Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: almostThere ( )
Date: November 09, 2012 12:23PM

My TBM wife commented yesterday about how happy she is that we've been able to save more money lately. I also just finished off my school loans. I haven't paid tithing in months! Hooray!

(Sorry if this is bragging, I feel really lucky! It also helps to be reassured that God has not cursed me or taken blessings!)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: November 09, 2012 01:32PM

As part of our Separation Agreement I am splitting investments with my TBM ex-wife. She asked me if these funds had been tithed? My ex-wife let out an audible whimper when I told her, "No."

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: November 09, 2012 04:50PM

I've never heard of anyone paying tithing on investments. Its not income unless or until they are sold for more than you paid, minus holding costs.
Say you put $10,000 in the stock market. Its worth $15,000 at the end of the year. You give the church $5000. The next year, the market crashes, your portfolio is now worth $4000, less than half what you paid. So is the church gonna give you a refund from the year before??? Hah!

Posted by: absolutelyunsure ( )
Date: November 09, 2012 04:54PM

You should feel very lucky. My wife is afraid I will lose my job if we stop paying.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: November 10, 2012 01:21AM

DW has warned me that we'll suffer all sorts of misfortune. Even a blocked drain was attributed to my sinfulness at one point.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: November 09, 2012 09:52PM

The Mormon tithing system is unmatched among confidence games. Even when you discover the scam, you remain motivated to pay by means of guilt and fear.

Your relatives will provide the guilt, and church leaders will provide the fear. Don't hurt your family, don't risk your salvation.

How is this not extortion?

Posted by: guest ( )
Date: November 10, 2012 05:44PM

My mom gave my niece $28 for her birthday and told her its really $25, $3 is for tithing. My never mo husband and I are the most financially secure in the family. They constantly have money problems and unexpected bills, yet continue to shell out money to the church....while we get to go on family vacations and live comfortably. Not sure why they don't seem to ever question the reason for that!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 10, 2012 05:53PM

Even my TBM mom saw how ridiculous it was to send a check to the kids and then expect them to pay tithing on it. Our first (and only) tithing settlement with Bishop Jackwagon, he told a story about how his daughter got some money for her birthday and she dutifully took out $5.00 from it and paid tithing before she spent the rest. This particular daughter was probably 10 at the time. We'd never required this from our kids, as my mom hates to pay postage on gifts and always sends money instead. In fact, she sends the extra $10.00 she would have spent mailing the gift. She says she'd rather the kids have the money than the USPS.

Anyway, my TBM mom said "That's ridiculous - if I'd mailed your daughter a doll, would she have had to rip the arm off and put it in the tithing envelope because it was 10 percent of the doll? Why should your daughter be punished because I didn't want to go to the post office?"

Agreed, Mom.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: November 10, 2012 05:52PM

Someone said you can pay tithing directly to SLC and all your bishop gets is a notice saying you paid tithing, but not how much (sounds like a loop hole for the rich). If you have to pay tithing because of a TBM spouse, then send it to SLC instead.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.