Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 11:13PM

If you ask me, I think Romney can clinch a debate win if he simply shouts out, "Now is the great day of my power!"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2012 10:52AM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rise ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 11:16PM

If you mean lie incessantly, then yes, it shall

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 11:19PM

I'm not the first one to bring this up -

But how can Romney swear to serve our country as president when he has already sworn in the temple to build up the Mormon kingdom?

This would be a crazy situation because of the secret temple oaths and the cult's demands for OBEDIENCE to morg leaders.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 11:27PM

No. Mormons lie too much to be able to stay consistent.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 11:29PM

Being Mormon, MITTâ„¢ has the ability to hear Satan telling his opponent what to say and a finely tuned sense of when he's being persecuted (i.e., most of the time). These attributes will help him look ridiculous.

And, because his belief in his latter-day-born American Mormon eliteness is so deeply ingrained, he'll appear confident while doing it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2012 11:38PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 11:37PM

It would only help if everything he says is scripted and he doesn't have to think on his feet.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 11:38PM

No!

As one who has debated with mormon missionaries, I can tell you that going off script can shut down their discussions fairly easily.

If mittens does well, it will be thanks to his Ivy League education with no thanks to the morg.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: September 28, 2012 12:18AM

Mitt has that special Apostle ability to 'know' that if it comes out of his own mouth it is true.

It starts young. You give your testimony with mom whispering in your ear. You are rewarded for saying what she said. You did it. You spoke the truth!

You stand for the first time as a youth and fervently bear the testimony that you have been taught. You believe that you believe it. You see that everyone is thrilled that you know the truth.

You go on your mission and you believe what you are saying. Not because it makes sense. Not because it has fact. You believe it because you are a member of the one true church and it is coming out of your mouth.

That is where I was up until close to the end.

Now consider Mitt in that same circumstance. Add to that the rich golden boy status that was his. Handsome son of the rich and the elite.

Anyone listening to him wanted to be part of that. Whatever he did, whatever he said, people wanted some. It didn't have to have substance. It just had to come out of his mouth. He came to believe his own publicity, the brainwashing was complete. He has achieved the highest degree of glory, he is God' elite.

That surety is attractive in an apostle with a rapt mormon audience. That surety was attractive for Mitt with a rapt mormon audience. It has given him the confidence to look presidential, but has it given him anything besides the look?

In the debate, the audience will not be rapt. They will be looking for fact. They will be looking for substance. Even the republicans are not rapt anymore.

This time when he speaks he may be the only person in the hall who believes what comes out of his mouth.

Posted by: Minnie ( )
Date: September 28, 2012 11:02AM

I agree, the I know this is true, even if it's only true somewhere in that imaginary universe that they've made up. It's a powerful statement, even if it premises a lie.

I can just hear him. 'I know Heavenly Father has called me as a bishop, stake president and now president to raise up a nation to him.' 'I know everything I've ever done or said has prepared me for this calling as president of the united states', 'I know I will win this election because Joseph Smith said so.'

Scary thing is I know he thinks all that is reality

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: September 28, 2012 11:13AM

Yes, thank you. That's what I was trying to say. The extreme self confidence is not based in reality. I really don't think he earned it the old fashioned way.

Posted by: Bicentennial Ex ( )
Date: September 28, 2012 12:53AM

It depends. I have a theory but I need some input first.

Did he serve on a stake high council? If so for how long?

It's common knowledge that he was a bishop and a stake president, but did he start out as the former and become the latter in a single jump?

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: September 28, 2012 12:53AM

I lived in Boston when he ran against Kennedy for the Senate. He was awesome in the first debates despite his Mormon upbringing. He was angry and outraged and didn't hold back his emotions.

Someone in SLC may have talked with him about his behavior in that first debate because in the next debate, he presented as calm and uninspiring. Many people remarked that they were hoping for more fire from him and when he didn't meet their expectations, he quickly lost favor with voters.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: September 28, 2012 12:59AM

Sure. He can practice his Holy Milkinzedick Priesthood.

With that, he will be able to raise his arm to the square and try to cast out Obama.

(not that I believe anything would come of that, but it would be funny as hell to watch)

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: September 28, 2012 05:40AM

Arm to the square: "Get thee behind me, Satan, err, Obama, thou art an offence unto me." *Dusts feet*

Looks to his help-meat, err, help-meet to make sure he done good.

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: September 28, 2012 01:05AM

"Sure. He can practice his Holy Milkinzedick Priesthood."
Ah ha ha ha!
you totally went there.
Awesome. lol!

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: September 28, 2012 01:08AM

No. For so much of Mitt's time -- especially that in the church, and even while on his mission -- he's been an authority figure. People in the church had to respect and defer to him. He's spent too much as a church leader, CEO, etc., to be able to deal effectively on the spot with someone who can refute everything he says with impunity. He can neither fire nor excommunicate Obama, so most of the time spent debating, he'll have to fight his gut reaction of either looking wounded or saying "How dare you say that to ME!"

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: September 28, 2012 09:47AM

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: September 28, 2012 01:22AM

He'll have to tune Ann out - she'll be standing there telling Obama to "Stop that!"

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: September 28, 2012 04:07AM

They come across as spoiled, whiny, clueless automatons.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 28, 2012 06:09AM

He will pray before each debate to have the companionship of the Holy Ghost to assist him to find the right words and arguments.
So if he tanks it's either that the Holy Ghost is a bad debater or Romney just isn't worthy.

Date: September 28, 2012 08:51AM

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2012 10:54AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Darksparks ( )

Will say, "...oh my, I hear the prayers of my favorite people wanting me to inspire Romney during the Presidential debates. And now they are even starving themselves in order to get my attention. So I better go down there again and help him out."

Not likely to happen.

Posted by: charles, formerly in charge ( )

Probably not. My first comment about the man the very first time I heard him speak publicly was "for a Mormon, he sure doesn't give speeches very well". I notice he has trouble articulating himself, he almost never finishes his sentences and he ends up rambling for the most part where a good straightforward reply would've been more efficient and clear.

Also those days for reading the BoM instead of say the Magna Carta or the Constitution made him a very poor public servant knowledge-wise. In the first heat of the Republican nomination, he was all but lambasted for his "I'll confer with my lawyers" answer on the question of whether Congress should be consulted first before going into war.

Posted by: alx71ut ( )
Date: September 28, 2012 09:06AM

Every new Deacon has more power than the Queen of England or the President of the United States. So now we see Mitt who is a High Priest and a former Stake President preparing for a debate. With all that power he has he certainly ought to have a very successful debate, especially with all the people who will be fasting for him to succeed on September 30th. However at this point it's going to take a miracle as InTrade is now giving him just 22% odds on winning the election. So I'm guessing he'll need something like Moses parting the Red Sea to pull it off ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqCTq3EeDcY

If God created the earth in 6 days then he can certainly help Romney win a few battleground states. However if Romney doesn't win then his political base is going to be blaming his religion for his malaise. And he'll make it harder for Mormons to run for office. Even if he wins he'll still make it harder for Mormons. Scrutiny just isn't something that Mormons are good at dealing with.

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: September 28, 2012 09:32AM

Is their really debate in church...during missions, callings etc???

I tend to think not so I don't think he has any kind of advantage...

As a church "leader" he is used to people agreeing with him.....

Posted by: What is Wanted ( )
Date: September 28, 2012 09:38AM

I am just waiting for Mitt to call President Obama.... "Osama" just like Holland did...lol

Date: September 28, 2012 09:42AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2012 09:42AM by steve benson.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: September 28, 2012 10:14AM

He could just ask everyone to fast, pray, and read the scriptures until they know he is the one to vote for. There is no need for facts, or outside resources.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: September 28, 2012 10:54AM

The raised right arm may not be a good idea - people might mistake it for the Nazi salute.

Date: September 28, 2012 10:55AM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,260590,260592#msg-260592

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2012 10:56AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 28, 2012 10:56AM

No. But at least he will have Satan to blame when he loses...

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: September 28, 2012 11:05AM

If he gets totally flustered he can always fall back on bearing his testimonkey...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.