Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 12, 2012 05:21PM

In the Age of Information not making information "readily available" is a good excuse for organizations who really don't care what you believe as long as whatever it is benefits them.

Talk about tackling "tough issues" LDS style.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: November 12, 2012 06:20PM

This letter is a substantial and entirely reasonable challenge to the truthfulness of Mormonism and the church's blatant revisionism.

Church authorities will dismiss these concerns, but their apologetics are wearing thin. How much longer can they stand the heat? The elephant in the room is making things very uncomfortable.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: November 13, 2012 01:45AM

Wait a minute! Even the first paragraph is flawed. It says, "Unfortunately, some choose to dwell on half-truths or inaccurate information regarding the Church, its history, or its leaders, which often results in a crisis of faith and testimony."

Really? Is that what we've done? How about they tell the truth in the letter? Why not say, "Unfortunately, some are finding carefully hidden, negative information and lies perpetuated by the church, which nearly always results in a crisis of faith and testimony."

You know why they don't say that, it's because anyone reading the letter would wonder what hidden information and lies they hav been missing out on. That's why!

Posted by: ishmael ( )
Date: November 13, 2012 01:36PM

I would rather dwell on a half-truth than swill the outright lies the Corporation shills as gospel.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: November 13, 2012 07:42AM

I resigned because I found out the church has hunting reserves. The Jesus mall would have pissed me off even more if I was still a member. I'm sure you can find members that would deny their existence. My bishop said the hunting reserve story was completely false even though it appeared the the Deseret News.

Every religion has its ugly and often bloody history. The question is do you view the religion through history or do you say everything is god's will and you shouldn't question anything?

Did god really tell mormon prophets blacks couldn't have the priesthood until 1978? Or did BY have a problem with blacks, and the prophets after him didn't change the policy until forced to do so?

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: November 13, 2012 08:52AM

Good point on the black/priesthood thing. It was all caused by BY's racism, and probably some of the prophets who followed him. Then it became socially unacceptable, but how to change it when BY was a "prophet" presented a problem. The church finally had to cave for many reasons.

I've been disbelieved on many issues, including being called a fool last week for believing JS was a polygamist. The person won't believe it unless it's on lds.org, and we all know the church doesn't want his polygamy on there, easily found.

Posted by: anointed one ( )
Date: November 14, 2012 09:30AM

This is the reply I posted on your other thread asking me about the Chris Ralph letters :-

I don't know the Ralph family and am not surprised they have not received a reply.

I know the new Area President Jose Teixeira and his 1st counsellor Patrick Kearon. If anyone thinks it will help, I am willing to write to them on behalf of Chris.

However, as Chris states he knows Elder Kearon, I would suggest he writes to him personally and copies his bishop and stake president. That way he should be able to hold them to account as, in their instructions to priesthood leaders, they tell them to provide the best avilable answers to members' questions.

If that fails I would go to the British press with the story.

Tom

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.