To the Mothers in Zion, 1987)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2013 03:54PM by Jesus Smith.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: January 22, 2013 04:21PM

This is what I was taught, thus putting an end to any career ambitions I might have developed.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: January 22, 2013 04:58PM

“A married woman’s place is in the home, where she sustains and supports her husband; a woman’s place is in the Church, where she expounds scripture, writes wise documents, and learns much; a woman’s place is out rendering compassionate service to her fellow beings, in and out of the Church; a woman’s place is in preaching the gospel and doing missionary work; her calling is to do good and work righteousness in every place and under all circumstances.” (Bruce R. McConkie, Our Sisters from the Beginning, Ensign, Jan 1979)

Being submissive is noble!:

“Each of you should be grateful to be a woman! To be a righteous woman is a glorious thing in any age. To be a righteous woman during the winding up scenes on this earth, before the second coming of our Savior, is an especially noble calling. The righteous woman’s strength and influence today can be tenfold what it might be in more tranquil times. She has been placed here to help, to enrich, to protect, and to guard the home—which is society’s basic and most noble institution. Other institutions in society may falter and even fail, but the righteous woman can help to save the home, which may be the last and only sanctuary some mortals know in the midst of storm and strife. ” (Pres. Spencer W. Kimball, Privileges and Responsibilities of Sisters, New Era, Jan 1979)

Being a leader is not being favored. Submission is a woman's sacred place:

“There are those who suggest that males are favored of the Lord because they are ordained to hold the priesthood. Anyone who believes this does not understand the great plan of happiness. The premortal and mortal natures of men and women were specified by God Himself, and it is simply not within His character to diminish the roles and responsibilities of any of His children.” (M. Russell Ballard, Women of Righteousness, Ensign, Apr 2002)

Apostle Ballard to women-Don't even think of wearing pants:

We don’t need women who want to be like men…dress like men…act like men. We do need women who…have a spiritual confirmation of their identity, their value, and their eternal destiny. Above all, we need women who will stand up for truth and righteousness and decry evil at every turn.” (M. Russell Ballard, Women of Righteousness, Ensign, Apr 2002)

Obedience to whom:

“As sisters in Relief Society we are to assist one another preparing for the day the bridegroom returns. By actively taking part in the Relief Society organization, our lamps will be full. Our faith will remain strong…Many times we think just being a member of the Church will entitle us to all the Lord has promised. But each blessing requires obedience.” (Mary Ellen Smoot, Come, Let Us Walk in the Light of the Lord, Ensign, Nov 1998)

Helpmate to the Priesthood (men):

“The place of importance that was assigned to the women’s Relief Society is really analogous to the place of mother in the home. The sacred and responsible status in each case was established by the Lord himself. In both callings women are to stand side by side with the men who hold the Priesthood. Even as a wife is a helpmate in the home, so the Relief Society, being an extension of the home, is a helpmate to the Priesthood.” (Hugh B. Brown, Relief Society-An Extension of the Home, Relief Society Magazine, Dec 1961))

Highest reward to women in Moism (giving birth):

“To be a mother in Israel in the full gospel sense is the highest reward that can come into the life of a woman."

(Pres. Joseph Fielding Smith, Mothers in Israel, Relief Society Magazine, Dec 1970)

Kitchen councils (because of course that is where a woman belongs):

“There is certainly a place for formal teaching in our homes with our families. There is also a power in informal teaching that goes on in families. Informal councils involve parents and children to bless families and strengthen individuals. I like to call them “kitchen councils”. The mother went to the kitchen to prepare dinner, and her daughters joined her. They stood side by side peeling and chopping, talking and coordinating activities. They were counseling together! Second, in ward or stake councils, besides representing your organization, you also represent your own point of view. Women who attend these council meetings can be the family filter, which would certainly include being a defender and a protector of the family. When activites are discussed, a woman can voice her perspective on how an activity will affect the family.” (Sis. Margaret D. Nadauld, Past Young Women President, The Joy of Womanhood, Nov 2000)

Men get the priesthood, women get the babies (unless you are Sherry Dew and then you get a cushy job at Dewseret Book):

“Here is the truth about womanhood. Our Father gave His daughters a divine endowment of gifts that give us unique influence. First and foremost, we have the high privilege of bearing children…No wonder our Father placed us at the heart of the family and thus at the center of the plan of salvation. We are the Lord’s secret weapon…The world won’t tell us this stunning truth, but the Spirit will…It is time for us to wake up to the potential magnitude of our full influence as latter-day women of God and then to arise and do what we were sent here to do.” (Sheri Dew, May 1, 2008, BYU Women’s Conference)

Posted by: cecil0812 ( )
Date: January 22, 2013 05:51PM

These quotes are disgusting and I fail to see how any woman would willingly belong to a church that espouses this drivel.

Posted by: starkravingmad ( )
Date: January 22, 2013 06:02PM

"Show her the backhand, all women know the backhand!" - TSM

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: January 22, 2013 07:33PM

citation needed

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: January 22, 2013 06:49PM

"Kimball advised departing missionaries as follows:

'....The brother missionaries have been in the habit of picking out the prettiest women for themselves before they get here, and bringong on the ugly ones for us; hereafter you have to bring them all here before taking any of them, and let us all have a fair shake.'"

Qtd. in Richard Abanes, One Nation Under Gods: A History of the Mormon Church. (p. 297)

I read that book several years ago, and that is one quote from it that I never forgot. (Immediately following this quote, Abanes discusses how castration was apparently a favorite means of revenge by some older Mormon men against young, handsome guys whom younger women preferred to marry.)

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: January 22, 2013 07:19PM

"Tonight I am attending [General Priesthood Meeting] with a son, sons-in-law, and grandsons. Where are their mothers? Gathered in the kitchen of our home! What are they doing? Making large batches of homemade doughnuts! And when we return home, we will feast on those doughnuts. While we enjoy them, these mothers, sisters, and daughters will listen intently as each of us speaks of things he learned here tonight. It’s a nice family tradition, symbolic of the fact that everything we learn and do as priesthood bearers should bless our families."

http://www.lds.org/ensign/1999/05/our-sacred-duty-to-honor-women

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 22, 2013 07:24PM

Publishing Mormon Pig comments like the following is what gets feminists excommunicated (and LDS patriarchs no doubt think this garbage is actually elevating and emancipating) ...

Maxine Hanks--feminist, author and good friend of mine--was a member of the so-called "September Six" group who were excommunicated from the Mormon Cult in the early 1990s for daring to express intellectual, academic, historical, unvarnished, enlightened and pro-female criticisms of the Gang of the Blue Suits.

Maxine's unpardonable sin was her decision to publish the book, "Women and Authority," which got her booted from the Mormon Cult a year after it hit store shelves--and, in the process, to dare to actually defend the book.

Horrors. Send in the Lynchers for the Lord.

In that book which she masterfully edited, Maxine made the "anti-Mormon"/anti-macho mistake of actually quoting Hartman Rector, Jr.'s beyond-Kolob numbskull notions on the threat that women pose to Mormon men. Rector blathered his sexist drivel while he was mission president of the California San Diego Mission. As his reward, he was retained in the ranks of the GAs.

Surprised, anyone?

Rector clearly regarded his observations as proof postive of his personal "humility," his gift for "truth"-telling and his self-worshipped "positive" attitudes toward women--all of which makes what he gutter-uttered even sicker than it already de-humanizingly is.

Here
goes:

"In order to attempt to get the male somewhere near even, the Heavenly Father gave him the Priesthood, or directing authority for the Church and home.

"Without this bequeath, the male would be so far below the female in power and influence that there would be little or no purpose for his existence. In fact, [he] would probably be eaten by the female as is the case with the black widow Spider.

"Therefore the Lord has made plain by revelations both ancient and modern that the male rules over the femaile but always with love and great respect."

OINK!

(Hartman Rector, Jr., March 1981, quoted in Maxine Hanks, ed., "Women and Authority: Re-emerging Mormon Feminism," Chapter IV, "Historic Mormon Feminist Discourse--Excerpts" [Salt Lake City, Utah: Signature Books, 1992], pp. 118-19)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2013 07:25PM by steve benson.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: January 22, 2013 07:48PM

This was just posted on your thread about Scott Gordon:

"We don’t need women who want to be like men…dress like men…act like men. We do need women who…have a spiritual confirmation of their identity, their value, and their eternal destiny. Above all, we need women who will stand up for truth and righteousness and decry evil at every turn.” (M. Russell Ballard, Women of Righteousness, Ensign, Apr 2002)

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 22, 2013 08:41PM

Wrinkley Hinckley's "To the Women of the Church" (October 2003 GC) is the most sexist drivel ever. He lists all the amazing things women can do like be shoppers, chauffeurs, nurses (you know as long as they are home.) Then he rattles off things that amazingly women do just like men. They drive cars. They "run" computers. They speak in church! Yes, he actually said drive cars. This was less than a decade ago and that's what he came up with to back up the equality of women. Yeah guess what you old fart, women are also doctors and lawyers and Supreme Court justices. Gasp!

But the worst was telling single women not to despair, the world still needs their talents. Whew. A reason for single women to go on living. There is actually a place in the world for them.

I could not believe women just sat and listened to that and smiled and didn't tell him to take his wrinkly 90-year-old worthless ass and go to hell where he belongs.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 11:16AM

The inferiority of women was established in their second-place creation, in making Eve the fall guy in the Eden story. The culture and the religion it spawned have always been male dominant. Women have always been considered inferior. Mormonism is just the biblical religions dialed up a notch or two.

Posted by: davieboy ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 11:41AM

I believe one time, when the bulk of the Relief Society complained about being hungry during one especially harsh winter, Brigham Young is reported to have said:

"Let them eat cock."

It's just hearsay, but...

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 07:44PM

Three words that describe what these quotes instill in women (except for daveyboy!! heh heh!).

Guilt, guilt, guilt!!

I've been there, how dare I want to do anything other than wait hand and foot on my husband and children and kowtow to everything TSSC said!!

Thanks for the reminder, I am SO glad to be free of it all!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 07:55PM

Rector seems to be saying either rule or be a slave. Theocrats have no sense of democracy, do they?

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 01:31AM

Does it just have to be LDS? Here is a southern baptist quote from leaders in the Southern baptist convention late 1990's: "Women's primary purpose and duty in life is to graciously submit to her husband."

Posted by: Blah ( )
Date: February 25, 2019 11:26AM

"Beguiling voices in the world cry out for 'alternative lifestyles' for women. They maintain that some women are better suited to careers than for marriage and motherhood. These individuals spread their discontent by the propoganda that there are more exciting and self-fulfilling roles for women than homemaking." -Ezra Taft Benson

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 25, 2019 01:06PM

I believe in the 1st Ed. of one of SWK's books, he mentioned a 'picture window' as an extravagance that he was discouraging; this one has gone Down the Memory Hole, so I can't give a citation or the context.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.