Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Oh Tommy Boy... ( )
Date: January 10, 2013 04:45PM

Below is the info from the Library of Congress from one of Thomas S. Monson's book.

As an author myself, I am aware that a "work for hire" does not require an employer-employee relationship, but an "employer for hire" on a copyright application often (not always) does.

It's interesting to note that he doesn't hold the copyright, but TSCC does through its IP arm. Typical book deals have the author holding the copyright, and they license it to the publishing house or whatever for a period of time.

There are other books that Monson has written where he holds the copyright and Deseret Book published it, so he, like other GA's, probably still draws royalties from said books. But for this project below, it appears he was acting as an employee.

Nothing earth-shattering here, but it was intriguing to me as I know this process from registering my own works with LOC.

Type of Work: Text
Registration Number / Date: TX0005330861 / 2001-05-29
Title: Three gates to open / by Thomas S. Monson.
Description: 1 v.
Series: CES fireside for young adults
Copyright Claimant: Intellectual Reserve, Inc.
Date of Creation: 2001
Date of Publication: 2001-01-14
Authorship on Application: Corporation of the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, employer for hire.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 10, 2013 05:39PM

interesting how they ALWAYS manage to find-insert Twists & Turns into the equation; IDK about this one, but Hey, Who's Counting???

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: January 10, 2013 05:56PM

As the sole proprietor of a corporation sole called LDS Inc, Monson owns Intellectual Reserve and all the other subsidiary corps. So he's an employee of his own corp?

Maybe he didn't actually write it and was too embarrassed to sell it for a profit.

Posted by: Cynthia ( )
Date: January 10, 2013 08:08PM

I wonder how many GA's do write their own books.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.