Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pollyanna ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 07:59PM

A recent post brought up suggestions for going back to school. My close relative had an experience I want everyone to know about, and learn from.

Said relative is not very bright, saw the ad for a Utah trade school that starts with S, sent in a card, the next day they called him into their office, helped him fill out the paper work for student loans/grants. He was put in class immediately. No time for research or advice from others. With $$$ so readily available from the government it is too easy for trade schools to do this. (Another trade school that is mormon related also has been called out for doing this.)

This all happened before I could get involved and do anything about it. After grants and a certain amount was paid back, this relative ended up owing $10,000, and his education was worthless. I learned that he could have obtained the same classes at the local university for less money and a better education.

Said School (that starts with an S) has received numerous complaints but I see they are still advertizing (and lying) like crazy on TV.

Please alert everyone you know who might possibly get caught up in this scam.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 09:20PM

Could you report them to anyone?

Posted by: GenY ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 10:47PM

So while the proponents of for profit schools get richer their students are sacked with student loan debt while getting a worthless or near worthless degree with little ability to pay back the loan. This is a multi-billion dollar bubble waiting to burst.

I suggest for anyone intersted that they watch the PBS FRONTLINE special on the phenomenon of for profit schools.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/collegeinc/view/?utm_campaign=viewpage&utm_medium=grid&utm_source=grid

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.