Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Spanner not logged in ( )
Date: November 21, 2012 05:24PM

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/mp/15439654/concern-for-missing-palmerston-north-man/

Your Thanksgiving holiday is coming up isn't it? I suspect the poor lad is homesick. I hope it turns out well for him,

Palmy is pretty much the middle of nowhere. It is a student town with lots of young people.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 21, 2012 05:48PM

Maybe he's on a flight home. I hope he's OK and just had the courage to run away from his mission.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 21, 2012 06:06PM

...maybe he's holed up with a girl. Or guy. Depends on his preference.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 21, 2012 06:08PM

I do hope he is OK.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: November 22, 2012 12:16AM

He has been missing long enough, presumably not using his cards or passport, that the police have issued an alert. Which is not usual for a 20yo male after 3 days, my contact in the ward is mystified.

On the remote chance he manages to Google this thread, Alec Ragan, please reply or start a new one. There are supportive exmos in Palmy and throughout NZ.

Posted by: AltaRica ( )
Date: November 22, 2012 01:34AM

After doing some facestalking, I learned that this kid is from my neck of the Morridor (we have a mutual FB friend). I wish there was a way I could reach out to him and tell him that he has a support network back here without it somehow backfiring.

Reminds me of the hellish days of my mission when I was inches away from calling my uncle to have him pick me up. As angry as I was about my mission at the time, I was still holding onto my testiphony that TSCC was still true (despite how f***ed up the missionary program was). I hope that this guy is able to come to his senses faster than I did and see that TSCC is a total crock.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 22, 2012 05:18AM

I advise to take it off board, if contact is made and specific plans are being made. We all know that church reps monitor this board.

On the other hand, we've got to practice "safe contact" - talk about being vulnerable - this missionary epitomizes that. Remember: Just because someone posts on RfM or tries to make contact on RfM does not in and of itself signify that that person is safe.

If anybody is meeting anybody, make sure it is in a public place and that somebody knows what you're planning.

Again, as far as details of an "underground railway", I would do as much of that off board as possible, at the same time as using all safeguards possible for all involved, including the missionary.

To Alec R, if by chance you are reading this board, please know that you can contact board Admin here (Sus I/S - ExMoLight@gmail.com). People here have met her, she is in a position of ultimate trust by Eric, who started this board to help Mormons and non-Mormons alike, and she has a very long record of helping people who post here, with advice, support, and practical aid, as well as knowing who is okay to trust - or not.

All the best to you, Alec. Know that there are people who can help you, and there are always options and ways out of any predicament.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2012 05:23AM by Nightingale.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: November 22, 2012 10:37AM

Apparently seen in an internet cafe by more than one person, but not yet found by those looking for him.

Do their LDS church handlers take their passports away from the missionaries, like they do to the poor kids who go to EU countries and elsewhere? That may be why he is not :using: his passport--he hasn't got it, they do?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/7981328/Missionary-missing-in-Palmerston-North

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: November 22, 2012 10:58AM

Richard Hunter is church PR out of Sydney. Can't the Kiwis even talk for themselves.

They want to "help" the kid. Yeah sure.

173cm tall telling Polynesians they are dark and loathsome. No wonder he bailed.

Date: November 22, 2012 01:22PM

Dude, don't know about the rest of the pacific, but the Maori are Nephites! According to the faith promoting history around here, they descend from Hagoth. apparently a PSR confirmed this in a visit made to SLC in the early 1900s (not sure of any detail on that). That the BoM is THEIR history has been a selling point. That balloon has deflated with DNA and the internet. I don't understand the attraction for the Samoans, we have a number around here. It seems to be a family thing, and the actual church involved seems to be of as much importance as which rugby team you support. The important thing being that you have one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2012 01:24PM by spanner.

Date: November 22, 2012 04:27PM

Well they're really tanned for Nephites. I grew up in NZ and everyone understood Polynesians were Lamanites. They were still proud. If you google Polynesians+Lamanites you'll get both myths, Lamanite and Hagoth.

Date: November 23, 2012 12:05AM

It depends where you come from and I would not be surprised if specific tribes were making the claim. I went to CCNZ and they generally referred to PIs in general as Lamanites. Things could get pretty weird there though. I think early missionaries told different tribes all sorts of nonsense, there are some serious paranormal claims of visions, omens, blessings and predictions that have percolated for generations. Apparently Queen Elizabeth will be the last monarch. That's certainly got the whanau in a tizz lately.

Date: November 23, 2012 04:37AM

I went to CCNZ too. Weird alright.

Posted by: Mon ( )
Date: November 23, 2012 03:54AM

I spent some time in Tonga and I know the reason that lots of them and I believe Samoans both become Mormons is the Social, Financial and Education benefits. Both countries are flooded with 'new' religions, Seven Day Adventist and Born Agains and Mormons. They have good sporting facilities and good Schools which can be a way out of the Islands into church college NZ or BYU. Also some of the girls do marry and elder or 2 and that’s a great way out of the poverty of the Island.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 22, 2012 11:00AM

"He is of thin build..."

Makes my heart go out to him. Alec, if you are out there, whether you are faithful, not faithful, or questioning, this board sends one big cyberhug to you. There is life outside of Utah and outside of Mormon culture. You've seen some of it in the lovely country of New Zealand. There are many ways to be happy. Sometimes you have to break the mold to find your happiness.

You have a long life ahead of you. Live it your way. Be your own best advocate. Good luck to you, and if you need help, give this board a shout out. We have board members in your neck of the woods.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: November 22, 2012 01:40PM

He can walk into any U.S. embassy/consulate and tell them that his passport is being held hostage by his cult.

They'll help him.

Posted by: biblebeltbetsy ( )
Date: November 22, 2012 03:45PM

"Fellow missionary Elder Teaupa, said something had offended Ragan, or he had been having a bad day the morning he went missing."

Yes, he was offended, because thats the only reason people leave the church.

Date: November 22, 2012 04:30PM

Yeah, the fact he's spreading lies for a fucking mind control CULT offended him.

Posted by: curious Jack ( )
Date: November 22, 2012 03:51PM

Maybe Elder Rogan found out things about Joseph Smith and sugar coated mormonism

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: November 22, 2012 05:49PM

That would definitely be hell on earth.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 22, 2012 08:18PM

The report says he was unhappy about being found, but he went with church leaders. In other words, he surrendered and is in custody of his ecclesiastical overlords.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: November 23, 2012 12:37AM

Can anything be done to compel someone from the embassy to speak to him privately to ensure that he's not being held against his will?

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: November 23, 2012 12:43AM

If the NZ cops are anything like American cops, they talked to him already. However, and this is a really big however, they probably came to the conclusion that yes, he is being compelled to return with his church people against his will, but as physical force or threats were not being deployed, there wasn't a whole lot they could do, as cops, to stop him from returning, since he was an adult who was intent on doing so.

Posted by: sometimes lurker ( )
Date: November 23, 2012 02:14AM

everyone be on the lookout for someone with mousey brown hair.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.