Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 04:41PM

I found this interesting article that gives an answer to that question:

http://www.prb.org/Articles/2002/HowManyPeopleHaveEverLivedonEarth.aspx

The answer from the Population Reference Bureau is 108 billion people.

My next question is how many of those people have been baptized into the CoJCoLDS? How many baptisms for the living person and how many baptisms for the dead?

I tend to believe that the total number of baptized people is less than 200 million. So the Mormons are not even making a small dent in the task of getting all people baptized.

IMO they are wasting their time and effort and accomplishing almost nothing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 04:50PM

According to Mormon mythology.

1) It is still important because those who are baptized get promoted from spirit prison to spirit paradise. So even though they can't get to everyone those who get baptized will be very grateful.

2) That's what the millennium will be for. Everyone on earth will be doing non-stop proxy work for 1,000 years and that will allow everyone to get their work done.

3) It would only be an issue for those who lived to be 8 - maybe 1/2 to 1/3 of that number.

But, yeah, they aren't even close to keeping up with just the adults dying in the world right now.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 04:54PM

I've never heard of that.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 05:31PM

I've never heard of spirit paradise. Is it supposed to replace the spiritual prison I was taught about in primary classes?

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 05:08PM

bc nailed it - every single year, every day, every minute the gap between the proxy work that TSCC is doing / and the total amount of names, grows bigger and bigger.

When you look at the numbers, God's work & his glory starts to appear not quite so impressive. A plan of salvation that will only be taught to an absolutely minuscule amount of his children, only in certain parts of the world and for a very short period of time compared to the total period that mankind has populated the earth...... this was the very first red flag for me.

Posted by: justrob ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 05:12PM

bc covered it, I just wanted to add 1 additional piece:
Mormons don't acknowledge that 108 billion people have lived.

That study is based on there being 2 humans in 50,000BC

Mormons however would say that there were 2 humans in 4,000 BC
*IF* you believed that, then you are looking at a number closer to 20 billion, which means focusing on those alive right now is the biggest chunk to worry about.

I'm sure mormons will also "reveal" a dispensational responsibility, and claim that Adam/Noah/Moses/Abraham/Christ were all in charge of baptizing the dead for their dispensations (they will use the same scripture in the NT that they use now to justify even having fathomed baptisms for the dead).

They will also write off all the wicked people that were drowned in Noah's flood, because that "baptized" the whole earth.

...point is, your number is based on a paradigm that is orthogonal to mormonism, and any discrepancies will one day be "resolved" through additional BS... I mean "revelation".

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 05:38PM

Its going to be a long long long long long long ... line just to get through the vail. Better bring your ipad with a full charge.

Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 06:34PM

Short answer: all of them.

This was a brain puzzler on my mission: why, if the church is what it claims to be, are we such a small minority? Why doesn't anyone want the "true(tm)" gospel?

I suppose the struggle there makes you all the more "special" for recognizing it and trying to live it. It gives you all the more people to look down on because they won't/haven't accepted it. Too bad for them.

Posted by: strawman7 ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 11:13PM

Better bring Abbott and Costello in to solve this equation, eh?

What a buncha, buncha bullsh!t...

Another testament to the One True Church... NOT !

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 11:25PM

Mormonism is the most important thing God has ever done, except for the Jesus bit.

And out of his 108 billion beloved children, only a few hundred million have even heard the word 'Mormon' during their one and only trial on Earth.

I think he's a total incompetent.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.