Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: josie ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 11:25PM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55649700-78/yorgason-carry-kelley-store.html.csp

Here's a link that has an interview with Cindy Yorgason, the woman who took the photos:

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/slc/story/Man-carries-AR-15-in-JCPenny-store/bP9BrGz81k2MfwnC3nulgw.cspx

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2013 11:55PM by josie.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 11:28PM

" 'You do not need to do something like this even if you are against any potential bans.' "

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 11:31PM

I never made anyone anxious or fear for their life when I went bra-less for women's rights. Carrying a assault weapon is over-the-top.

Posted by: nw gal ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 12:32AM

Why would anyone need a gun in Utah? Won't their magic undies protect them?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 12:34AM

How is this different than me wearing one of those hezbollah dynamite vests in public. I promise I won't detonate it.

Date: January 24, 2013 11:11PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2013 11:12PM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 01:05AM

He's missing a dead deer.

Date: January 21, 2013 01:08AM

Posted by: ducky333 ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 01:13AM

I remember in Jan. 2011 when that man Phillip Taylor was walking around University Mall in Orem with two or three assault weapons. Wow, did he create a frightening situation. He's lucky he wasn't shot himself. It's a horribly ignorant way to prove a point, imo.

Hopefully the rest of this is not too political; if it is, delete it or I'll move it.

This 2nd freak appearance of a gun in a Utah store is quite timely, because I'm hearing a lot of tongue wagging about the alleged conspiracy theory that's making the rounds from SL all the way south.

This former friend and his buddies are telling anyone who will listen (including some mutual friends who told me) that President Obama is out to "take their guns" and they're "getting prepared" for that eventuality. "Just let them try and see what happens to them" was their barely-veiled threat.

Even worse, these rabble-rousers are flat out telling people that the Dec. Newtown, Conn. massacres were carried out not with assault rifles--oh no, that's just a lie designed to frighten us all into giving up our guns. No, they claim that the young boy perpetrated all these murders with a single revolver. No .223 Bushmaster was used (I also heard the rumor of a pair of revolvers). I thought I'd heard all the half-baked nonsense there was around here, but then this. I really wonder about the sanity of some of these people (and the main conspiracy theorist used to be a cop!).

The group rejects outright that there are other countries who have bans, or modified restrictions, on assault weapons. Yet there are countries which have shut down the use and ownership of assault weapons: Costa Rica, the UK, Germany, Turkey, Canada, NZ and Australia, Serbia, Mexico and Columbia. The numbers of gun homicide counts went way down when assault weapons became unavailable. If you're interested in seeing the numbers according to these polls, you can find info on
http://www.takepart.com/photos/10-countries-assault-weapons-bans

Of course, there are other factors taken into account with these homocides. But anyway, just to add to the theatre of the absurd in Utah.

Date: January 21, 2013 01:33AM

Yes, I'm seeing a lot of radical Facebook posts from Utah TBMs.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2013 01:57AM by josie.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 02:11AM

Well, the first reports did say that an assault rifle was found in the trunk and only two handguns were used. First reports can be full of misinformation, so I'm not justifying conspiracies, just saying they have latched on to reported story discrepancies.
The full situation must be known by now, and I wish hasty reporting never happened.

Date: January 21, 2013 03:10AM

The coroner proved the handgun theory was bogus pretty quickly. But this conspiracy theory has just been happening in the last week. That's what's so scary about it. Many Utah tbms believe in conspiracy theories like this one, but they will never believe that the church could actually be lying by omission or commission? Just like they won't let go of the Romney was the savior while Pres. Obama manipulated his way into the big white house, when basically he just started a very sophisticated network easily accessed on the Net. They pick and choose their rationale. That's what's mind-boggling w/many tbms.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 02:16AM

I think it would be pretty scary to see someone in the store carrying around a gun like that. How am I supposed to know if he's going to start shooting or if he's harmless? He makes one suspicious looking move and someone with a concealed weapon might just shoot him.

Date: January 21, 2013 02:19AM

Good point. And dangerous for bystanders in the crossfire.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2013 02:26AM by josie.

Date: January 21, 2013 03:13AM

The thing is, police officers in Utah can shoot if they see a gun, whether it be the real thing or not. Is proving a point worth possible death?

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 09:30AM

Seriously I just don’t like how one sided the focus seems to be. We have a rampant epidemic of people on mind/mood altering drugs and they are playing a significant factor and it is getting ignored.

http://ssristories.com/index.php

Yes, he could have left them in the car locked up out of sight.
Of course in Oregon you’re supposed to leave them in plain sight in your car even if they are unloaded. It’s a great way to get your car/truck broken into and your property stolen.

To the thousands who live in cities and have no clue that a gun could be considered a necessity…I had a Mohave green rattle snake in my yard. There was NO anti-venom for them for years. But when you live two hours away from a hospital you might be inclined to feel a need to shoot the snake from a safe distance rather than engage it with a shovel in the brush where you could miss, but it wouldn’t miss you!

I’ve sat in Relief Society where the women were going on and on about how they saw a ‘wicked’ woman in the mall with a Victoria’s Secret bag. The lady might have only bought a pair of sweats or slippers or pajamas but she was wicked in their eyes. They were very judgmental of what they thought she was.

It wasn’t wise of the man to use his open carry right in Utah since everyone who doesn’t know much about safe handling of guns anymore get all jumpy.

There is no need to be banning guns from the general public.
I find them cumbersome and LOUD!
I liked the suggestion someone e-mailed me about getting a ‘nail gun’ and if someone intrudes their home to ‘nail their azz’!

But this media fanned hysteria is getting way out of hand. If someone wants to own a gun, let them. If a criminal uses a gun in a crime, throw the book at them. If someone needs to defend themselves from a home intruder that’s okay. The cops can’t be everywhere or arrive in time to prevent injury. The MPs in the Army were glad to know the wives had guns in the home and knew how to use them. Their men might be gone out in the field or over seas and the MPs knew the women could defend themselves when their men were not home.

The man would have been better off if he was carrying his gun in a gun bag, but that might not be legal in Utah. So doesn’t anyone realize their emotions are being played on by a selective media dictating to them over their TV?

Date: January 21, 2013 09:39AM

Mormon Observer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seriously I just don’t like how one sided the
> focus seems to be. We have a rampant epidemic of
> people on mind/mood altering drugs and they are
> playing a significant factor and it is getting
> ignored.
>

You make a good argument for making guns--at least certain categories of guns--harder to get. It seems to me it would be much easier and would help with some other problems simply to make guns harder to get than to keep track of all the people on psychiatric medication. If you think you need a handgun for self-protection, for example, then you should undergo the same training as a police officer and have to periodically requalify, in my opinion. Allow assault rifles for military and police only.

As for people getting "hysterical"--what is it about 26 dead little kids that doesn't bother you?

Date: January 21, 2013 09:42AM

Oh, and this . . .

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/01/20/five_injured_in_accidental_gun_show_shootings_on_gun_appreciation_day.html

"

As thousands of pro-gun activists held rallies across the United States on Saturday, accidental shootings at three different guns shows illustrated the obvious: Being around lots of people carrying firearms can be a tad dangerous. The Associated Press compiles the reports from North Carolina, Indiana and Ohio.

In Raleigh, a shotgun went off when the owner was taking it out of its case at a security checkpoint, injuring three people. In Indianapolis, a 54-year-old man appears to have accidentally shot himself in the hand as he was leaving a gun show. And in Ohio, a dealer was checking out a purchase when he pulled the trigger by accident and injured his friend. Although he had removed the magazine from the weapon, a round remained in the chamber."

Posted by: abc ( )
Date: January 22, 2013 11:16AM

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 09:53AM

That's because he was in his protective bubble of delusion where the feelings and reactions of others can't get through.

Date: January 21, 2013 09:54AM

I'm sure Glenn Beck will have a place for him in his utopia.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 10:09AM

After all, an armed population is supposed to make us all feel safer, isn't it?

Would any one really feel safer if everyone walked around like him?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2013 10:15AM by MJ.

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 10:25AM

Intelligence is being informed.
Wisdom is knowing how to use information.

The informed know that what he did was legal. The wise know that just because you can do something, doesn't always mean that you should.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 10:43AM

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: January 22, 2013 11:35AM

With an even smaller mind..

Posted by: karriew ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 10:46AM

Readers Digest version: Soon after I left my second husband (he beat me) and getting ZERO support from my father (and my ward), my old friend Mark asked me if I had a gun. I did not, he took me to a range and showed me how to load, aim and fire the gun. 150 rounds later, I was no expert, but I did feel safe. Now, the rest of the story.

One night, I was alone at Mark's house (he had a class) and some cutpurse was trying to enter through a window. I saw the person he had a crowbar and was trying to force the window. I called 911 and turned on all the lights and showed him the gun. The guy then went to the next window to see if he could force it. I turned on the light in that room and loaded a round in the chamber and pointed the gun at him and said, "If you come in, I will kill you." The burglar ran away and was caught ten minutes later by the police. He was armed with a crowbar and a twenty-two inch machete. I do not think the machete was there to cut apples. Moral of story, I believe this potential burglar (he had attacked two people with the same machete) believing I was not armed may have heightened or escalated his break in if he had not seen a gun. I may not be here. The police asked me if I pointed the gun at him, I answered in the affirmative. One of the officers (Sacramento, CA P.D.) was 'incensed' that I would fein to to 'their job'. A field commander (Lieutenant in rank), smiled and said, "You probably saved your life, their previous dealing with that suspect showed he preyed upon unarmed and in defensible
people."

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 02:08PM

I remember thinking, "What? And nobody called the police?" I can't believe the woman who photographed him did not call 911.

Date: January 24, 2013 11:12PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 11:23PM

Posted by: anonforthisnow ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 12:18AM

I don't have problems with people having a gun for protection and hunting (although I don't like hunting myself). However, I think regulations need to be stricter. I also think that some people just should not have guns because they are irresponsible. I have a real problem with that.

To make a long story short, I have seen first hand a former police office with a lot of gun training have an accident with a gun. I was there when he had the first one. The second one made the local news in SLC. Who knows if there are more that I don't know about. He didn't learn from the first accident and doesn't appear to have learned from the second. The state laws won't allow for his permit to be revoked because he wasn't charged with anything, let alone convicted. IIRC, you have to be convicted of a felony for them to revoke it. He loves his guns, his sons love guns, even the one that was hit by the bullet in the second accident loves the guns. The sons talk and joke about guns on facebook. You'd think that all of them would be very serious when it came to guns after the second accident, but no...I just don't understand how they can be so flippant about it. In both cases, he was being stupid with a loaded gun. There are accidents, and then there "accidents" that are a result of sheer stupidity that should never, ever happen. This kind of thing is where I have a real problem with certain people having guns. They may not purposely go out and shoot up a movie theatre or school, but they are still dangerous. How many others are out there that act like this?

Someone could have easily been killed or seriously injured in either one of those accidents. His parents were sensible when it came to guns so it's not like he wasn't taught the right things. I wish there was some kind of test to weed out irresponsible people like this and not allow them to have guns.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 01:34AM

Assault rifles are already regulated in the US to where most people can't own one. An assault rifle has full automatic capability. The M-16 is an assault rifle. An AR-15 is not. They may look similar but the internal parts are completely different. An AR-15 would be classified as a semi-automatic rifle.

The Armalite 15 has been sold in the US for a long time. It was invented in the 1950's.

An assault weapon can be anything used to assault someone with. A 30 inch Louisville Slugger baseball bat becomes an assault weapon as soon as you assault someone with it. That number 5 wedge in the golf bag can be an assault weapon. Easy to kill someone with either.

People need to get their terms straight. By saying you want to band assault weapons basically means banning everything. YOu can assault someone with a can of soup. Use the edge to smash their skull open. Heck. Even a bad fart can be an assault weapon.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.