Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Curious ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 02:51PM

I went to BYU years ago but honestly don't know the answer to this. Is paying tithing a requirement for LDS members to get an ecclesiastical endorsement at BYU? Can you be kicked out of BYU for failing to pay tithing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 04:02PM

In theory, to comply with the requirement to "fulfill their duty in the church" one would need to pay tithing. Therefore, logically, paying tithing is required.

Whether on or off campus or between semesters, all students are expected to abide by the Honor Code, which includes (1) the Academic Honesty Policy, (2) the Dress and Grooming Standards, and (3) the applicable Residential Living Standards. Students are required to be in good Honor Code standing to graduate.

LDS students must fulfill their duty in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, attend Church meetings, and abide by the rules and standards of the Church on and off campus.

Students who are not members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are also expected to maintain the same standards of conduct. They are encouraged to participate in services of their preferred religion. All students must be in good Honor Code standing to graduate, to receive a diploma, and to have the degree posted.

Quoted from: http://saas.byu.edu/catalog/2009-2010ucat/GeneralInfo/HonorCode.php#GoodStanding

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 09:06PM

So on christmas brake guys still have to shave even if they live in a diffrent state?

And they wonder why people think they are strange.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 04:08PM

but the, uh, dark figure in the new "I am an exmormon" video says you can get kicked out of BYU Idaho for not paying tithing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nI_oDceCo0

Posted by: Curious ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 08:02PM

I had seen the video and was surprised by this. I suppose it makes sense . . . if you aren't paying tithing than you are not fulfilling your membership duties and would be vulnerable to expulsion. I guess I had just never thought of this while a student at BYU Provo.

Posted by: Prophetess ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 09:09PM

It seemed pretty clear to me that the reason members pay less for tuition at BYU than non-members is because of paying tithing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.