Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kolobite ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 12:14AM

Anybody else completely tired of hearing about Romney’s “charitable” giving. MORMON TITHING IS NOT CHARITABLE GIVING. REPEAT, MORMON TITHING IS NOT CHARITABLE GIVING. IT’S A BILL!!!!!! Mitt, like all other Mormons has to pay 10% of his gross income or else the following are consequences:
1) He can’t attend his own kids weddings performed in mormon temples.
2) He can’t attend any of his relatives weddings performed in mormon temples.
3) He can’t save his own dead relatives by being baptized for them.
4) He can’t learn of the secret handshakes and words needed to walk past angels when he dies.
5) His dead relatives can’t learn of the secret handshakes and words either.
6) He can’t hold any positions in the Church of any significance, especially if he likes to lead over others.
7) In most cases he can’t bless his own baby or baptize his own children or grandchildren.
8) He has to face the humiliation of not doing any of the above things and everyone in his family knowing about it.

Because of the coercive nature of mormon “tithing”, it’s actually a sign of weakness in Mitt Romney for him to pay the exhorbitant coercive fee to a Church that gives only 1.6% of it’s income to “humanitarian” aid. It’s far more impressive for someone to give charity to organizations that actually aren’t in the business of only building up themselves. Mitt should know better, because with 3 clicks of his mouse he should clearly be able to see what a crock it all is. Pass the word!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 12:33AM

You are correct Kolobite, and it's frustrating that the general public doesn't know this. Some of these high profile bloggers and media types really need to expose this deception. Tithing is a membership fee. Since when is purchasing something considered a donation?

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 12:37AM

Exactly correct. People should know where their dollars go. I do. I give to charity. My church posts where it's money goes. I have checks for other things I give to. Mormons who are high up the ladder are all about being money hungry robbers. Pay up or I will hurt you (emotional hurt).

Posted by: Que Sera ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 12:44AM

I agree: LDS tithing is not charity, other than the 1.6% of it Kolobite says goes to LDS' humanitarian aid. But, I don't stop there. Why is $$$ to other churches considered charity? (Again, other than the percentage of the $$$ that goes toward those churches' humanitarian works.) Yes, churches are non-profits. But non-profits do not equal charities. And it's $$$ to recognized charities that are tax-deductible. Also, the Constitution says (paraphrasing here) our government shall make no laws concerning religion. So, why doesn't the IRS limit the tax deduction to only that percentage going to a church's charitable aid, not the full tithing or donated amount?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 02:21AM

AGREE

except, it would be a CAN OF WORMS to parse the %s ofchurch $ going to 'actual' charity, wouldn't it?

either govt should allow it All or NONE.

I also think religion should pay taxes that support police/fire & general Local gov't; otherwise, it's being subsidized.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 03:14AM

Well, Glenn Beck said that MORmON tithins is charity.... but the dumb bastard also said that LDS Inc provides full disclosure on what it does with tithing funds. That shows what Glenn Beck really knows.

helping people to pay up by reminding them that Jesus likes to incinerate tithing dead beats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xaYMdHNILw

what is the business secret of Utah's largest corporation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=3LA_Eusla4o

getting ppl to the temple is important... but not more important than LDS INC ROI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWF_yCOKMcI

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 05:52AM

All churches need some form of support, but the mainstream Christian churches get by just fine on an average 2.7% (of gross) donation. Since LDS, Inc. gives so little to actual charity, it makes one wonder what it does with the rest of the money. No wonder the church invests so much in businesses and real estate.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 09:10AM

THe biggest reason that tithing is not charity is because it is EXPECTED. Members are taught that tithing is a COMMANDMENT. It is not something that you do out of the kindness of your heart. Pay up or suffer the consequences.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 01:36PM

Tithing is not a bill. It is extortion!!!

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 02:23PM

Why should Churches be responsible for stupid people?

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 02:23PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2012 02:24PM by quinlansolo.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 02:17PM

Here's something that should qualify for a tax deduction.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/55065830-90/park-national-zion-private.html.csp

Posted by: NoName ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 02:54PM

It is my understanding that tithing doesn't even really go to charity--only extra stuff you donate on the tithing slip or fast offerings do. Am I right? Isn't tithing money just money they put back into the church for buildings and ward stuff?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.