Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 05:57PM

I had just watched an episode of "Hoarders" and felt dirty afterwards, so I cleaned out a closet. It felt really good.

What I found was my old Personal Progress book. I thumbed through it and remembered just how hard I worked! I busted my butt doing all those projects.

I held onto the book. Couldn't throw that away.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chloe ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 06:05PM

The morg encourages obsessive compulsive behavior.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 06:11PM

Your so f***ing busy trying to earn your way to heaven, there's no time to stop and think "do I really want to be there with all these other mormons?"

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 06:12PM

Recently I finally committed my mission release letter and my last temple recommend to the paper shredder. It took some deep breathing to build up the courage— for some reason it seemed like shredding a part of myself.

Turns out that the actual shredding created no physical pain and was actually quite liberating. Sometimes it's healthy to let go.

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 06:13PM

I hated the projects in that book. I totally lacked motivation to do them. I was really busy in school and the projects seemed to take away time I'd rather spend doing something else. Most of the girls just half-assed their way through them just to get their necklace. When I saw the necklace was sold at every Deseret book store I realized what a sham all the hype over earning it was and quit working on it.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 11:40PM

the more it becomes part of you. The Morg understands that and asks for a lot of you, so you can't bear to leave. My mom is like that. She's all about Mormonism and it would probably kill her to leave, because it's in her DNA by now.

Many of those goals are good ones - be proud of yourself for what you accomplished.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 06:24AM

Years ago, I shredded my 'patriarchal blessing'

reading some of the other threads on patriarchal blessing, I recalled some of the (woolly) details in my own, but *very slightly* regretted not being able to look at it directly.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 06:46AM

yesterday, as my daughters gave me a hard time about not getting rid of old coats they didn't want anymore, we drug them out, put them on and took a picture with a commitment from me to get rid of them.

You know the rule--if you haven't worn it in 5 years you probably don't need it.

Posted by: SweetZ ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 07:07AM

There's nothing wrong with saving the book. It's interesting to go back years later and see what you wrote and what things you thought were important.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 05:50PM

It was hilarious!! I laughed my ass off when I saw that this pig had a photo of the Salt Lake temple on her wall. The best part was how she stole items to hoard. Her poor exasperated daughter hit the roof when they found the extended family genealogy originals that her mom had stolen and hoarded. Boy did she let the F-bombs FLY!! It was more than I could have hoped!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.