Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Searching Truth ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 01:03PM

My TBM wife has always liked facial hair, but other than a brief "rebellious" period when I grew a beard for a couple of months, I have never had any facial hair.

As many of you know and have experienced, it seems to be understood in the Morg that you're not supposed to grow any facial hair. Our SP even came out several years ago and basically told all the men to shave it off if they had any. ("Look at the Brethren...do any of them have facial hair?"...insert eye roll here)

Anyway, the last couple of weeks, I've been growing out a goatee, and have received lots of compliments from different people. So last night, DW kissed me and said, "Ooh! I just love your goatee!" I think deep down she knows she's not supposed to like/support this hideous sin, but she can't help herself!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 01:12PM

Soooo sexy. He had to shave it off for his job. I made sure he at least kept the mustache, though.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 01:47PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 01:29PM

black/white thinking is for small minds; it's their Best Refuge from making actual decisions.

Posted by: swiper ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 01:33PM

I will start sporting a full beard as soon as I retire from the military. I'm tired of looking youthful at 40.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 02:32PM

I went through BYU in a near perpetual state of scruff, and broke out with a neatly trimmed goatee as soon as I graduated. I always thought BYU should have altered the honor code and felt that the war against facial hair was pharisaic and unwarranted. I felt if the early church leaders could have facial hair, and if I could enter the temple (the holiest of all places) with facial hair, and if there was no revelation anywhere close to the hedge around the law against facial hair, then there shouldn't be any problem with me wearing it. Then again, I later joined the ranks of Satan.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 02:53PM

+1

And more than one of the early prophets had facial hair that fell below their collar...double whammy!

If the prophets can get into the celestial room of the temple with facial hair, why is it forbidden at BYU? Nothing is more sacred to them than their holy temples...except their finances, but I digress.

http://www.thedirtfloor.com/2011/12/06/the-mormon-prophets-art-by-doc-christensen/

Facial hair is so overtly masculine, and TheBrethren just can't risk men fully owning their masculinity and telling the emasculating, misogynistic, homophobic control freaks to shove it.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 03:50PM

Back in the old days (1920s to mid 1960s) BYU used to have "beard growing contests."

http://signaturebookslibrary.org/wp-content/uploads/Beard-Growing-Contest-page-.gif

Here is a link to a photo of Melvin Mabey, chairman of BYU's political science department.
This photo of him lecturing to students was published on the front page of the Oct. 1, 1968 Daily Universe.

http://signaturebookslibrary.org/wp-content/uploads/Melvin-Mabey-page-380.gif

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2012 05:32PM by baura.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 02:53PM

My husband has kind of a baby face and is cute but with a beard he's drop dead, gorgeous-sexy. It's not that he looks older or younger but it's just sexy and manly. He used to have a beard but shaved it off last year. He only grew it because I couldn't keep my hands off him nor could I stop telling him how gorgeous he was with a beard. His curly hair with a beard, black turtleneck and a leather jacket ...

OK, I threw some cold water on myself but the point I was trying to make is I totally understand your wife's point of view and applaud you for considering it. Now she should trot over to Victoria's Secret to return the eye-candy favor. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2012 02:53PM by CA girl.

Posted by: Searching Truth ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 02:58PM

+ 1000!! :0

Posted by: vulcanrider ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 02:58PM

1 May 2003 I retired after 26 years Active Duty, and the requirement to shave daily (except for deployments to the ME) ended.

And I don't anymore unless I WANT to, and that's about once a week. With clippers, not a razor, the wife likes the goatee with the scruffy look.

Posted by: cfutahn ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 03:07PM

Facial hair on some men looks great. However, as far as my feelings about kissing a guy with facial hair, I could do without it. I always enjoy kissing guys with smooth faces than those with hair. Just personal preference.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 03:07PM

Don't some missions require missionaries to have facial hair.

Posted by: librarykim2 ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 03:38PM

I love men with goatees. I wish my husband would keep one. He'll grow it for a bit and then get tired of it and shave it. Oh well.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 03:43PM

When I as born, the president of the LDS church wore a beard.

When I was 20 and wore a beard the church people complained about it.

Nothing like the constancy of the Gospel to have to cling to in times of change.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 03:47PM

I wore a goatee for a few years as an apparent TBM (I was actually an in the closet non believer.) It was at my TBM wife's request. The culture may discourage goatee's but there really is nothing official against them.

However, anyone bishop or higher is not allowed to have facial hair. They made our last bishop who had a mustache for 23 years shave his when he was called as bishop - but not when he was a branch president.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2012 03:50PM by bc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.