Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Sawyer ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 06:02PM

Is Mormonism a more dignified, less gaudy, and more established version of the "prosperity gospel?"

Prosperity preachers, as seen on Television, promise their throngs of followers that if they perform certain spiritual activities, they will amass physical health and material blessings.

Prosperity preachers demand tithing from their followers. The preachers warn that if a believer stops tithing, the windows of heaven will close, and the material blessings will diminish. They preach that the more money someone gives, the more money they will receive in return. Prosperity Preachers call it "sowing and reaping." Mormons call it karma.

At the pinnacle of the prosperity gospel pyramid are leaders who enjoy an almost celebrity-like existence. It is interesting that many of the leaders of the prosperity gospel churches employ titles such as Apostle and Prophet. These titles demand a respect from the believing faithful and help enforce spiritual authority. Such it is with Mormonism.

Though Mormonism does not flaunt an overt prosperity message, it is permeated with a subtle health and wealth mentality which accords with the teachings of the pompous prosperity preachers. For the Mormon, if you tithe, you are deemed worthy and are given access to many spiritual blessings. These blessings often translate to physical blessings (a happy family, for example).

A Mormon's time, energy, and resources are expended to build up the wealth of an earthly kingdom (LDS Inc.) In Mormondome, material prosperity is often a sign of God's blessing. Mormon leaders are chosen among those who have accumulated an abundance of earthly goods. The rationale of these inspired callings is that these individuals are more flexible to serve the Church at large. If a good Mormon lives a faultless and worthy life, the Church promotes an idealistic reward of present and eternal prosperity.

What say you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Flyer ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 09:58PM

Yeah, well that's the definite vibe Mormonism gives off.

But is it truly a Christian belief? Or a desirable one?

It can be confusing because there are an awful lot of people who are well to do but who may not live Christian lives or be honest, decent, God fearing.

So does a prosperity religion have merit? How can someone who is a good, honest, hard working person who only makes minimum wage and never earns as much as someone else who earns more feel that they are blessed? Will they feel inferior due to their neighbor's greater material blessings? If they belong to a prosperity-focused religion, probably, yes, somewhat....

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 10:06PM

Date: October 01, 2010 10:25PM

To answer your question...

In the orthodox sense of the word, I do not believe the prosperity gospel is a truly Christian belief. It counters the full counsel of scripture, isolating specific versus that talk about blessing and discounting a vast amount of scripture that talks about suffering, meekness, persecution, etc.,

Date: October 01, 2010 10:41PM

This was indeed simply stated... and powerful.

You said in two sentences what it took me several paragraphs to state! Thanks for your response.

Posted by: Ishmael ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 10:31PM

The more you make the more they make.

And everyone gets their righteousness ticket punched in the process.

I agree with you, Sawyer.

Posted by: Jerad ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 11:35PM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 11:45PM

There are some distinct parallels. Never thought if it quite like that, but it fits.

Date: October 01, 2010 11:47PM

Yay - I thought of something that SusieQ#1 has not thought of. Now, THAT is an accomplishment... and a compliment to you, Susie!

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 12:52AM

Odd that I was just thinking about this today--my opinion is that the Prosperity Gospel is an off shoot of the fact that a large number of people in this era are in pretty good shape, so religion has to appeal to a certain amount "greed"; in days gone by religion was there to explain why three of your babies died in childbirth, or why your crops froze and you almost starved. JS promised people that they would have an eternal family in a much better place, but IIRC he also talked about literal treasure, and "consecrating" gentiles belongings to the LDS church (one reason they got kicked out of so many places.)
Sorry to ramble--bottom line is that IMO, part of the LDS mindset is that as the True Church (superior people that are "in on the secret"), they deserve wealth. Certainly others believe the same as well.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 01:23AM

My dad--who, being mood disordered, was kind of a job hopper and therefore not the best provider--fell for the line about paying tithing magically bringing in more money.

I wondered why the leaders were so much better off than the rest of the members, and was told it was because they were righteous and because men with more money have more time ... which of course is a lie, but you know, it was the Opposite World.

I wouldn't say it's more dignified, either. It's just a scam designed to bring more money to those who already have enough.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 03:15AM

Try it out, if you're a woman not allowed to work and prosper, except through your husband. Everything depends on HIS worthiness/success and not yours at all.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.