Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 07:04PM

I've been planning a dinner party for about a week and invited a TBM couple to join us.

Long story short, the wife shows up and says, oh sorry DH isn't going to make it. The EQ just called him last minute for a meeting. I asked her what they're meeting about and if everything was ok since they called him SO last minute. She said noeverything is fine and that they're probably changing the HT routes, that's typically what they do at those meetings.

For some reason I didn't believe what she was telling me. Her voice was hesitant and she got all shifty eyed.

Um, WTF? Am I missing something here? Seriously what would be so important to call a last minute meeting like that? At 7 on a weekday?

If that guy wants to be a slave for the church fine by me, I'm just pissed he blew us off to do so after I cooked and cleaned all day to have them over.

I don't get it. Even my TBM DH would have said no, we have plans already (barring some emergency). I just thought it was so rude of him to do that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 07:11PM

Something came up--- I guess, and he didn't come. Stuff happens.
Hard to know for sure what is really going on, sounds like it's private.
Well, guess you just go ahead without him and have a good time.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 07:48PM

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 08:57PM

Yep, sounds like an excuse to me. Not much of a friend.

Posted by: motherwhoknows ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 08:21PM

I would never invite them to dinner again.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 08:46PM

Years of being Mormon and trying to have a social life around it caused us to invite people numerous times, plan, clean, cook, and then have them either cancel or even worse, stand us up. An ongoing theme of this board is how flaky, unpredictable, "ignernt," and rude Mormons are to each other.

Date: December 31, 2010 08:48PM

Ok I realize things come up and people flake. I've done it myself before for one reason or another.

I'm just curious if in fact there was a meeting, what would rise to the level of being so important that they would have to meet with no notice? Totally unplanned.

Just struck me as weird.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 01:31AM

Nothing short of the White Horse Prophecy unfolding or JuHEEsus' return would warrant such urgency.

Timothy

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 09:43PM

"Wow, and after I cleaned and cooked all day, too. That's so disappointing. I mean, I could understand if the church blew up, or flooded, or something...I guess they don't expect you to have a social life. Don't worry, I won't trouble the two of you again. It's obvious that you need to leave your calendar completely open for the church's needs. I hope that your sacrifices are appreciated." *smile*

Date: December 31, 2010 10:39PM

Love it!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 10:35PM

Funny how Mormons are so sure that people only leave the church because they are offended but never stop to realize how boorish and offensive Mormons are. Seriously, the rank and file of them have the worst manners and think anyone who comments on it is just anti-Mormon. Ugh.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 01:18AM

Probably lieing and doesn't want to go to your house. I've worked all day to make things nice for entertaining and have had that happen, Mormon or not.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 10:15AM

Bummer for you to cook and clean and prepare a nice evening for them, and get a last minute no-show from the husband.

The husband put DW in the awkward position of having to cover for him. She may well be angry at DH for his 11th hour unwillingness to accompany her, but as a loyal wife, did not feel free to say so.

In giving you the reason she gave you, it sounds like she was doing her best to spare your feelings.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 10:20AM

Next time make it a point to not invite them.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 01:30PM

if the lords representatives need anything, it takes precedent over everything else. The bishop wants something, you drop what you are doing and do what he wants.
This is the unwritten rule of first law of heaven and earth: obedience to the brethren.
Mormons tend to understand this and just accept it as the norm.
Others see it as lousy manners, and rude when it effects them.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 06:38PM

Mormons lack social polish.

Not showing up was extremely rude.
The husband should have told whoever called him that he already had a prior commitment.

BLowing off your invitation at the last minute, whatever the reason, shows a lack of respect for the hosts.
Don't invite them again.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 07:02PM

The guy accepted another invitation after accepting the one to your dinner party?

I've never heard of anything more rude!

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 07:07PM

Would the husband have blown off his guests for a meeting with the bishop? I doubt it. He could have begged off the meeting.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 07:51PM

Unless she accepted the invitation without consulting her? He might have told her to cancel to 'punish' her.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.