Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fetchface ( )
Date: November 13, 2012 02:17PM

I was just wondering if there is any way to get a good estimate of the worth of Packer's house. I tried for quite a while last night and couldn't even come up with a decent picture of it. Zillow was surprisingly unhelpful.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: November 13, 2012 02:44PM

Zillow would be; as an owner you can have that info plus the pictures removed from that site and Trulia's.

The county real property assessment website, however, for the county in which his home is located, may have more helpful info for you. The owner name may not be his; the owner name may be one of the many church names they operate under, but if you have the street address, you should be able to look it up that way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2012 02:45PM by bookratt.

Date: November 13, 2012 03:07PM

1850 Forest Bend Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84121

is the address I am going off of. I guess I'll start looking into how I can find that info.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: November 13, 2012 03:16PM

http://assessor.slco.org/cfml/query/query2.cfm

Is this the correct real property assessor's site?

If so, plug in a street address and go from there.

Date: November 13, 2012 03:42PM

Thanks for the website, it looks to be 5239 sq ft, and ~$1.7M factoring in the attached parcel with a total of over 4 acres. Not too shabby.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: November 13, 2012 04:02PM

"32 Now Alma said unto him: Thou knowest that we do not glut
ourselves upon the labors of this people; for behold I have
labored even from the commencement of the reign of the judges
until now, with mine own hands for my support, notwithstanding
my many travels round about the land to declare the word of
God unto my people.

"33 And notwithstanding the many labors which I have performed
in the church, I have never received so much as even one
senine for my labor; neither has any of my brethren, save it
were in the judgment-seat; and then we have received only
according to law for our time."
--Alma, 30:32-33

Posted by: shadowspade ( )
Date: November 13, 2012 04:08PM

Not bad for a former teacher. That's why I went into education, for the money. Funny, I don't think I'll ever be able to afford a 1.7 million dollar home. There is only one way Packer gets that house, tithing money. That means I probably helped the bastard pay for it.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: November 13, 2012 03:10PM

My brother looked on the SL county assessor's website a year or two ago. He found his house. The assessed value was at one time something like 2 million, then it declined some. I could be wrong, but it was worth quite a bit.

Posted by: Canuck Exmo ( )
Date: November 13, 2012 04:05PM

Bill Comrie, rich Canadian Mormon's house in California:
http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/bill-comries-house/

Do y'all think he's had his 2nd anointing?

Posted by: pigsinzen ( )
Date: November 13, 2012 04:08PM

"The S&M dungeon in the basement adds little to no market value to the house. But to Boyd KY Packme, it's something he wouldn't trade for all the missionaries in training in the world."

I heard it through the grapevine.

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: November 13, 2012 04:38PM

He was a teacher with a large family and a sahm wife.

Remember that old story how he was looking for a house but could not afford one after being called as an apostle?
It always left everyone hanging, never explaining how he did end up buying the house.

But I'm sure the church helped him - your tithes at work.

Over 5000 square feet on four acres, a high wall and a gate - that is an introvert's house if I ever saw one LOL.
The only thing missing is the moat.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 05:14PM

Leah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Over 5000 square feet on four acres, a high wall
> and a gate - that is an introvert's house if I
> ever saw one LOL.
> The only thing missing is the moat.

Plenty of privacy to do "little factory" experiments, I'm sure :)

Posted by: hlord ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 05:08PM

Before casting stones, or in this case, after, you may want to consider some things. First, how much did he acutally pay for the house. Second, how long has he had it.

I bought a house for $110,000 and at one point it was worth about $425,000. When I went to sell it, no one offered anything near that.So what it's worth on paper can be deciving. Just becuase it's assesed at a value doesn't mean anything until it is on the market.

Did he buy it, as I did, through the bank? What were the cercumstances?

Posted by: Exdrymo ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 05:13PM

Isn't assessed value way below market value? I know it is in AZ.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 05:17PM

Real Estate worth/value/ sell price fluctuates, as we all know. A piece of property is only worth what it will sell for at the time.
An example is how CA RE has gone up and up and up in some areas. That's good in many respects as people can get additional mortgages of some sort on their homes if it's owned by a mortgage company or bank.
We bought low and sold high, (through a bank), but had the extra mortgages to be able to continue living in our home as costs went up and up. Selling include Capital Gains if the profit goes over the allowed deductions.

For instance: what Mr. Packer's house is worth doesn't matter until he wants or needs to sell it.
I presume he has a Living Will (I highly suggest everyone does this!!!!) and his estate will go to his heirs according to his wishes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2015 05:18PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 06:17PM

4 acres in cottonwood is the best land in Utah, I would say? the mormon lord takes care of his own?

does anyone know where the others live?
1) Hinkley had 5 acres in millcreek somewhere,
2) Eyring use to live in Bountiful in an ordinary house.
3) Monsoon, don't know?
4) Holland in North Salt Lake somewhere.
5) Hales up by bountiful golf course by bountiful blvd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2015 06:20PM by poopstone.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 06:18PM

Posted by: inmyhappyplace ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 06:21PM

The County Assessor information shows that the home was built in 1957, and is valued at $294,200. With "good" and "average" finishes it is really not an opulent residence considering it is a 5000 sq.ft. house. That is only a construction cost of $58.84 per square foot.

The real value of the property is in the land which is assessed at $1,048,290 for 2 and 1/2 acres located in the beautiful Cottonwood area.

We had considered a wooded, undeveloped, 2 acre piece of property in that area in the early 1980s which at that time was going for $70,000. We thought it was expensive at the time but now wish we had purchased it.

Posted by: Saulnotloggedin ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 06:25PM

BKP started out as a nobody.

He gets called to the Q12.

He writes a book or two.

They sell like best sellers.

He buys a house.

I have bookshelves full of books authored by GA's. Many are just recycled conference talks. But boy howdy, TBM's pay top dollar for those gems of truth and don't blink an eye.

I have noticed that the Q12 and 1st Pres. are authoring more books than ever. I wonder if they are told to as a way of getting off the tithing dole. publish a book and pay your own way. Your book is bound to be a best seller because you have at least one million eager believing customers that want to hang on your every word.

I just wanted to dispel the idea that tithing dollars are paying for all of these guys to live the rich life. It is not tithing dollars, but it sure is cult follower dollars.

Date: March 17, 2015 06:27PM

"GAs given a modest salary?? Look at the cost of their homes!"
(posted by "PinkPoodle," 10 April 1 2013, 3:34 p.m.)

"GAs given a modest salary?? Look at the cost of their homes!

http://www.assessor.slco.org/cfml/Query/valuationInfo.cfm?parcel_id=33154260020000&nbhd=441&PA=1

"Go to this website. Use search by owners name. I put in Church of Jesus Christ, Boyd Packer, etc. You will find some crazy land values of the homes of the GAs."
_____

Related RfM thread: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,857286,857286#msg-857286

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2015 07:49PM by steve benson.

Date: March 17, 2015 06:36PM

(posted 8 April 2006, at 8:09 a.m)

" . . . [T]he [Mormon Church] Prophet and his Apostles are given living arrangments. Thomas S. Monson lives in a 24,000+ square foot condo estimated at a value of $2.8 million. The Prophet and his Apostles all have 24-hour limo service provided by private drivers. The Prophet has 24-hour 'secret service' bodyguards who protect him anywhere he goes. . . .

"When the Mormon Prophet David O'McKay died in 1970 he had an estate worth an estimated at half a million dollars. [McKay] was a lifetime church employee (64 years) and accumulated this wealth from the LDS Church."

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2015 07:19PM by steve benson.

Date: March 17, 2015 06:45PM

A twenty four thousand (24,000) sq ft condo? That is the size of Celine Dion's Mega Mansion.

http://homesoftherich.net/2012/05/celine-dions-29-million-24000-square-foot-canada-mega-mansion/

Perhaps you intended to say 2,400?

Date: March 17, 2015 06:52PM

Date: March 17, 2015 07:06PM

I think you were subliminally predisposed to "read" 24,000 because another said he "FELT" it was 24,000... :P

Date: March 17, 2015 07:09PM

"24,000+ square foot condo"

Right or wrong, look at some of the updated Monson-related property reports that I have provided below (with links to photos, locations and docs)--that is, if you "feel" predisposed to do "read."

:)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2015 07:16PM by steve benson.

Date: March 17, 2015 07:31PM

Steve, your source appears to be wrong. :)

You quoted another source as saying, "My understanding is that he does not live there much any more and now lives in the Church-owned apartment downtown (as Hinckley reportedly did) located on the top floor or 40 North State Street, Salt Lake City, Utah 84103.

Here is an ad for a typical apartment in the building referenced above. You will note that the apartment listed is only 828 sq ft.

http://www.trulia.com/homes/Utah/Salt_Lake_City/sold/20529849-40-N-State-St-4K-Salt-Lake-City-UT-84103

It is possible that a penthouse apartment in that building would be approximately 2400 sq ft. but certainly NOT 24,000 sq ft.

Date: March 17, 2015 07:37PM

Monson is reported to occupy the entire top floor of that complex.

When my grandfather lived there, he occupied a secured apartment--protected by 24-7 guards and doubled doors for entry first through a small foyer off the hallway and then into the actual apartment living quarters--but it did not take up the entire floor.

I know. I visited him there many times.

(As far as questioning my sources, please consider contacting one of them yourself. His board handle here on RfM is "Jesus Smith." He and I have talked, at his instigation, about the Eagle Gate apartment situation. He also has served a managing editor at Mormonthink. I'm sure if you want to communicate with him in this forum, you can start your own thread and, hopefully, he will see it and respond).

Anything else I can do for you, let me know. :)

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2015 07:57PM by steve benson.

Date: March 17, 2015 07:43PM

The County Assessor lists unit 8C as owned by the CORP OF THE PRESIDING BISHOP OF CH OF JC, the unit is 4556 sq ft and is assessed at $591,500 which is way below the true market value.

Date: March 17, 2015 07:45PM

I was not. Nice try at a personal attack, and thanks for your update. I have since provided you updates on Monson-owned property, in the event that you are interested.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2015 07:48PM by steve benson.

Date: March 17, 2015 07:57PM

This is not meant as a personal attack on you. And my simply calling you out on a error in your source information was certainly not on the scale of your comments regarding me on the other thread.

Date: March 17, 2015 07:58PM

Date: March 17, 2015 07:04PM

"Thomas Monson’s Homes (Updated)

"Thomas S. Monson’s home is ocated at 4125 Carter Circle, Salt Lake City, Utah.
It was supposedly surround by Church Security posters with the following written: 'Secured by CS Worldwide 1-800-537-9702'

"Link to security picture:

"There also seems to be a pathway from his house to another structure behind it. The backyard also appears to be quite large.

"My understanding is that he does not live there much any more and now lives in the Church-owned apartment downtown (as Hinckley reportedly did) located on the top floor or 40 North State Street, Salt Lake City, Utah 84103. I believe (I need verification) that it is the top floor apartment on the Northeast corner of State Street and South Temple. Notice the windows—I have been told they are bulletproof. I have also been told there is an elevator from the apartment that takes you directly to the vast tunnel system underneath Salt Lake connecting various Mormon buildings. Supposedly the tunnels are have yellow carpet and is fondly called “The Yellow Brick Road”. He is not the only apostle with residence there either (covered in future posts). In the pictures it is the darker colored building."

"It also appears that Thomas Monson and his wife Frances are the owners of a second home in the upscale Utah town of Midway. It is located at 140 Farm Road, Midway, Utah. The home is 1650 square feet on 1.7 acres and was built in 1977. Market Value in 2013 was estimated at $383,734 (pictured below).

"Here is property information from the Wasatch County site:

"Update:

"After a quick search , it appears Thomas and Frances have an additional property up Provo Canyon. A record can be found on the Utah County website. This home is located at 6742 North Fairfax Drive, Sundance, Utah 84604.

"Though modest, it is yet another property he has been able to afford. Zillow estimates its value around $216,000. It is a small one-bedroom, single story family Home. Information is below:
_____

(Again, for photos, aerial and ground, with assessment docs, etc., see the website for "Mormon Insider/Apostles' Homes," at:
https://mormoninsider.wordpress.com/category/apostles-homes/)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2015 07:06PM by steve benson.

Date: March 17, 2015 06:44PM

See "Apostles' Homes," on the website, "Mormon Insider," which provides assessemnts, valuations, locations and photographs of individkual GA personal living property. This is what it says about Packer's place:

"Boyd Packer has a nice home on a large piece of land in the Cottonwood Heights area of the Salt Lake Valley. His home is located at 1850 East Forest Bend Drive, Salt Lake City, UT 84121.

"It’s listed on Zillow as having 3 bedrooms, 3.75 bathrooms, being 5,239 square feet on 2.18 acres, and estimate the Market Value as $1,329,844. He also owns neighboring parcel of land that is 2.03 acres that Zillow lists the 2011 assessed value as $422,200. The Salt Lake County Assessor list the 2012 Market Values as $1,292,490 and $422,200, respectively. The combined total is then $1,714,690!"

For more on the other Blue Suits:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCYQFjAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fmormoninsider.wordpress.com%2Fcategory%2Fapostles-homes%2F&ei=r6wIVYmNI7LlsASDsoCYDw&usg=AFQjCNEga1OGTUkSpxnfxUwnTH9FQqLGFA&bvm=bv.88198703,d.cWc

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 06:49PM

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1850-Forest-Bend-Dr-Cottonwood-Heights-UT-84121/97754128_zpid/

I am happy to say that my house is worth at least $200K more than his... HA HA!

Posted by: iplayedjoe ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 07:00PM

"Assessed value" can often be 1/2 to 1/3 less than actual market value. It is the value that your property taxes are based on and I'm sure no property appraiser in SLC would show a low value to help out a "poor" GA on his taxes.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.