Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: David Twede ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 08:58AM

My excommunication court has been canceled!!

I now call on members to help reform the church and take it back to being a charity with love and acceptance, rather than an oppressive empire building corporation.

http://mormonthinkblog2012.blogspot.com/2012/09/a-paisley-perestroika.html

We understand there is a fast this Sunday for Mitt Romney. If the members can fast for a wealthy politician, then they can wear paisley for the poor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2012 09:16AM by David Twede.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rise ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 09:00AM

Praise the lard!

Posted by: ragingphoenix ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 09:03AM

Woah! The news coverage made TSCC crawl back into it's cave like Shelob...

Is the issue dropped? They didn't want to meet with you at all?

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 09:08AM

Great news Dave. I think there is no question this matter was played well. Thanks to Steve and to all those with media connections. Dave your courage in the face of all this is inspiring. Hope to see you soon!

Posted by: mostcorrectedbook ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 09:13AM

Reform the church! That is exactly what I had been hoping. If only they would confess and drop all the falsehoods. They already have a good network of people and buildings.
Salvage what's left, and change to a really good church. I'm sure most of the members would be forgiving.
Protestant LDS anyone?

Posted by: abinadiburns ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 10:10AM

But I thought jesus was driving this bus! ???

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 10:23AM

Just because the bus is named Jesus, doesn't mean Jesus is driving.

Posted by: smithscars ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 09:20AM

Wow. Amazing

That was the right decision on their part otherwise its a sticky situation for them fighting against the truth. That also verifies your credibility. Congratulations, Great news for you & mormonthink !

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 09:26AM

Now they will spin it as, "Look how inaccurate RfM, MormonThhink, and the media are! They persecute us without cause. For the truth about us see LDS.org!"

Maybe they didn't intend it this way, but that's what they'll do now. It makes the most sense. After the campaign is over though and they have less to lose there may be a November 60 or so of people exed. It still might happen, fame and PR is fickle friend.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 09:26AM

That is very good news.

I suspect they haven't found anything or dishonest on Mormonthink and decided that you have no case to answer. As well as a relief for you, this decision absolutely vindicates the content on your website.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 09:27AM

Personally I don't want it reformed. I want it to wither and die like it is now under the leadership of the Lord's annointed and inspired.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2012 09:32AM by ozpoof.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 10:03AM

I tend to agree, but my pragmatic side says that this will not happen. So the next best thing would be to reform it, reduce its cult-like mentality and control, and become a mainstream christian organization, one that accepts all people and builds a better community of tolerance and acceptance. Lay off the politics, stop trying to legislate their agenda and forcing people to keep their mouths shut. Allow its history to come out, admit its mistakes, apologize for it and move on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2012 10:04AM by Mormoney.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 11:24AM

As a secular humanist, I can't see much good in Mormonism, even as a mainstream Christian church. I think the greatest legacy TSCC has left people with, those who have left and are yet to leave, is the ability of those who see through the lie that is Mormonism to then see through all other religions.

Human society doesn't need belief in a scary invisible daddy figure to develop compassion, empathy and love. In fact those societies that are most atheist are most peaceful and compassionate.

Romney's speech where he berated those who expect civilised society to provide all people with health care is typical of the religious right in the US. Every other Western nation looks at this with astonishment, as we do with the US obsession with religion.

I want the LDS CULT exposed, it's crimeys shouted from the rooftops, and its leaders knocked down to size. They ate not men if god. They are liars and theives.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 09:29AM

I enjoyed your blog post, and almost wished that we attended church in order to participate. It made me wonder what would happen in more and more members started paying their "full tithe" to SLC instead of to the ward. Money speaks.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 09:31AM

Why would any sane Church Official would want to touch you after seeing "Mormonthink". It's time to give them some credit; they are learning (albeit slowly) it doesn't pay to repeat bonehead excommunication, court spectacles.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 11:28AM

"This guy comes across as farcical person as it gets."

BUt yeah lets give the credit where credit is due....to the church right?

I rather think the credit goes to Dave for standing up to the church.

lets see what they do after the election...but yeah maybe they did learn something...did you?

just learning!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2012 11:29AM by bignevermo.

Posted by: SerendipityHappensnotloggedin ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 09:37AM

I'm glad for you if that's what you wanted, but I predict it won't be long before you are sent another invitation.

I'd love to see a revolution of the people in TSCC. The gayest Paisley shirts and flip flops for everyone. Perhaps it will usher in a kinder gentler era for TSCC but...

For me it's too late. I have already discovered that the old white men are false, the book of mormon is false, many of the core teachings are damaging to the soul. I'm out and never looking back.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 09:49AM

Best of luck in your reform efforts!

I have family that is still in.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 09:54AM

Gr8 news, but what's this about a Mitt Romney fast? Seriously?

Posted by: SuperBigGulp ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 09:59AM

How pathetic is the LDS church. Had it been anyone else other than David Twese, the managing editor of MormonThink.com, they would have went through with the "court hearings" for "apostasy" and that person would have been sent packing.

But because the story went viral and made world news, all the sudden the church loses the will to go through with a fight they picked.

Just shows what a bunch of cowards they really are.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 10:14AM

You're not gonna beat them easily.....

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 10:26AM

He already did.

If tscc excommunicates him later, it won't erase the bad press. Game, set, match!

Posted by: notanymore ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 10:00AM

I also don't want to see it reformed. I want to see it exposed for exactly what it is & I want to see this cult lose it's members to the point where they are left with nothing but the exposed truth. The Mormon church doesnt deserve reformation. Why reform lies?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2012 10:17AM by notanymore.

Posted by: David Twede ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 10:00AM

Here's the link saying the Mormons announced a fast for Mitt Romney this Sunday, the same day I was to be disciplined.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins/mormons-plan-to-fast-for-romney

If they can fast for a wealthy Politician, can they not wear paisley for the poor?
http://mormonthinkblog2012.blogspot.com/2012/09/a-paisley-perestroika.html

We believe the Mormon Moment is a Reformation turning point.

Thanks

Posted by: Outcast ( )

Love how they trample all over their own rules prohibiting political activity. No shortage of hypocrites and pharisees in Zion.

Posted by: lump ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 11:23AM

...it is not the church that is promoting the fast. It is some conservative members circulating an e-mail

Posted by: What is Wanted ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 11:43AM

The members are the church.

It is not the corporation who is circulating the email..... is your guess.

Posted by: SLDrone ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 10:42AM

What is the point of a Mormon "reformation" David. Although I find your methods ineffectual and even a little dishonest; even if you were successful what would be the point?

It's perfume on a dead fish. You cannot make a lie truth, you cannot create god where none exists. I think you already know that.

If you are interested in feeding the hungry and housing the homeless why don't you work to build something up rather than tear something else down? It is a legitimate question. What do you get personally out of attacking the Mormons other than some notoriety. Is that ultimately what you want? Otherwise, I think Habitat for Humanity is always looking for help.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 11:12AM

I'm inclined to think that the LDS Church will whitewash this incident, and it's likely not a lot will change... You and Steve Benson have come to that conclusion, and knowing Dave as I do, I think he recognizes that reality as well, but he managed a powerful statement, and MormonThink was in the news for a time... Most of all he managed to validate those in the church who've seen its excesses and they are a force to be reckoned with.

And Denial C. Peterson isn't farting as loudly in public as he used to...

Posted by: Cr@ig P@xton ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 11:38AM

SLDrone...You have always facinated me. I find your perspective so important and always balanced...I would SO LOVE to go to lunch with you some time...Is that even a posibility? (My Treat)

Posted by: Rachel Velamur ( )

Oh good, I am so glad to hear that. Yay for ex-mormon mobilization. :) And give my best wishes to the former editor - I'm sorry he was forced to resign.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 10:05AM

A bit of warning. It is dropped for now. What happens in December though is an entirely different manner.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 11:11AM

Wouldn't that be double jeopardy???

Posted by: lump ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 11:26AM

Posted by: justcallmestupid ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 10:15AM

Chickens! ;-)

I guess it's too much to hope that they, too, think it's time for reform.

Are you okay with being outed all over the internet, national and even some international press?

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 10:18AM

It would be pretty hard to "reform"a top down organization.

The morg caved,as usual, under public scrutiny and political pressure.
But that does not mean it can ever be fixed.

However, congratulations on your victory.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 10:24AM

Congratulations to David, and to those in the exmo blogosphere who maximized media exposure to the Twede Affair (TM).

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 10:34AM

Hmmmmmm? A mormon fast for Mitt Romney? Fasting as a "block" for politicial reasons. Now what kind of message does that send to a member? Or to the American public? Gee I wonder?

Oh. Congrats David! Exing you just isn't profitable at this particular time. Maybe later.

Posted by: Dufreyne ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 10:44AM

David:

Congratulations on this victory. Many kudos to everyone who participated in the strong show of support online (Daily Beast, Huffington, SL Trib, etc.).

Now that this particular emotional roller coaster is over, you now have the opportunity to decide for yourself (read have control) over your future with respect to the world of mormonism. You are now free to choose whether you will continue to have your name attached to this organization and all it stands for or whether you will sever ties of your own free will--either way, you are in the driver's seat.

Kind regards,

D

Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 11:04AM

Yes, they cancelled the court for the date in question, but more likely they are simply postponing it until after the election, when they won't care so much about public scrutiny. I doubt Dave is going to escape their long arm.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 11:12AM

Churches should not be excommunicating their members for any reason, especially the Mormon church during an election year when they have a dog in the race and the guy they want to excommunicate has posted unflattering truths about them and their dog on his website. DUH!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2012 11:20AM by wine country girl.

Posted by: brian ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 11:17AM

David, how were you informed it was cancelled? What was said/written?

Posted by: tig ( )

+1

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 11:18AM

I am no mormon nor should anyone be persecuted for their personal beliefs, but reading that page, clearly says to me that whoever wrote is not a "regular" mormon...

Talking about the "money changing" at the temple (like the old biblical days w/Jesus), clearly tells me that whoever wrote is NOT in line with the current mormon church...

I agree with the money changing part and see this across several religions, not just mormonism.

IMO whoever wrote this is not a mainstream mormon. Is he maybe a CoC type of mormon......

Just my 2 cents

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 11:23AM

"You're not like US."

Who says anyone has to be?

If you watch the church's "And I'm a Mormon" ads, none of the people featured seem like "mainstream mormons" either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2012 11:24AM by wine country girl.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 11:25AM

Since I've not been here in over a day, how did you receive this notice?

If they do try rescheduling, you could always say that you would be put in double jeopardy, which is against the law . . .

Posted by: liminal state ( )

Congratulations. Must feel good standing up to a bully and then watch them cower away :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.