Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 02:21AM

I woke up on New Year's Day of 2010 with this inexplicable feeling of dread. I thought it was because this was the year I was just going to have to come clean about my disbelief in Mormonism and to a large extent I have. But it went better than expected.

On the other hand, I've had unusually high number of friends and associates die this year or receive a terminal diagnosis of one kind or another. I started to list all the misfortune I've personally witnessed in 2010 but it was so depressing and so long, I deleted it. It seems like a lot of my friends have expressed a similar sentiment - that this has been a weirdly difficult, depressing year. This has nothing to do with Mormonism. It seems to be raining on all people equally.

I'm so glad there is a new year starting. Hopefully 2011 will be good for all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Prophetess ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 02:25AM

another year, just getting by, waiting for things to get better.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 09:44AM

Ditto here. Financially, very stressful. But in other ways okay. Just hoping things improve.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 02:27AM

But it could have been worse. My husband is still alive. But it was a very very hard year for us. I am crossing my fingers for a better 2011.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 11:04AM

and keeping this board going at same time.
Life is nothing but a lottery, we don't have the option of picking & choosing our lot. A decade ago I woke up every morning repeating "I hate my life" now it is so incredibly different I couldn't even imagine then.

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 02:04PM

I too an sorry for the pain you express in your post, Susan. I hope your husband is okay and that you will have a better year.

I can remember when I was still TBM ,waking up every single day that last year, kind of like quinlansolo said above, only the words that came to every single morning were, "Am I still here?" I mean it was bad.

My life, though not easy, is far better than back then. Best to you, and thank you for all you do for us on the board here.

Posted by: Unindoctrinated ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 04:57PM

Susan I/S - My husband had a heart attack. Scared me senseless. I seriously envisioned myself a widow. And, I have two kids in college. The emotional me kept saying, "I'm going to be living alone from now on." The logical, left-brained me said, "The kids will have to drop out of school and get jobs. My salary alone won't keep them in school."

Anyway, he pulled through and is doing all right now. Whew!

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 02:28AM

Okay, but not great.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 06:56AM

Terrific year. I retired and moved to a place where the neighbor became a wonderful new friend. Two daughters married fine fellows and both decided separately to change their last names to our last name.

I gave up looking for love this year and decided to create more around me in the relationships I have with positive energy and that has been a real source of greater peace.

Anagrammy

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 07:08AM

But life goes on. Tonight I am having some friends and family over for a little year end ceremony. We are going to write down the worst events of 2010 on a slip of paper and then burn that paper in the fireplace. We will use the fire to each light a candle. Once everyoe is holding a lit candle we will each make a wish and blow that candles out.

Then drink a toas and play some games.

Posted by: SHL ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 10:10AM

This sounds like a great tradition! I'll have to start something like it in my group of friends.

My 2010 was worse than my 2009, but I did come out as an atheist to my extended family and friends and they took it rather well. I also gave birth to my second little girl after over a year of trying to conceive.

My husband lost the job he was expecting to stay with for the majority of his working career in Sept but he was offered a new job yesterday so I am looking forward to a much better 2011 for us.

Posted by: SHL ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 10:15AM

I'm in my younger years of adulthood, so forgive me if this is something that everyone has heard before...

A couple of days ago my dad was explaining how they managed to avoid driving in the huge snowfall that happened Wednesday in Utah by checking the weather and doing their drive the day before. He said: "Proper preparation prevents piss-poor performance."

I am going to take steps to properly prepare myself for 2011 so it isn't piss-poor.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 10:01AM

Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 10:22AM

We are fine. 2010 highlights below:

I told my mother where to go this past April. Haven't heard from her since. It was a last straw of many: Her intent was to blackmail us for information on what happened during a doctor's visit I had when I was a child. If I didn't tell her what happened, she was going to tell my DH that I was having an affair. I put a qick stop to that situation. Gone... no more bullsh*t for her ever again. If only my 55-year-old brother would grow a pair, he wouldn't have to put up with any crap either.

My MIL survived two heart attacks (dead stop, no pulse) and is fine right now. The next few years will be critical for her though.

LDS SP apologized for my excommunication. He said he didn't know why the bishop forced the excommunication through the system, but he did. SP didn't find just cause for the excommunication. Thanks for the apology!

On the fun side, I started a couple new hobbies: Marquetry and drawing and painting botanical illustrations. I created a rock garden near the front door containing spring bulbs and annuals.

All in all, not a bad year.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 11:19AM

Still alive,,glad I don't have to look for a job. Have some good friends,,traveled some,,overall not to bad.

Date: December 31, 2010 11:29AM

Was one of the most difficult years of my life, right up until Dec. 26th when I got back together with Col. Moroni and got my fairly tale ending!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2010 02:08PM by think4u.

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 11:38AM

I have some great memories tucked away for this year. A lot of it I'd like to forget but maybe I should try learning from the pain instead of wishing it away.

I think 2011 will be better - even if I lose my job I think 2011 will be better. I guess I'm a shameless optimist.

Stunted

Date: December 31, 2010 12:10PM

Should we all be shameless optimists, our lives would be a whole lot less stressful. I admire that quality, and wish I possessed more of it!

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 11:47AM

BUT.... My son is in a locked mental facility and doing well; they have plans to move him to a group home. Bosco is healthy and happy, living with me and my 83 year old aunt. Auntie lost her husband last year and her brother (my dad) this year, so it's good I'm here to fill the lonely hours. My youngest got engaged to a wonderful young man. My middle daughter is healthy and dating a nice guy. The worst is over. I've learned to meditate and do yoga and take care of my self. I'm going into 2011 in a lot better health than I was this time last year and maybe... just maybe, I'll get a job.

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 12:11PM

Over all it was a good enough year.
I traveled.......in fact, I did 7 trips to be with family and friends.......all within USA.
One trip was to Hawaii for TBM Dad's 92 birthday.
And one trip was to Arizona to TBM MIL's funeral.

I'm involved with 3 support groups. And it's actually a lot of fun.

Financially, it's the same. I'm living on social security, a lil part time job and a little investment cash. And I can afford to take trips.

My old friends and my new friends are here for me and I am here for them.

My adult children are doing well........and my grand daughters are terrific.

So all in all it's another year of loving, learning and being who I am.

K

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 01:47PM

There were some real extremes this year.

My academic department of 15 years was dissolved in a university reorganization (bad). My grandfather died unexpectedly just as my grandmother's dementia was ramping up (bad). My best friend/longtime secret crush and I came out to each other(good)leaving me feeling some hope that I might not die alone and be eaten by my cats, but it turned out to be a tough relationship transition that has ground to an abrupt halt due to the death of his father (bad) and his subsequent psychological breakdown. I'm sitting here pining like a 15 year old and crying to songs from the Glee soundtrack (pathetic, eh?) while he refuses contact with *any* friends or acquaintances (bad). Came out to my siblings and mom too (good). I have to hope that in 2011 the balance will shift in my favor a bit.

Posted by: npangel ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 01:52PM

2010-Transformation-BEST YEAR OF MY LIFE:

Divorced after 20 years of "existing" in a marriage to an adulterous, temple worthy sociopath. My son (the only child-thank goodness for that) is in college and I don't have to do the "mommy" deal (the worthless ex was a lousy excuse of a father). After losing 240 pounds of an evil con-artist (the ex), I then dropped 85 lbs and am in the best shape of my life. Thank God I am a nurse practitioner, because I am still financially secure. Have dated several professional men who know how to treat me like a lady-with class. Traveled to several places-Acadia, Maine in the fall, St Louis, Nashville, Orlando, etc. I am having the time of my life!!! 2011 looks even better!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 01:56PM

Had some health surprises, some ugliness from a relative, some fun times ... etc. Pretty much like the year before.
Youngest daughter was born on New Years Eve, many moons ago --! That New Year I won't forget! :-)

Happy to be alive and greeting 2011~ !!

Posted by: lynn ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 02:01PM

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 02:05PM

2009 was better than 2008. So, I'm making progress. I think 2011 will be even better. I'm hopeful for the future, and I'm happy.

Posted by: fallenangelblue ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 02:12PM

For the most part, it looks like everyone's year was pretty crappy. I sincerely hope that you can all look forward to some new beginnings in 2011. When you're down, there's nowhere left to go but up! As for myself, I am looking on the bright side of things. This year I officially resigned from the church, joined a great atheist group in my area, started school again, and went to my first Exmo conference where I met a lot of great people. I'm hoping that next year will be even better!

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 02:34PM

Not so bad for me. There were some disappointments and I did lose my aunt the day after Christmas, but we also had some good times. We got to take a wonderful all inclusive five day cruise with SeaDream Yacht Club and I have another one to look forward to sometime in 2011. I got to see some beloved family members that I hadn't seen in several years, including the aunt who just passed away. So it wasn't all bad or all good...

I have a feeling 2011 will be dramatic, though, starting with our next move coming up in April. We'll see what's around the bend.

Hope everyone here has a happy and prosperous new year.

Date: December 31, 2010 02:37PM

Even if a lot of people had trials this year, things have to go up in 2011. Weirdly, looking back on my life, the best years have been odd numbered years. I don't know why that is. For example, the first article I wrote that ended up on the cover of a magazine was in 1987 - two years earlier, I spent the summer backpacking around Europe. For some reason, even numbered years are bland. I have no big plans for 2011 but I do have optimism, which, as someone posted above, we should all have.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 05:18PM

A mixed year. Three reunions: DH's 40 law school and 50th high school, so two trips back to LA and visiting old places we once lived, then my 50th high school in SLC and meeting up with friends I haven't seen for almost as many years.

We had to cancel our Christmas trip to see our son and family because of DH's medical problem. He's quite a bit better now and we are going to our NY Eve party in Monterrey, although we won't be doing much rocking and rolling tonight. DH will have another surgical procedure Jan 4 and if it works out will mean he doesn't have to face a far more difficult surgery.

Several new babies among family and friends, and a second grandson on the way. All boys. Some day I hope someone will have a girl so I can shop for cute little girly outfits.

Three guys I once dated died last year, all in Utah. That is odd, but they were all several years older RMs. Glad I didn't marry any of them.

See--lots of looking back.

Posted by: mathematica ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 08:35PM

The last 2 years of my life have sucked incredibly. However, things seem to finally be turning the corner. Next year should get everything relatively back to normal, and I'll probably be in a better place in the long run than before all the crap in the last 2 years went down.

Date: December 31, 2010 09:22PM

Those are usually the ones where you learn the most. Sometimes though, I get tired of being a better person and just want a year off. lol

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 08:37PM

I'm a new man! I'm much more confident, I'm in better shape, and I have more money in the bank.

I fully expect more of the same in 2011.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 09:22PM

Overall it was a decent year, even though my hours at work have been drastically cut, at least I still have a job for now. My mom got married in Las Vegas in the summer, and now lives there. I do have TBM step siblings, some who live in Utah, but they are more accepting of non-Mormons than some of the local TBM's I've known.

One aunt on my dad's side of the family died of liver failure from alcoholism, and her sister caused some ugliness before and after her death. The other death was on my mom's side of the family, where my aunt's husband died suddenly of a massive heart attack in October.

Posted by: elfling ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 09:44PM

Financially tough, emotionally tough, academically/research/professionally amazing. So, like life, up and down

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 09:53PM

Looking forward to surgery next week. with luck it will save me from going blind. I've had four eye surgeries which haven't been terribly successeful, but I'm more confident that we're finally getting to the bottom of the situation and that's good.

Finacially, we're doing okay, but I see signs that others are not, and I'm concerned about them.

Date: December 31, 2010 09:57PM

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 05:56AM

I'm sorry to hear of your health problems. Tell Jerry to keep us posted on how you are doing.

Warmest wishes and postive thoughts being sent your way.

Love,
Shannon ;o)

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 11:33AM

I hope everything turns out well for you. You're in my thoughts and hopes for a healthy new year.

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 01:26AM

2010 was a pretty good year for me. I had started a job in November '09, that was only supposed to last until January 2010, but my contract kept getting extended (to March, then May, then July, then December--"this is the job that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends!), which was fine with me, even though it's 180 miles from home and I'm living in a motel during the week with my German Shepherd. It's money! I was told recently it was to end December 22, but on the 22nd, I was asked to stay till January 14. So we'll see when it really ends. In the meantime, I'm doing some serious job-hunting. And when I look at my paychecks, I think of all the tithing the Morg is NOT getting! And thanks to this job, I've been able to have work done to my folks' van, get Pop a new recliner for Father's day, get a Guardian alert pendant for my mother--and get new glasses! This is my first successful job since being disabled back in 2007.
I've been watching my (nevermo) mother decline, however. She gets around OK, but she's bent up pretty bad with osteoporosis. My sister made a remark about what she'd be like in 10 years and I told her that mom wouldn't likely be here in 5 years, let alone 10. Mom's 77. Pop just turned 83 on December 23rd (that is so NOT JS's birthday!) and he is the strong one of the 2, still able to drive and all.
Life has been very very good!
BTW--I am another Susan.
Other Susan

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 05:53AM

The jury is out on 2010. Not sure yet how it "worked out" for me.

I checked myself into detox/rehab last summer for alcoholism. (I had started drinking again after 17 years in the church. I had been a party girl in college, but converted to Mormonism and stopped drinking in my 20's). What started as a glass of wine while preparing dinner morphed into full-blown alcoholism in less than 2 years. It's in my genes so I guess I shouldn't have been so shocked.

So here I am trying to repair the trainwreck my life has become.

One good A.A. friend told me "sober" means:

Son
Of a
Bitch -
Everthing's
Reality!

That about sums up my situation. I'm sober, but it's overwhelming.

DH and I have been in marriage counseling for several months as well. I have absolutely no idea how it will all turn out. Could be good - could be horrible. Who knows???

2011 is a great big question mark for me. But I am sure I will face it sober . . . so I guess that's good, right?

;o)

P.S. I was also reunited with my adopted Russian daughter, Sasha, this year. She is now 18 and spent the holidays with us. I feel great peace from the healing that has occured in our relationship.

Posted by: Gideon-mytemplename ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 06:07AM

Wonderful!

I have not
hand a single mormon visitor
because I have relocated to a new address.

Its actually quite a relief.

Yes, it was a peaceful year!

Glad my life is no longer centered
on mormon activities.

It has been a long 'stuck'
which Im very happy I finally got out of it.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 10:54AM

In some ways 2010 was better for me, especially with my little business. At three of the shows I did in 2010, my total sales were up 50% at each.

On the job end, I only took 3 days of vacation. My boss is still nuts, but there's nothing out there so I just grimace and bear it. The worst was when we got a notice on November 15 that one of the cases we've been working on was being specially set for trial December 6, which meant that the vacation I was hoping to take Thanksgiving week (American Thanksgiving) was off, although my boss did let me come in late on Monday and Tuesday (which didn't really help me get the rest I desperately need). It also meant that beginning the Sunday after Thanksgiving, I worked EVERY SINGLE DAY, no day off, for 12 days. And what's worse, since we were on 2-hour call, we had to be in the office all day getting ready. All of a sudden, after waiting for all that time to go start the trial, the attorney gets an e-mail saying something to the effect of, "Oh, you're not going to trial right now. You're being postponed until the first part of February." I basically lost the vacation time that I was hoping to take, the rest I still desperately need. BUT, I'm still employed.

Posted by: Reinventing Grace ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 03:12PM

2010 was a good one for me.

I was sick with one thing or another most of 2009. 2010 was a clean slate, except for a minor cold in Jan and another one last week.

I'm in a medium-term relationship, nice to be tied down and comfy.

I bought a fabulous 1890 house, it had spent the last 40 years intermittently abandoned, crackhoused, squathoused, slumlord house. I'm halfway through restoration back to a pretty fabulous condition. By March I'll have a new place to live, carefully pimped out for my own lifestyle preferences. And land I own again for planting a garden and fruit trees.

In Dec 2009 I finally told a leechy ex-girlfriend/ex-business partner that I wouldn't provide any more financial support. 2010 has been a pure pleasure in that I haven't had to keep my brain cluttered with ways to fortify myself against her pesky pleadings and dread whenever a call with blocked ID comes in.

Financially about the same.

After a decade with remarkably few changes in the extended family, I lost my grandfather and my uncle. But one sibling is getting married, and another is having a kid.

2011 promises a fun new house, new work opportunities, and a possible new small business venture. Time will tell...

RG

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.