Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 08:59PM

The church used to talk now and again about the "Adamic Language," the langauge that Adam, the first man that Mormons literally believe in, spoke. "Pay lay ale" was supposedly Adamic for, "O, God! Hear the words that be comin' outta my mouf!"

But now chanting pay lay ale! in the temple sounds a little too cult-like, so they say it in English. And they've dropped so many things. Kolob is "folklore." Blacks being less than whites is "folklore." Anything once doctrinal and now weird is being dubbed "folklore." But does anyone still reference it any more as if it's a real thing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 2humble4u ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 09:24PM

I still hear it now and then, but not as much as I used to a few years ago... You may be right, it does seem to be in its death throes at the moment.

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 09:50PM

kolob is folklore now??!?! dang my fav church song is if you could hie to kolob! bummer now I have no reason at all to go back

Posted by: Kismet ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 10:19PM

The "Adamic Language" is scriptural. Moses 6:5-6:

"And a book of remembrance was kept, in the which was recorded, in the language of Adam, for it was given unto as many as called upon God to write by the spirit of inspiration;

And by them their children were taught to read and write, having a language which was pure and undefiled."

It also stands to reason that if you believe Adam to be a literal person, you would have to believe that there was a language he spoke, which I assume would have been given to him by God in some way. So it seems like it would be hard to dismiss the idea of an "Adamic Language" as folklore, unless you're willing to also dismiss Adam as folklore, or at least dismiss the idea that he ever spoke to anyone as folklore.

Not that they wouldn't try, because Kolob is scriptural, too. It's specifically mentioned in Abraham 3:3-4. Black skin being a curse is also scriptural. It's in Alma 3:6, for one. Many of the things they try to dismiss as folklore are actually contained in the official canon.

Posted by: itzbeen20 ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 11:43AM

Honors your research and sharing. It fits well.
It is a valid quote.
But there is no real book of Moses.
That is m fiction-fable. Made up.
In the steps of the bom.
Whatever the Moses did is mostly recorded in the 1st 5 books of the Tanach. If we want to get specific.
This is another great example of them double blind. Again.
It is not because something is printed, that it has any value.
Counterfeit?
Probably nothing we need to care or know about.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 11:49PM

That language has evolved into the modern Adam-Antic tongue. Sample words and meanings:

Folklore: Any doctrine proved false.

Charity: A forced 10% tax on income.

Service: Unpaid labor for building maitenance.

Uplifting: Any thing stripped of sublety or mature themes.

Reverence: Unquestioning obedience.

Priesthood: Anything with a wiener.

Prophet: Highest ranking liar.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 10:31AM

Posted by: itzbeen20 ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 12:15PM

Another census downer.
Let’s say, in the past century— one of the things bragged about by the church elders was the fact the church was all volunteer— as another “sooooooo truuuuuue” proof.
The ONLY paid labor was to the grounds keepers, janitor, maintenance. Reasonably fair and full pay.
Just ANOTHER example of js wisdom, consideration for the working man and laborer— to expect nothing free and always pay a man fully for a full day’s work!
Plus, donot think this is a hot selling point of “membership”!

So, for an average ward, this is several thousand dollars saved monthly, because that much tithing is not coming in.
And then let’s just tighten the screws down a bit— the gas are not giving anything up!

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 12:03AM

It's nice to go to lds.org to catch Mormons on their cover up. So here in all of its glory is a little bullshit from the one true website.

Moses 6:5–6. The Origin of Language and Writing

Elder Bruce R. McConkie stated:

“In the beginning God gave Adam a language that was pure, perfect, and undefiled. This Adamic language, now unknown, was far superior to any tongue which is presently extant. For instance, the name of God the Father, in this original language, is Man of Holiness, signifying that he is a Holy Man and not a vague spiritual essence. (Moses 6:57.)

“This first language spoken by mortals was either the celestial tongue of the Gods or such adaptation of it as was necessary to meet the limitations of mortality; and Adam and his posterity had power to speak, read, and write it” (Mormon Doctrine, 19).

Elder McConkie said the following about the book of remembrance mentioned in Moses 6:5: “From the beginning, the Lord provided a language and gave men the power to read and write. … The thing which they first wrote, and which of all their writings was of the most worth unto them, was a Book of Remembrance, a book in which they recorded what the Lord had revealed about himself, about his coming, and about the plan of salvation, which plan would have force and validity because of his atonement. This was the beginning of the Holy Scriptures” (The Promised Messiah, 86; see also Moses 6:46).

http://www.lds.org/manual/the-pearl-of-great-price-student-manual/the-book-of-moses?lang=eng&query=adamic

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 09:04AM

Long ago we had one of those LDS egg-heads on a lecture circuit come through our stake in Palmdale, CA. They used to have programs like that, where an LDS musician would go on the road and manage to get impossibly nice sounds out of the ward's organ, or some guy like Cleon Skousen who would talk about the Holy Land or some such. This guy, whoever he was, talked about the Adamic language and somehow linked it to the Basque language (Euskara), and somehow linked it to some migration of early humans who somehow had made it to the mountains of Spain and remained isolated.

Likewise, the early Welsh settlers in Utah were convinced that the Utes could understand them, thinking that the Welsh language was Adamic and that they shared a linguistic bond with the Utes.

Goes to show you the mental hoops a Mormon is willing to jump through to validate his religion.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 11:17AM

Occasionally spoken in Adam Sandler movies, and only understood by a few 15 year-old boys, who also laugh at fart jokes.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 11:25AM

When we were in the Pre LTM (I know, that dates me) missionary home in SLC, we went to the temple, and a GA held a Q&A for us.

I raised my hand and asked if "Pay Lay Ale" was a phrase from the "Adamic language."

The GA seemed irritated at the question, but answered, "Yes, it comes from the Adamic language. Next question?"

I'm guessing he was grumbling internally at having to lie to us.

What a bunch of baloney we used to believe!!

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 12:48PM

Look no further i do speak the adamic language. Pay lay ale is old school talk now. Now we talk like this "ski boop bop shibity bee bop ski boop" this means things are all good in the neighborhood. For any other translations you are on your own.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 12:54PM

Pig Latin is still more fun than that made up language.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.