Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 05:20PM

So I spent some time with the TBM in-laws recently and spied a copy of the Church News. I didn't want to actually open it so I just had a look at the back cover. It was a thinly veiled demand for money.

The "article" was about the building of the temple of Solomon or a Tabernacle or some other building in the Old Testament. The people were tasked with donating their resources and their talents to make it truly worthy of God. Well of course the people were so generous with their giving that they had to turn much of it away. That's where I stopped reading. I recognized it as a plea for money and then more money after that. If the ancients could be that generous then the current saints should be too. "Give us more then give us more!"

The obvious problem is that the Mormon church already has such a surplus of money that they are building a four billion dollar mall. Yet when have you ever hear TSCC say "Enough, don't give us any more"?

Stupid cult.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 08:06PM

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 09:33PM

money out of their flock. After all, the pressure methods they've used in the past have produced results. Heaping guilt on the members to get them to give more of their time, talents and everything with which the Lord has blessed them is what the church does. Maybe it's more extreme in this economy but it's how they roll. What is sad is that people like my mom won't even flinch. They will just see it as a sign the second coming is near and that they have to be more sacrificing.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 09:54PM

Jw's were once taught that Armageddon and the End Of The World was coming in 1975. Many faithful members sold up homes and businesses and spent the remaining years leading up to 1975 preaching full time.

The church leaders encouraged them to do so and praised them as examples of great faith.

Nothing happened of course. Those outside of the delusion knew nothing would happen.

No one got a refund, no one was subsequently helped by the Watchtower Society because of its prophetic last days failure and BS teachings. In fact the Watchtower Society put the blame on the individuals for getting 'carried away by their own speculations'! Many left soon after.

Amazing what delusion does to people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2010 09:55PM by zeezrom.

Posted by: ExBozo ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 07:06PM

Yep, a friend's older family in the UK sold everything they owned and awaited the Raptor. It didn't come, and they lost all they had, but they stayed in the JW scam. Sad, but true.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 09:58PM

is give the giver some kind of little trinket! Maybe they would get more $$$ if they used the marketing technique of the large mega churches. They LOVE to get money and GIVE out little plaques, books, etc.

The more you give to the LDS Church the more you get "dish pan" hands from washing out toilets!

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 01:21AM

Maybe they should give them anointed hankies or something.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 02:55AM

... "this is not the time for you not to pay tithing"

This he said in context of the economic hard times. Last year. They're getting desperate.

Posted by: msnobody ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 03:46AM

Hey Stunted. Happy New Year!

We'll know they are really hard up for money when they start selling off their assets.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 04:30AM

Posted by: athreehourbore ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 10:52AM

I think the members are getting conditioned even more to support "the church" as a centralized entity or idea, and letting their stakes and wards slip further and further into drudgery, homogeny, and going through the weekly motions.

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 11:01AM

The Mormon cult leaders are just learning the same lessons...

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 06:47PM

Catholics usually make much smaller donations and they are voluntary, people give whatever they feel like giving.

I have never seen anyone hounded the way I've seen in the morg. No tithing settlements for Catholics LOL.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 07:48PM

Glo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Catholics usually make much smaller donations and
> they are voluntary, people give whatever they feel
> like giving.
>
> I have never seen anyone hounded the way I've
> seen in the morg. No tithing settlements for
> Catholics LOL.

That's true of the Church of England, too.

Perhaps TSCC needs to make up for the fall in tithing income from those who have seen substantial reductions in income and from those who are quitting TSCC? Plus all the construction deals Mr Hinckley got them into...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.