Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 04:40PM

Just before 1982, Dieter Uchtdorf was a chief pilot at Lufthansa, and from 1982-1996 was Sr. VP of flight ops.

Is it possible he made millions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 06:19PM

The top guy at Lufthansa made 2.259 million euros in 2011. The lowest of the 4 members of the executive team made 1.3 million. They were paid a bit less than 2010 because, presumably, profits were less. See http://reports.lufthansa.com/2011/ar/notes/otherdisclosures/supervisoryboardandexecutiveboard/remunerationreportfortheexecutiveboard.html

Senior VP for Flight Ops would be considerably below this pay scale so, no I don't think he made millions 16 years ago.

I do know, however, that Elder Uchtdorf was identified quite early in his GA career as future FP material. When he was a Seventy in 2001, he received the protection of some very senior brethren.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2013 06:23PM by anointedone.

Date: January 15, 2013 07:26PM

Tom, thank you. That's good info. I read on wikipedia that he quit his job in 1996 to focus on his Q70 calling, and was eventually called to the 12 in 2004. He's gone 16 years on church modest stipends.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 04:38PM

anointedone,

I'm curios to know what you mean by "received the protection of some very senior brethren"

I also wonder that if you had stayed in church and tow the line, do you think you would have been called to the Q70 or even Q12?

Thanks,
D

Posted by: albertasaurus ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 08:38PM

During the late 90s I was on my way to becoming a professional pilot (didn't work out). At the time a top pilot on trans-ocean flights would be paid from about $100-200 grand US so I would guess he'd be in that range.

Posted by: mls ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 10:13PM

My husband is a pilot (actually met Uchtdorf) and off the top of his head he thinks Uchtdorf made between $450,000 to $750.000 per year as Sr. VP of flight operations, which is a management position.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 11:34PM

Not much, if you're these two (after the blondes story)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh_shsRfXqk

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 12:06AM

Chief pilots and senior vice presidents of airlines are not always looked upon favorably by the line pilot. Sometimes they are hired guns for mangement and viewed as turncoats to their profession. They usually can never return to the line flying because they are so disliked. They are not chosen because of their flying skills, but due to their willingness to discipline fellow pilots and follow management's orders.

As chief pilot, he was probably making are up to $300,000 in today's dollars and as a VP about $500,000 to $700,000 per year. That would not be including whatever stock options that are awarded.

Remember the new Airbus 320 at the Paris Airshow that was flown into the trees with press on board? He was the chief pilot of Air France and didn't understand the systems of the aircraft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cv2ud1339E

I figured that Dieter Uchtdorf was someone that I would not like just by his resume; but I don't know the guy other than by his discourses, he is a liar.

Marshall

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2013 11:17AM by No Mo.

Posted by: Exmosis ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 12:31AM

It's my belief that GA's are selected (especially top 15) for their value to the cult. Plot? Someone who can help them fly places around the globe. Dr. Nelson? Someone who can treat GAs medically and privately, so that publicity will not be an issue when it isn't wanted via a regular hospital.

And also that the GAs get many more perks than we are aware of, that we may never know exactly the full extent of.

The main attraction I would think to GAs is not having to work all that hard for an annual salary, living expense/housing, free insurance and other benefits, including tuition for kids (maybe grand kids, too?)

Posted by: truth seeker ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 04:32PM

His position as a pilot was not his main income (hard to compare anyway, was in Deutsche Mark, long ago, buying power changed, etc.). But he earned more than the average guy because of his additional income through his position as a check pilot, as a training pilot (not the same) and as a chief pilot (not totally correct, but describes that position best) and what No Mo called stock options: He got a "Gewinnnbeteiligung" (profit sharing) which was a secret in fact and amount but extremely high depending on his ability to make pilots at Lufthansa work more for less money.

Furthermore he did own property in the US since the 90-ies until he was covered mysteriously in all public files.

Since he did this to his fellow pilots and used privileges that others did not have (his children flying first class, a strict no for all others) I doubt his character very strongly. Champagne for me, water for the others.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 12:35AM

Date: January 16, 2013 10:05AM

Indeed Steve. And those pants are on fire, Uchtdorf the liar.

Posted by: Cokeisoknowdrinker ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 05:28PM

remember that taxes i Europe/Germany are so much higher than the US.. his net take home was much less IMO>

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 05:36PM

There is a lot that goes into this but suffice it to say that is mostly myth. Take home pay as a percentage of gross is about the same between the US and Germany.

Posted by: tamboruco ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 05:30PM

I heard that Uchtdorf was instrumental in getting the Freiberg Temple built. The East/West were still divided at the time so this was seen as quite a feat. The Monson/Uchtdorf bond was made at that time - blessings bestowed, callings promised, fortunes gained.

Does anyone have the scoop on the Freiburg/Uchtdorf connection?

In GC he sounds like a pilot orating about Jesus. His talks are all about how to get from here to there. Just a rehash of everything everyone else says. I'd like to hear him speak in his native German - his talks might be more interesting.

Posted by: Flyinghigh ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 06:10PM

I can't imagine anyone wanting to listen to any of these mind-numbing and soulless talks from any of these celestial deadbeats at GC. As for Uchdorf, well he's just plane crazy.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 06:52PM

worker who believes in magic underwear.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.